DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone shutting down engines before touchdown

felipeghiggi

Reactions
My Mavic Air 2 when landing it, the engines turn off a little before really touching the ground and ends up landing with a little force, I notice that when holding the stick down it gives the warning that it is starting the landing a little before the height that would normally give the warning. Has anyone had this problem or something similar?

Do you literally mean the motors and propellers stop rotating with the drone still in the air? "before really touching the ground" is ambiguous.
Referring to the manual.
Can you check the setting of the CSC response, page 38 & 39 is "Emergency Only"?
Can you confirm that you are applying only down stick i.e. you have the throttle fully closed with no yaw and no use of the other stick.

Last edited:
I'd try remote calibration to make sure it's working as it should

Do the motors and propellers stop with the drone in the air? Just answer yes or no please. I have no idea what you mean by "deactivated".

When any of my drones stop their motors those motors stop turning nigh on immediately, I am reasonably certain they are actively braked and they certainly do not 'coast' to a stop. So unless you MA2 behaves differently they will be either turning or not turning with no real in between stage.

Or perhaps you can shoot a video of what you are seeing.
Just for comparison with my Phantom 3, Mavic Mini, Mini 2 and Mavic 2 pro the motors are not turned off until the drone has been on the ground for a second or so.
With one of the Mavics I actually commanded it to take off again by giving full throttle before the motors had stopped and that drone had been solidly sat on the ground for a moment.

Last edited:
Do the motors and propellers stop with the drone in the air? Just answer yes or no please. I have no idea what you mean by "deactivated".

When any of my drones stop their motors those motors stop turning nigh on immediately, I am reasonably certain they are actively braked and they certainly do not 'coast' to a stop. So unless you MA2 behaves differently they will be either turning or not turning with no real in between stage.

Or perhaps you can shoot a video of what you are seeing.
Just for comparison with my Phantom 3, Mavic Mini, Mini 2 and Mavic 2 pro the motors are not turned off until the drone has been on the ground for a second or so.
With one of the Mavics I actually commanded it to take off again by giving full throttle before the motors had stopped and that drone had been solidly sat on the ground for a moment.
I'll try to explain better, when he's going to touch down, he's going to touch the ground, instead of landing softly as he did before and only after 1 or 2 seconds after being landed he turns off the engines, the engines are being turned off immediately or even before the entire drone landing gear touches the ground.

Do imu calibration to make sure its doin its thing correct,,something definitely not right , imu calibration sposed to fix any abnormal minor things,

Reactions: Yaros
Ah ok, something seems not right there.
Incidentally if you are going to try an IMU calibration it might be worth looking in the APP to see if you can see anything (readings) that indicates the IMU's current status and perhaps screen capture that. ( I came across such readings a few days ago when browsing a control app but I can't remember which app, Go4 or Fly, it was. ) Then do the calibration and see if the 'readings' have changed.

In the DJI Fly app, Compass and IMU should read NORMAL. If they read anything else, a calibration is needed.
1648941206221.png

I’ve seen that before I’m just about every DJI drone I’ve ever owned long as it’s not doing it from a couple inches a little bounce so should be fine and you’re very smart aircraft but they’re not perfect

I’ve seen that before I’m just about every DJI drone I’ve ever owned long as it’s not doing it from a couple inches a little bounce so should be fine and you’re very smart aircraft but they’re not perfect
The front landing gear touches the ground normally at the time of landing, but the rear landing gear touches hard when it is still about 2 cm in the air, that is, the engines are turned off before the drone is perfectly accommodated on the ground.

The manual says any new drone should have the IMU and compass calibrated, even is normal. At least I seem to recall reading it somewhere... lol.

Have you done these cals?

ps: The DJI Fly app will notify a user that landing has started when the drone is about a meter off the ground. It can vary a little, but this is pretty normal. The drone then lands, and once firmly on the ground the motors turn off. My drone is usually on the ground for a couple seconds before the motors stop spinning. And if it is windy at all, the drone can bounce around a bit during landing. Again, seems normal.

Last edited:
One thing that is important, is to let the drone advise you that the homepoint has been updated before you fly away. If you power on and lift off and move away too soon...it will update its homepoint too high off the ground. DJI has had this advisory since it made the Naza line of flight controllers. You might look at the number of satellites it has locked onto also.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird