DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone video

Yea the video was pretty long, from now on im gonna do much shorter. Location is stavanger in norway. Cheers

Reactions: Thomas B
Good control & some brave flying – over water & under bridges at distance, brave in my book

Thanks, I get an idea and I just go for it. Its my first video and editing and now im getting more ideas and places to capture some awesome footage and make them into a small video with editing and music.

Random thoughts as I watched it;
1. way too long
2. needed some color correction or some "pop" or increased contrast in post
3. very brave approach to that big bridge- scared me to death- I thought you were going to go under it and hit the big oncoming boat
4. Also very brave approach to the windows of the cruise ship- fears of flying into the windows- yikes!
5. for a first time, I was extremely impressed by your flying. Good control, not jerky movements.
Overall, I'd shorten the video to about 3 minutes, spend some time in color correction, don't dwell on each scene so long...good job

Looks like the vast majority of it is out of focus/otherwise completely smeared with no detail.

Random thoughts as I watched it;
1. way too long
2. needed some color correction or some "pop" or increased contrast in post
3. very brave approach to that big bridge- scared me to death- I thought you were going to go under it and hit the big oncoming boat
4. Also very brave approach to the windows of the cruise ship- fears of flying into the windows- yikes!
5. for a first time, I was extremely impressed by your flying. Good control, not jerky movements.
Overall, I'd shorten the video to about 3 minutes, spend some time in color correction, don't dwell on each scene so long...good job

It is really long, gonna make it much shorter for my next videos.
I need to spend much more on color correction that is for sure.
If you think getting near the bridge and window is scary, oh you gonna freak when you see my other videos hah
Dwelling on a scene too long that is something I did not notice much but I see that now.
I appreciate your feedback

The video was in focus for me. (using iMAC Mojave OS)

Looks like the vast majority of it is out of focus/otherwise completely smeared with no detail.

To be honest I sill havent changed anything on the settings and I still dont know how to optimize the quality yet but im definitly looking into it

For what it's worth, I purchased a subscription to VIMEO for a year. I get monthly reports on viewing of all my videos. Most of my videos are 3 to 4 minutes and there are several of 14-15 minutes (major vacations). My monthly viewing report shows that almost nobody watches the clip to the end. Average viewing time is less than half of the clip. Average time watched was 3.40 minutes. Here is my most recent report. click full image to view. This teaches me to make everything shorter than I wnt. I try to keep each still image to 2 seconds, and each video clip to less than 5-10 seconds. I even speed the clip up to try to shorted the overall length of the films.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 11.21.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 11.21.22 AM.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 9
I would suggest that you reduce the sound level, I usually run my sound at about 15-20% using iMovie. Otherwise I agree with all the other comments. Great flying control!

For what it's worth, I purchased a subscription to VIMEO for a year. I get monthly reports on viewing of all my videos. Most of my videos are 3 to 4 minutes and there are several of 14-15 minutes (major vacations). My monthly viewing report shows that almost nobody watches the clip to the end. Average viewing time is less than half of the clip. Average time watched was 3.40 minutes. Here is my most recent report. click full image to view. This teaches me to make everything shorter than I wnt. I try to keep each still image to 2 seconds, and each video clip to less than 5-10 seconds. I even speed the clip up to try to shorted the overall length of the films.

That is good to know. I was hesitant about putting pictures aswell but 2 seconds sounds quite ok

I would suggest that you reduce the sound level, I usually run my sound at about 15-20% using iMovie. Otherwise I agree with all the other comments. Great flying control!

When I edited this video I dident touch the music at all so I have to check out how to edit music aswell

In editing my videos, I'd like to add that I try not to add as many transitions between images or scenes because each transition takes up at least 2 seconds of time- I use a quick cut to next scene to save time and make the video shorter.

As we all know, video editing is a full time occupation in the film industry. I should know because my daughter is a professional film editor Los Angeles and it took her a year at the American Film Institute to learn her craft. She uses a humongous machine called the AVID with all sorts of dials and sliders. So we are all mere mortals when it comes to video editing. After all, they give out film editing OSCARS for this sort of stuff. A film can be made or lost in the editors cutting room floor. So Our job should be to try to complete the task with as much expertise as we can glean from You Tube video tutorials and other teaching forums such as Creative Live (Abba Shapiro has a big class for sale there), and of course, the Adobe free tutorials. It took me several years to find a teacher for Adobe Premiere Pro and when I did, he sat by me at my computer fore 3 full days teaching me how to use the Premiere Pro program.

I would say that I'd try not to overwhelm the video with your sound track. It's better to tone down the volume rather than turn it up. I also purchased a one year membership in a royalty free movie service so I don't have to worry about You Tube or Vimeo pulling my film or threatening me with stealing music.

All in all, this soon becomes a full time hobby! It only starts with the drone and the cameras, but it ends with many hours at the editing desk!

As we all know, video editing is a full time occupation in the film industry. I should know because my daughter is a professional film editor Los Angeles and it took her a year at the American Film Institute to learn her craft. She uses a humongous machine called the AVID with all sorts of dials and sliders. So we are all mere mortals when it comes to video editing. After all, they give out film editing OSCARS for this sort of stuff. A film can be made or lost in the editors cutting room floor. So Our job should be to try to complete the task with as much expertise as we can glean from You Tube video tutorials and other teaching forums such as Creative Live (Abba Shapiro has a big class for sale there), and of course, the Adobe free tutorials. It took me several years to find a teacher for Adobe Premiere Pro and when I did, he sat by me at my computer fore 3 full days teaching me how to use the Premiere Pro program.

I would say that I'd try not to overwhelm the video with your sound track. It's better to tone down the volume rather than turn it up. I also purchased a one year membership in a royalty free movie service so I don't have to worry about You Tube or Vimeo pulling my film or threatening me with stealing music.

All in all, this soon becomes a full time hobby! It only starts with the drone and the cameras, but it ends with many hours at the editing desk!

This is something that I wanted to try and went for it and it turned out to be a really good thing even though it takes hours and hours of research and trials to make it atleast decent but I like it so much that I dont notice the hours I put in. If it goes well you never know someday it can be a fulltime "job". I dont have any expectations but im gonna work hard on it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929