DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone sticker skins and eagles

Jimjoyhill

Reactions
I am new pilot and have encountered eagles already several times in different locations (did not know that there are so many of them on my surroundings). I was surprised to see that this is not at all uncommon and that the eagles as in fact interested about the drones. As it seems, these eagles spot my drone better than I spot them and they know exactly how to approach the target (behind and above). For me who tries to respect wildlife and keep my drone operational (be as far away as possible from the eagles), I wonder how I can avoid the eagles? Does anybody has experience, could those drone coloring or sticker skins, like camouflage decals, help in avoiding the eagles?

I would go the opposite of camo for two reasons: many birds have natural camo colors so this might even attract an eagle and a camo skin would make it harder to find if lost in the brush. I would go with the brightest, non-camo color I could find.

Reactions: grendeljaeger
I am with you on trying hard to respect the wildlife and I agree with Mossiback that bright colors will let them know your drone is not prey. During mating and nesting they will get very protective of their space so you will have to try and avoid them. Good luck and safe flying!

Reactions: Mossiback
My MP is black and a buddy of mine has a bright orange. Both of us still have issues with some birds of prey, mostly Eagles and Osprey. We also use strobes and those also don't seem to scare them off. But it's kind of hard to say color doesn't work, I just didn't see much difference in their reaction between the two different color quads we have.

Some farmers who have problems with raptors have had success with a “ballloon” called PredatorEyes. Think of a beach ball with huge eyes.
In nature some prey species have markings or features that look like large eyes to ward off predators.
I wonder if a skin with large eyes on the top rear area of the drone would give the eagles reason to reconsider.

I thank you all for the good comments. Based on your comments bright colors seem to be a good option for at least three reasons a) might cause eagles to reconsider i.e. not to eat, b) if attacked by the eagle or c) otherwise crashed could be more easily spotted from the ground. I'll go for the bright colors and consider also those big eyes!

Reactions: Kneebeard
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e