DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone stuck on bridge!

Shawn Paul

Reactions
Well, if anyone would like to join a Drone Rescue OP by Six Flags Magic Mountain let me know! My Air is crash landed (sort of) on an I-beam of a small walking bridge about 25 ft in the air. I'm working in Valencia, CA for another week or so but would like to rescue my Drone ASAP! I have 2 Minis that could help with the extraction but the weight of the air would surely bring them both down. Ideas?

Reactions: Mavic Mini
Well, if anyone would like to join a Drone Rescue OP by Six Flags Magic Mountain let me know! My Air is crash landed (sort of) on an I-beam of a small walking bridge about 25 ft in the air. I'm working in Valencia, CA for another week or so but would like to rescue my Drone ASAP! I have 2 Minis that could help with the extraction but the weight of the air would surely bring them both down. Ideas?

This is a long shot but if it landed , did you try to remote start the drone ? You mention crash sort of , is there any battery left in the Air ? You might just need line of sight if that is the case. Good Luck

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain .

Hey Phantom thanks for your input! I flew my Mini up to get an eyeball on the Air. One can't see it from below. It's resting on it's side leaning its back against the red iron of the I Beam. I'll send a pic lol. Lights still burning. Poor thing is all alone tonight... But. I know exactly where it rests and it ain't going anywhere! 25 ft in the air.

If the props Could be forced to start, the Air would most certainly fall from a precipitous height. It's probably about 75 ft to the ground from the walking bridge. That's why I'm trying to find a cohort. I might be able to use a couple sticks of pvc and a big **** fishing net... The thing is I try to photograph the close stuff and that as we all know leads to this kind of thing! And some awesome video!

Attachments

• OH ****.jpg
    OH ****.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 530
  • Haha
Reactions: Malcx
If the props Could be forced to start, the Air would most certainly fall from a precipitous height. It's probably about 75 ft to the ground from the walking bridge. That's why I'm trying to find a cohort. I might be able to use a couple sticks of pvc and a big **** fishing net... The thing is I try to photograph the close stuff and that as we all know leads to this kind of thing! And some awesome video!

OH BOY ! That angle that high and what is down below ?

The Mini is looking at the horizon. The drop to the Rocks, Meandering Streams, Bushes, and Trees is about 75 ft from where it lays.

Fortunately it doesn't rain much in LA!

The bad news is 75 ft , most likely your not going to do well with the fishing net.
The remote start might have been you best bet with 75 ft to regain some stability as that is possible with no one down below, I would have gone for it. lol

Than again it might not have let you take off most likely as that angle is more than we have used on the lunar pads for take off.
So we know they can take off at angles but not sure on that angle.

I will test that out tomorrow just so i know . The problem with the rescue mission is that judging distance that high with the beam as your warning guide could take down the rescue drone, you may need to let the Fire Department know and they may get it down for you if they feel it is a threat.

That why I would have tried the remote start when you had that chance.
Its going to be a long night for her. # 3 is alive . ;)

Last edited:
Unfortunately (as I know having gone back to rescue my own drone with a ladder and a pole onto which I'd taped a hook improvised from stiff wire ) after impact the drone may want to be rebooted before it will spin the props up.

If you have another drone, FIT PROP GUARDS and nudge the stuck one off. However how you catch it is another matter. Getting a drone with sufficient lifting capacity close enough and then attaching the stuck one to it is going to be challenging to say the least.

Reactions: lannes and aquasun
I'd give the local fire department a try. I was a volunteer firefighter for a while and we were always looking for practice situations. You just may get lucky and find they are looking for a real world situation / simulation rescue. Can't hurt to try. A couple of boxes of beer can work wonders in some fire halls! Good luck!

Along the same vein as PacRav, you could contact some local mountain climbing clubs. Maybe for a few bucks or beers.

That is a sad sad sight...I think the fire dept. idea has a chance of working.

I think a phantom 3 adv would lift it, I have used one to pick another off the ground and their take off weight is 1280g, I think the Mavic air's is 430g.
It's tricky flying and I am not sure if I would attempt to actually lift the Mavic Air and then lower it or just try to dislodge it but if you go for dislodging make sure the 'hook' is weak enough to 'straighten' and not hold mavic in the air.
If you go for lift and lower I would try to get the lifting string 'taut' and vertical before the Mavic comes off the beam i.e. aim for minimal swinging about, then get them down as quickly as possible

I'd give the local fire department a try. I was a volunteer firefighter for a while and we were always looking for practice situations. You just may get lucky and find they are looking for a real world situation / simulation rescue. Can't hurt to try. A couple of boxes of beer can work wonders in some fire halls! Good luck!
Oh do I feel lucky all right! I'm praying for a drone loving first responder!

Reactions: hiflyer201
There's a Hero in the LA area who needed no cape to make a spectacular Drone Rescue in what is now being called The Miracle on Magic Mountain! My heartfelt thanks go out to portermann and his Family for taking the time and the personal risk to save a stranded Air. There's talk amongst my DJI children of elevating The Mann to Sainthood. Send up the White Smoke!
Thank you Portermann. Thank you.

Shawn Paul

There's a Hero in the LA area who needed no cape to make a spectacular Drone Rescue in what is now being called The Miracle on Magic Mountain! My heartfelt thanks go out to portermann and his Family for taking the time and the personal risk to save a stranded Air. There's talk amongst my DJI children of elevating The Mann to Sainthood. Send up the White Smoke!

Shawn Paul
Pics and video will follow soon!

Shawn Paul
No worries. I'm glad to be able to use my skills and help a fellow pilot safely retrieve their AC. Just pass the karma around.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest