DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone scare near Las Vegas Strip prompts FAA investigation into likely safety violations

Tree_Top_Flyer

Reactions
The video at the link has some information not in the text below.

KTNV Las Vegas, Nevada | 13 Action News | Channel 13 ABC |

ABC 13 - Drone scare near Las Vegas Strip prompts FAA investigation into likely safety violations

Posted: 11:58 PM, Nov 29, 2018 -
Updated: 2018-11-30 08:12:20Z

"LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating a reported drone sighting which prompted a warning to several tour helicopters flying above the Las Vegas Strip.

Air traffic control radio transmissions reveal a tour helicopter pilot noticed the drone flying approximately 500 feet below his aircraft around 7:00 p.m., Tuesday.

Maverick 38: "[Las Vegas] Tower, be advised, they're flying a drone right below me over the freeway between Aria and Panorama Towers"​

The area is heavily congested with traffic on I-15 and tour helicopters use the same corridor above I-15 to land at McCarran International Airport.

The controller in the McCarran tower immediately asks the pilot additional questions, according to radio transmissions.

Las Vegas Tower: "You said how far it was below you?" Maverick 38: "If I had to guess, I would say 500 feet."​

"It is very concerning to me as a pilot and as a drone pilot," said Dr. Chris Walach, the Director of the FAA-designated NV UAS test site.

Dr. Walach says whoever flew the drone was likely violating a number of rules in highly restricted airspace.

"There is approximately a 1 mile around the McCarran airport that's considered a no-fly area," said Dr. Walach.

"It doesn't matter if you request permission as a drone pilot, you are not going to be allowed that close to the end of the runway and particularly right off the Las Vegas Strip," added Dr. Walach.

A spokesperson for the FAA confirms there is an active investigation into the incident but could not provide additional details.

"I think what goes through any pilots mind, at a point like that, you want to make sure it's not coming after you especially in a helicopter where you have rotor blades that you don't want impacted," said ABC News Aviation Expert Lt. Colonel John Nance.

Nance says if the operator is found they could face stiff penalties.

Drones have come under fire before in Nevada, as recently as this year , when an airliner came dangerously close to a drone while on final approach to McCarran.

Experts say it is estimated drones violate airspace rules and regulations once every 7 hours across the United States.

A Maverick helicopter spokesperson declined to speak about the drone sighting."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would not want any drone to hit the tail rotor of a helicopter whether I was flying it or on the ground below it.

Last edited:
A commercial helicopter pilot friend I know was flying a survey crew with the doors off, and one of them let his orange surveyors vest fly. It hit the tail rotor and down went the bird. They were just taking off over steep terrain and the helicopter rolled down a short hill (It was a teardrop shaped MD530). Luckily, there was no fire and nobody was seriously hurt. Tail rotors are very delicate and a drone would definitely do a number on it.

Stirring up the drone hate. "Experts....every seven hours...." another example of irresponsible and unsubstantiated ignorance to provoke fear of drones. IF this was a drone and if the pilot is located and turns out to be illegal operation - throw the book at him/her but until then the "stories" do nothing but make it more difficult to ground our hobby/business in reality.

500 feet below him and it scared everyone? Sensationalism. Its not like that was a real safety concern, a drone wouldnt be able to overcome the downwash from the chopper and hit him.
But what kind of an idiot thinks there is a good reason to fly there anyway? Tell mne those shots havent been taken a thousand times before......

Reactions: Big Dazz and NetDep
Every 7 hours that’s sounds pretty good. I live in Vegas and didn’t hear about it.

The video at the link has some information not in the text below.

KTNV Las Vegas, Nevada | 13 Action News | Channel 13 ABC |

ABC 13 - Drone scare near Las Vegas Strip prompts FAA investigation into likely safety violations

Posted: 11:58 PM, Nov 29, 2018 -
Updated: 2018-11-30 08:12:20Z

"LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating a reported drone sighting which prompted a warning to several tour helicopters flying above the Las Vegas Strip.

Air traffic control radio transmissions reveal a tour helicopter pilot noticed the drone flying approximately 500 feet below his aircraft around 7:00 p.m., Tuesday.

Maverick 38: "[Las Vegas] Tower, be advised, they're flying a drone right below me over the freeway between Aria and Panorama Towers"​

The area is heavily congested with traffic on I-15 and tour helicopters use the same corridor above I-15 to land at McCarran International Airport.

The controller in the McCarran tower immediately asks the pilot additional questions, according to radio transmissions.

Las Vegas Tower: "You said how far it was below you?" Maverick 38: "If I had to guess, I would say 500 feet."​

"It is very concerning to me as a pilot and as a drone pilot," said Dr. Chris Walach, the Director of the FAA-designated NV UAS test site.

Dr. Walach says whoever flew the drone was likely violating a number of rules in highly restricted airspace.

"There is approximately a 1 mile around the McCarran airport that's considered a no-fly area," said Dr. Walach.

"It doesn't matter if you request permission as a drone pilot, you are not going to be allowed that close to the end of the runway and particularly right off the Las Vegas Strip," added Dr. Walach.

A spokesperson for the FAA confirms there is an active investigation into the incident but could not provide additional details.

"I think what goes through any pilots mind, at a point like that, you want to make sure it's not coming after you especially in a helicopter where you have rotor blades that you don't want impacted," said ABC News Aviation Expert Lt. Colonel John Nance.

Nance says if the operator is found they could face stiff penalties.

Drones have come under fire before in Nevada, as recently as this year , when an airliner came dangerously close to a drone while on final approach to McCarran.

Experts say it is estimated drones violate airspace rules and regulations once every 7 hours across the United States.

A Maverick helicopter spokesperson declined to speak about the drone sighting."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would not want any drone to hit the tail rotor of a helicopter whether I was flying it or on the ground below it.
Must’ve been a huge drone! Discernable as a drone against the Vegas Strip lights at 500’ distance - at night. Not saying it didn’t happen, just sounds a little amazing. I would say the either distance estimate is off (much closer) OR it’s a very large commercial drone of some kind. Probably not a Mavic.

Ha, reporter said drone was "in the path of a tour helicopter and several feet" over the freeway. What a bunch of sensationalist mumbo jumbo. 500 feet below the helicopters and close to the ground is not in the path of said helicopters.

Then the ATC mispoke in his alert saying it was "at 500 feet". Lot of vagueness happening...

Nevada and Las Vegas LE use drones. Just say'n

What is the lowest the tour helicopters are allowed to fly? And this drone he saw (at night!) with the Mark 1, Model 0 eyeball was 500 feet below him?

ETA: Skyline Tours says 1000' feet over Las Vegas - which jibes with 14 CFR 91.119 - but helicopters can fly lower if it is a FAA pre-approved flight plan. And the alleged drone was 500' feet lower.

Last edited:
Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Tour helicopter with no camera? Declines to comment......:confused:

What is the lowest the tour helicopters are allowed to fly? And this drone he saw (at night!) with the Mark 1, Model 0 eyeball was 500 feet below him?
3000'. Tour helicopter says the drone is 500' below him, so it was at 2500'. See 1:32 mark on the news video.

Strip tour helicopters have a Letter of Agreement to fly at 3000' MSL.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters