DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Use in Utah State Parks?

Xenor

Reactions
I am visiting Utah soon and planning to bring my Mini 2 with me. I've done a lot of research and know the places where I can't fly my drone but I am struggling to find any information on Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Goosenecks State Park and Kodachrome Basin.

There doesn't seem to be any information about flying drones in these parks like there is for Dead Horse, Goblin Valley and Snow Canyon.

Dead Horse is off limits this time of year. On Goblin Valley, I understand you can purchase a permit for $10 from the visitor center but I guess this means I am out of luck if I am visiting the park outside of visitor center opening hours?

For Snow Canyon, I have obtained a permit to fly from the Snow Canyon Scenic Overlook. But I have seen drone videos of the nearby Cinder Cone that is on the edge of the park. I'm guessing for that people take off outside of the boundaries of the park, or just break the rules (I won't do that).

Does anyone here have experience of flying in this part of Utah and can offer advice?

Thanks baristabob.

I did actually come across that Coral Pink Page myself when searching, some good footage there. But you have to be careful when reading such websites (as I'm sure you know) that some people will fly and post stuff online that they aren't supposed to.

I guess the best thing I can do is either contact the parks before going, or ask them when I get there.

Hi, you are heading to some great locations. I've flown at all you mentioned except snow canyon. I couldn't find any information about Coral Pink Sand Dunes, so I flew from outside of the park on a very cold and snowy day when no one was around. The guard post was vacant and I didn't find any postings regarding drones, but that was a few years back.

I have flown with a permit at Dead Horse, Goblin Valley and Goosenecks - but like Dead Horse Point, permits are only issued for Goosenecks from November 1 through the end of February. The staff at Goblin Valley seemed very appreciative that someone came with the form filled out - you can print it from the website (link below). During off-hours there is a bin to drop envelopes into for fees. I suppose that's short of having a permit issued, but as you mentioned, perhaps a quick call to the park may be informative. They only asked to not fly over the ranger living area, and if you go down into the goblin area to not disturb other people.

I'll be back at Kodachrome in a few weeks and plan to ask about their policy, but even if they are allowed, my guess would be that they only allow permits during Nov-Feb. The park gets filled with campers during the warmer months.

There are some excellent BLM areas as well, depending on where you will be. Monument Valley is a no-no, but Valley of the Gods and Mexican Hat (both minutes from Goosenecks) are fantastic. I spent about 7 hours in Valley of the Gods one day in February a couple of years back and never saw a human the whole time.

And just prior to entering the southern entrance of Canyonlands off of Rt 211 there are fantastic places to fly - combo of BLM and private land, not National Park. That's a couple of hours north of Valley of the Gods.

Two more worth mentioning - Route 95 (accessible from Rt 191) heads west toward Lake Powell or Hanksville. The scenery from that road is fantastic, and as I understand it, most of the areas are BLM. If you take it to Hanksville and then head west on 24 about 10 miles, there is a location called Factory Butte Recreation Area, managed by the BLM. There are countless video examples of people using their drones to track cars and motorcycles there, with Factory Butte in the background. The surroundings look like another planet in some places.

Here are few references. Have a great time.

Reactions: ghutch and Xenor
Thanks GDadd, very informative!

Yeah I think taking a completed permit form to the visitor center when I arrive might be the way to go, unless I can get one in advance as I did for Snow Canyon. Rather have everything sorted before I travel if possible.

I suspect you may be right on the November to March only thing though. It makes sense to not allow flying when the parks are at their busiest. But it is worth asking anyway as only Dead Horse seem to mention online about restrictions by month. I'm camping at Goblin Valley so could easily fly when no one is around but I arrive late and leave early so I won't be able to speak with any park officials whilst I'm there.

To be honest I'm tempted to skip Kodachrome. I've been before and only liked the idea of going back for a short stop, if drones are allowed. More convenient on my way to Zion is Red Canyon, and it looks like drones can be flown there as it isn't under the NPS system or a state park (unless I'm wrong). Although I suspect by the time I arrive there after morning sight seeing in Bryce Canyon it will be too busy to fly at Red Canyon. I generally don't fly unless there are no people near me.

I have added Mexican Hat to my list but I decided against Valley of the Gods because I am not sure I want to tackle those dirt roads in a 2WD rental vehicle.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I will check out route 95, although I suspect my itinerary may be too busy to fit that in unless it isn't too much of a detour to get to the good spots. Will have to see. I agree totally on route 24, I have seen photos and videos from drones in that area. I decided I couldn't get near Factory Butte without a 4WD car but there is a trail at North Caineville Mesa that has similar scenery that I am planning to stop at to do a short hike/fly before I get to Capital Reef.

Also found a lesser known spot in Arizona where I can fly - the Little Painted Desert County Park overlook near Winslow.

Last edited:
The Factory Butte area is mostly flat. If you don’t feel comfortable with a 2WD vehicle, as you continue down 24 toward Capitol Reef there are many buttes which have similar characteristics and you can fly from the side of the road. I used a Mini 2 there and it performed well, catching some nice shots and video. The straight down views are other-worldly.

From the locations you mentioned and in between, you should have plenty of memorable opportunities.

That sounds like a good plan, I think I will just stop whenever I see a pull out on the 24. Factory Butte road does look quite smooth from what I can see on Google so I may try it. The landscape in that area is so beautiful I'm surprised they haven't made a state park out of it and made it more accessible. Most people probably just drive straight past on the way to/from an over crowded Arches.

Just remembered I'm making a trip to Little Wild Horse Canyon as well. I think I can fly there as well. Obviously not inside the slot canyon but from the entrance area.

I'm excited for the drone opportunities. I was tempted to leave it at home on this trip since they're banned from the main stops on my trip, but a bit of research and there are plenty of places to fly within the rules on the roads between the national parks.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake