DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone turning upside down in midflight. Why?

afarkas

Reactions
I see many videos where the drone is turning upside down in midflight with no obvious reason. Why can that happen?
Thanks

I see many videos where the drone is turning upside down in midflight with no obvious reason. Why can that happen?
Thanks

Are you referring to the videos where the pilot shuts off the motors thus free falling in order to drop from a height quicker ?

I see many videos where the drone is turning upside down in midflight with no obvious reason
Are you sure it's not just the gimbal turning? Got links to those videos?

Reactions: Kilrah
probably watching people flying Acro mode if my mav was upside down i would be very worried

No, i dont think its motors off... The drone starts to shake and turn in every direction and then its upside down but we can still hear the motor working...
Im watching the "Epic drone crash & fail compilation" sets on youtube... There are plenty examples of this...
Mostly it hapens to Phantom-like built drones...
Are you referring to the videos where the pilot shuts off the motors thus free falling in order to drop from a height quicker ?

Reactions: Former Member
what you are seeing is the drone falling because of some fault that happened during flight there are many many Phantom look a likes on the market and many of them have problems with there systems and props coming off due to improper fitment the early flight controllers were not as reliable as they are now

As a spark owner I have hand landed and flipped it to turn it off. I now have both Mavic 2s and it’s much harder to do. If I hand land, what is the normal way of shutting it off if I only have one hand on controller?

When a drone gets turned upside down, it will try to right itself. If it's beyond an angle where it's able to do this, it will try to right itself right into the ground and create a smokey, flaming wreck.

How often do drone crashes become smokey, flaming wrecks? I don’t fly in such a risky way that would risk crashing hard enough to damage the battery, it’s just that I am going commercial soon and started reading about liability insurance...

Reactions: mereflyer
How often do drone crashes become smokey, flaming wrecks? I don’t fly in such a risky way that would risk crashing hard enough to damage the battery, it’s just that I am going commercial soon and started reading about liability insurance...

Not often at all, usually when they flip upside down and the battery catches fire. Only seen it happen a few times but when it does, it's quite a spectacle.

As a spark owner I have hand landed and flipped it to turn it off. I now have both Mavic 2s and it’s much harder to do. If I hand land, what is the normal way of shutting it off if I only have one hand on controller?

Just continue to hold the left stick down like you are landing and it will stop to the motors after a second or two.

Not often at all, usually when they flip upside down and the battery catches fire. Only seen it happen a few times but when it does, it's quite a spectacle.
So the battery free fell? That’s good news- as long as they are still in the drone and better protected then. I am strapping mine in as well as always checking both sides for positive lock during installation. I would hate to be the cause of a wildfire or housefire due to a battery fire during flight, that $1M liability insurance wouldn’t cover it.

So the battery free fell? That’s good news- as long as they are still in the drone and better protected then. I am strapping mine in as well as always checking both sides for positive lock during installation. I would hate to be the cause of a wildfire or housefire due to a battery fire during flight, that $1M liability insurance wouldn’t cover it.

No, the battery caught fire inside the drone!

No, the battery caught fire inside the drone!

Is that why it flipped? Ok, do the M2 batteries have better thermal overload protection? Even though I set it on bricks near my fireplace hearth to recharge them, I always cringe when I recharge my batteries using that battery tray. If one of them goes, its likely to take out the other three with it.

who says its mavic? i even wrote its mostly phantom-like-built drones that i saw doing it...
My apologies. I thought you were worried that it could happen to you.

To answer your question, reasons it can happen:
• Prop failure (not properly attached or over-stressed)
• Motor failure
• Arm failure
• Part failure due to damage from earlier crash

There are a lot of cheap drones out there that are prone to failure and some pilots may not do the best job performing pre-flight checks.

Many race or toy drones have flip capabilities. It takes them a few feet to recover altitude when you do the flip trick.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji