DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone video files management

B#3

Reactions
Greetings!

I have been struggling a lot with dealing with my drone footages in an efficient manner. I have been mostly going the old way folder and date structure with my Mavic air but having bought a Air2s recently and planning to fly more, I feel the need to improve my workflow.

For photography pictures, I have been mostly happy with Lightroom especially since starting working with collections.
  • I import my pictures physically by date
  • later on I am able to classify my pictures in various sets of collection for specific purposes.
  • I can classify one given picture in several collections, work on different editing (virtual copy) all with only 1 physical picture.
I struggle to find something somewhat similar software for videos to put in order my drone footage in pre editing ( by pre editing I mean before working in Imovie, FCPX, Premiere or DaVinci Resolve).

Given the size of Drone footage I would also like to be able to easily trim some of my original footage as storing a 5min video where I only have 10 sec of worthy material is quickly becoming a storage issue. The ability to physically classify by date and then to classify within collections in the software interface without creating new physical videos would be huge.

I'm considering trying KYNO. Any feedback or suggestions on using different softwares or working differently ?

Huge thanks in advance

Had a look at KYNO recently, very impressive. Reasonably priced and they have a free trial.

KYNO didn’t work for me. It is mostly an ingest tool and does nothing for organization and library management. What has worked is building a library management tool from Resolve by building a new database for storing all my drone footage. You can selectively export from it to any specific project without duplicating the footage. You could use KYNO to select the footage to go into the library, saving space there, or use Resolve’s media management tools for selective importing into the master library.

Reactions: merak75
I use NeoFinder on my Mac and it is an excellent catalog program. There is a PC version. It can use Metadata, camera, file type and you can create folders that find images or videos from a certain camera between certain dates. Free trial available. As I acquire more and more pictures and video clips it has become invaluable. Chaos reigns on my drives without this gem. Give it a try and restore sanity and simplicity.

Greetings!

I have been struggling a lot with dealing with my drone footages in an efficient manner. I have been mostly going the old way folder and date structure with my Mavic air but having bought a Air2s recently and planning to fly more, I feel the need to improve my workflow.

For photography pictures, I have been mostly happy with Lightroom especially since starting working with collections.
  • I import my pictures physically by date
  • later on I am able to classify my pictures in various sets of collection for specific purposes.
  • I can classify one given picture in several collections, work on different editing (virtual copy) all with only 1 physical picture.
I struggle to find something somewhat similar software for videos to put in order my drone footage in pre editing ( by pre editing I mean before working in Imovie, FCPX, Premiere or DaVinci Resolve).

Given the size of Drone footage I would also like to be able to easily trim some of my original footage as storing a 5min video where I only have 10 sec of worthy material is quickly becoming a storage issue. The ability to physically classify by date and then to classify within collections in the software interface without creating new physical videos would be huge.

I'm considering trying KYNO. Any feedback or suggestions on using different softwares or working differently ?

Huge thanks in advance
I am using Premiere Pro, but it doesn't really matter. My videos are a combination of stills, and videos.

My main folder is labelled ASSETS.
Within the main folder I sort by date of filming as follows for each day- (e.g.: day 1,day 2....)
drone videos
drone stills
Nikon stills
iPhone stills
timelapse videos
Osmo Pocket video
Osmo Pocket stills
OM4 (gimbal) iPhone stills
OM4 (gimbal) iPhone videos

So in each days folder, I deal with each of these subfolders.

I also have a music folder.

So I have opened and attached

Reactions: merak75
You might want to try messing around with Adobe Bridge. I personally use Bridge to add keywords to my clips (which are searchable from Premiere's project panel) to make sort of pseudo-collections. Bridge has similar file management features to Lightroom, but it works with all file types, not just images, so you could preview your clips there and (theoretically at least) organize your clips into collections, rate them, etc., though I think the keywords are the only piece actually accessible in Premiere.

There's also Prelude, which is Adobe's pre-pro/ingest/logging utility, which might have some of the features you're looking for (I know there's a way to trim down clips in it, but I've never really used it myself so I don't know if it'd be a good fit), though I think I saw it's being deprecated soon maybe?

I use FastStone viewer (Windows only but there's similar for Mac) to download my photos and videos (drone and otherwise) from the SD cards into dated folders. Everything goes there first and then goes to project folders for specific videos I'm editing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie