DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones already a problem at the Super Bowl

Mr. Salty

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I'm crossing my fingers that we get through Sunday's Super Bowl without any major incidents, but this doesn't leave me optimistic:

A deluge of drones fly over Super Bowl stadium, despite ban

A deluge of drones fly over Super Bowl stadium, despite ban
By JEFF MARTIN

1 of 4
The sun sets behind Mercedes-Benz Stadium ahead of Sunday's NFL Super Bowl 53 football game between the Los Angeles Rams and New England Patriots in Atlanta, Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019. (AP Photo/David Goldman)

ATLANTA (AP) — The sky above the stadium that will host Sunday’s Super Bowl is being “inundated” with an alarming number of drones, raising the specter of injuries to tourists or others — or a possible collision with aircraft, the FBI said Friday.

That’s despite an ongoing restriction that bans the use of drones in the area of Mercedes-Benz Stadium downtown.

Officers on Thursday confiscated a half-dozen drones that were flown near the stadium, FBI spokesman Kevin Rowson said Friday at the agency’s Atlanta field office. The cases will be referred to federal prosecutors for possible charges; the drone pilots could face jail time and fines, Rowson said.

“If these drones go out of control — if a pilot loses control of one — they can go into a crowd and cause serious injuries,” Rowson said.

The potential for terrorism is also a concern.

“When we look up into the air and see a drone flying in the air, we have no idea if it’s friendly, or if it’s someone who has nefarious plans and it’s weaponized,” he added.

In recent days, multiple helicopters have been patrolling the air space above the stadium and surrounding area, often swooping below the tops of Atlanta’s downtown buildings as part of a massive security operation.

“A drone impact with a fixed-wing aircraft or a helicopter would be catastrophic,” FBI Special Agent John Cronier said.

Moreover, policing illegal drones is pulling officers away from other duties, Rowson said.

“It has taken up a lot of time for our agents and for law enforcement officers to be targeting these drones when they could be working on other security measures,” he said.

In December, hundreds of flights were canceled and more than 100,000 people were stranded or delayed after drones were spotted near the runway at Gatwick Airport outside London.

Last month, Southwest Airlines and United Airlines pilots encountered a drone around 3,500 feet (1,000 meters) above Teterboro, New Jersey. That resulted in dozens of delays at nearby Newark Liberty International Airport.

Last edited:
Looks like a Tfr is currently in effect for just a 1 mile radius around the stadium up to 1,000 feet Agl

On game day the radius is increased to 30nm and 18k feet.

Attachments

• 6030E093-4DBD-41BC-B359-B4FA2E54945C.png
    6030E093-4DBD-41BC-B359-B4FA2E54945C.png
    9.1 MB · Views: 167
  • AD1F0FFD-7822-4B72-A2DD-4A59ED98AAB9.png
    AD1F0FFD-7822-4B72-A2DD-4A59ED98AAB9.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 165
Reactions: Echo1
If this was an airport, we'd have the usual folks calling BS on this.

"I'm sure they're just plastic bags or balloons."

Reactions: Jackcutrone
If this was an airport, we'd have the usual folks calling BS on this.

"I'm sure they're just plastic bags or balloons."

"Officers on Thursday confiscated a half-dozen drones that were flown near the stadium, FBI spokesman Kevin Rowson said "

There's a pattern to every airport drone report.
  • Someone calls BS on it.
  • Someone posts the ID chart.
  • "They're going to ruin the hobby for everyone." (At least this person accepts the possibility this could be a true sighting.)
  • "I doubt a pilot could see a drone doing 500 knots, especially if he's multitasking with flaps, instruments and landing gear."
  • What? No video? Someone else refuses to believe because the aforementioned multitasking pilot didn't snap a photo of the drone with his iPhone.
  • "A Mavic can't even go that high." (Forgetting there are non-DJI drones out there. And early Phantom 1 and 2 drones.)
  • And my favorite: the Conspiracy Theory. The whole thing is being fabricated with the collusion of the FAA and pilots so they can restrict drones further, (despite the FAA seeming to be relaxing drone rules.)
Am I missing any?

I'm not saying the sightings are real or imagined, but the assumptions and opinions come in before any further information or evidence. It's kind of knee-jerk, really.

Whether it's airports or sports stadiums, I never underestimate the quantity and ability of idiots, including some drone operators.

Last edited:
Do they have pictures of these confiscated drones? Law enforcement loves to display the type of stuff on a table for a photo op.

Reactions: Test pilot
Do they have pictures of these confiscated drones? Law enforcement loves to display the type of stuff on a table for a photo op.
Would like to know this as well. I don't trust law enforcement without pictures or videos as evidence.

Reactions: Bobsyeruncle
Right, because the FBI couldn't possibly come up with six hobbyist drones to put on a table and take a picture of them.

Conspiracy theories are fun.
To be clear, what I am trying to establish is to have some kind of evidence that there were indeed drones flying. Evidence of what they found, aircraft, pilot, radar... Etc.

Reactions: Former Member
5-6 drones were flying near the stadium.
Were they flying illegally? Who knows...

They don't know if drones are ... weaponized?

What IF a drone flies uncontrollable, or IF an operator..., or IF... and IF...

They forgot to mention what IF some helicopter was weaponized, or IF it was out of control, or IF the pilot of police helicopter was drunk.

Regulations have to be reasonable, and have to cover REAL dangers.

The only they should do was, find the drone operators, ask for their permission to fly (if one was needed), and force down those who are illegal.

No drama, no shutdown of the stadium, and no crying about "our hobby is ruined".

But they cannot do that. Because they know nothing about technology, they make stupid regulations, and they have not the necessary equipment to enforce them.

To be clear, what I am trying to establish is to have some kind of evidence that there were indeed drones flying. Evidence of what they found, aircraft, pilot, radar... Etc.

Here is one picture of the FBI with a captured drone. It was awfully chilly for that FBI agent to be only wearing a windbreaker that day!

Evidence.jpg

I think DJI should design a drone just for people who are intent on breaking the law. They could call it the "DJI Evidence"

Reactions: tflaris and macoman
There's a pattern to every airport drone report.
  • Someone calls BS on it.
  • Someone posts the ID chart.
  • "They're going to ruin the hobby for everyone." (At least this person accepts the possibility this could be a true sighting.)
  • "I doubt a pilot could see a drone doing 500 knots, especially if he's multitasking with flaps, instruments and landing gear."
  • What? No video? Someone else refuses to believe because the aforementioned multitasking pilot didn't snap a photo of the drone with his iPhone.
  • "A Mavic can't even go that high." (Forgetting there are non-DJI drones out there. And early Phantom 1 and 2 drones.)
  • And my favorite: the Conspiracy Theory. The whole thing is being fabricated with the collusion of the FAA and pilots so they can restrict drones further, (despite the FAA seeming to be relaxing drone rules.)
Am I missing any?

I'm not saying the sightings are real or imagined, but the assumptions and opinions come in before any further information or evidence. It's kind of knee-jerk, really.

Whether it's airports or sports stadiums, I never underestimate the quantity and ability of idiots, including some drone operators.
See ya still reading a lot here and in PP eh Clip .;)

Reactions: tleedom and macoman
Here is one picture of the FBI with a captured drone. It was awfully chilly for that FBI agent to be only wearing a windbreaker that day!

View attachment 61443

I think DJI should design a drone just for people who are intent on breaking the law. They could call it the "DJI Evidence"
as apposed to enterprise like what you did there from the loving way he is looking at it it could even be his own drone

Reactions: Former Member
I am curious about how recreational fliers are informed of these restrictions. I received an email (with link: Super Bowl info - FAA), but DJI's Fly Safe does not lock out TFR areas.

With that said, is that a P4P V2.0? I'd buy it off FBI's hands if the price is right!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190202-070537.png
    Screenshot_20190202-070537.png
    859.8 KB · Views: 58
That agent also has the controller in the picture. Do they have the authority to seize someone's property like that? I'm sure they will bully you and most will comply but I'm not an expert so I'm not sure. If a drone is considered an aircraft can they just seize and hold your property?

That agent also has the controller in the picture. Do they have the authority to seize someone's property like that? I'm sure they will bully you and most will comply but I'm not an expert so I'm not sure. If a drone is considered an aircraft can they just seize and hold your property?
I assumed that if the guy flew the drone where is marked a NFZ and didn't even called to notify the fly. He is liable for flying in a prohibitive zone. But involving the FBI is just too much. He should have received only a fine.

Yes they can - from the current TFR ....

G. THE FOLLOWING OPERATIONS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED WITHIN THIS TFR: UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS (UAS), MODEL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS, MODEL ROCKETRY, FLIGHT TRAINING, PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES, AEROBATIC FLIGHT, GLIDER OPERATIONS, PARACHUTE OPERATIONS, ULTRALIGHT, HANG GLIDING, BALLOON OPERATIONS, AGRICULTURE/CROP DUSTING, ANIMAL POPULATION CONTROL FLIGHT OPERATIONS, BANNER TOWING OPERATIONS, SIGHTSEEING OPERATIONS, MAINTENANCE TEST FLIGHTS, AND UTILITY AND PIPELINE SURVEY OPERATIONS.

H. UAS OPERATORS WHO DO NOT COMPLY WITH APPLICABLE AIRSPACE RESTRICTIONS ARE WARNED THAT PURSUANT TO 18 U.S.C. SECTION 3056A, 10 U.S.C. SECTION 130I, AND 6 U.S.C. SECTION 121 (AS AMENDED), THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY (DHS), THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE (DOD), AND THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE (DOJ) MAY TAKE SECURITY ACTION THAT RESULTS IN THE INTERFERENCE, DISRUPTION, SEIZURE, DAMAGING, OR DESTRUCTION OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT DEEMED TO POSE A CREDIBLE SAFETY OR SECURITY THREAT TO PROTECTED PERSONNEL, FACILITIES, OR ASSETS.

Just a general comment in defense of drones. The down wash from a helicopter (assuming the helicopter is above the drone) would destroy the drone and flip it over and send it earth bound. No fixed wing aircraft are allowed under 500 feet over anything (crowds, boats, parks, etc.) and most of the time this is 1000 feet. and don't trust CNN for anything they report in the new.

Reactions: gwbullis
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun