DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Skins and Transport Canada

LGWishart

Reactions
Hi Canadians!

I am in Northern British Columbia. I am heading down to Vancouver for my in flight review for Transport Canada. Does anyone know the drag a skin causes? The skin provider does not have any exact information about it. Has anyone done the in flight review with a skin on their Mavic Pro 2. I just passed the advanced test and i am a bit concerned about the 30 questions that they ask during the review. I am guessing i had better know the drag answer! I got the skin because of my work environment visibility is more important than speed or endurance.

Any help is appreciated regarding this. L

A skin will add a small amount of weight and make the overall profile a tiny bit larger but the same shape. A really thick skin on a tiny drone is going to matter both for weight and the increased form drag. The thinner the skin or bigger the drone the smaller the difference.
The material could have lower skin friction than the drone itself or it might be higher. I'm not an aero expert but my understanding from other places (open wheel racing cars) makes me think more drag will come from the props than the bodywork, so the net effect of a skin is going to be tiny.

Reactions: LGWishart
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest