DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones & limits.

JFangs

Reactions
Hey guys, Drone noob here. Ever since I got my drone last year, it seems that there is less & less area available to actually fly. I got a Mavic Pro 2 Zoom last year. Ended up not taking to Mexico twice (Mexico City & Cabo) bc their law says no foreigners can fly without permission, although I certainly saw tourists with drones in Cabo. Had fun using it Tahiti last week, although the weather wasn't working out in my favor & my range was limited due to an airport nearby. I have a trip coming up next month in Ecuador & it seems drones are illegal in Galapagos Islands. I also planned on visiting the Grand Canyon & Antelope canyon this summer & they seem to forbid drone use. The more I travel, the more it seems there are many restrictions on dones internationally. In your opinion, in the future are there any benefits to drones instead of getting NFZ warnings, high winds warnings or simply being grounded?

Some places - like national parks, designated nature reserves, world heritage sites (both natural and cultural) - should be no-drone zones and I honestly don't empathize with people who want to fly in these. If you have the good fortune to be in the midst of these, soak the experience in and live the moment rather than trying to capture an image of it. But I don't get why some countries make it illegal for some people to fly drones based on citizenship - the fact of you being a local or a foreign national should have no bearing on whether you can fly a drone.

If you do something illegal flying your drone and you are a citizen of that country, they may be able to find you and fine you. Hard to do if you fly and leave the country.

Reactions: JFangs
Some places - like national parks, designated nature reserves, world heritage sites (both natural and cultural) - should be no-drone zones and I honestly don't empathize with people who want to fly in these. If you have the good fortune to be in the midst of these, soak the experience in and live the moment rather than trying to capture an image of it. But I don't get why some countries make it illegal for some people to fly drones based on citizenship - the fact of you being a local or a foreign national should have no bearing on whether you can fly a drone.

I totally agree with the need to respect nature, specially something unique & fragile as Galapagos. My intention wasn't to intrude on wild life, more so capture the scenic beaches, sunrise/sunsets etc from a reasonable distance.

I suppose I just get a bit frustrated sometimes because I can't use my toy lol Last year I had to leave it home because you need to apply for permission ahead of time for Rome & that trip was the reason I purchased the Zoom. I chalk that to not knowing the rules & regulations ahead of time bc it didn't concern me.

Hey guys, Drone noob here. Ever since I got my drone last year, it seems that there is less & less area available to actually fly. I got a Mavic Pro 2 Zoom last year. Ended up not taking to Mexico twice (Mexico City & Cabo) bc their law says no foreigners can fly without permission, although I certainly saw tourists with drones in Cabo. Had fun using it Tahiti last week, although the weather wasn't working out in my favor & my range was limited due to an airport nearby. I have a trip coming up next month in Ecuador & it seems drones are illegal in Galapagos Islands. I also planned on visiting the Grand Canyon & Antelope canyon this summer & they seem to forbid drone use. The more I travel, the more it seems there are many restrictions on dones internationally. In your opinion, in the future are there any benefits to drones instead of getting NFZ warnings, high winds warnings or simply being grounded?
Maybe try other locations for flying. Mogollon Rim can be spectacular (300 mile long almost there cliff 200-2500' high)...Areas around Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, or Tucson. 88% of Arizona is National Forest or State Land. A lot of Reservation involved in that. Many interesting places to fly. Antelope canyon tour (feels like you're in a cave) is spectacular, but very physical... probably not a good flying place anyway. Superstition Mountains are Awesome. If you run across a place uo're considering message me if I can help or answer questions.

Reactions: JFangs
The question we, as dronepilots, should ask ourself is, what we do to contribute to further restrictions. Or to avoid them.

If we show respect to other people, animals and nature (in general) by not flying everywhere and always, simply because we can, we would promote a more responsible way to excerise our hobby. Just a quick example:
A week ago, I was filming and flying outside a small town named Niederzwönitz in the east of Germany. A quiet road, the car parked at a small parkingspot and the main camera set up by the side of the road. As I tried to fly through a road with trees at both sides, I noticed a car coming up. So i pulled up the dron to let them pass safe. But the car stopped. "Is it allowed to pass?" the driver asked. I explained that it was me interfering with traffic, so I was the one that had to make way. They were surprised and we came to talk. I showed them sometings, gave contact data and then they continued as I picked up my flight again. These people will not urge any politician to put restrictions in place because they were hindered by a drone(pilot) flying somewhere to get the pefect shot.

I do regret but accept the fact, that within the city of Bremen, I am not allowed to fly my drone without a specific permit. (only in and above my own garden I can do it) Violating this rules would not only cause me problems, but on long term, it would cause strickter regalations not only for the city, but also for other places. So I take my reponsibility and stay within the limits that are set. And I try to convince other pilots to do the same, just to benefit all of the droneers.

Well said Olav! In addition to respecting laws (whether one agrees with them or not) a little sensibility and people's right to privacy and/or serenity (depending on context) can go a long way in influencing the attitude of people towards drones and drone flyers. If I am flying or filming anywhere closer to people, I always ask first if they are ok with it. I have rarely encountered a negative response, people generally are kind and polite if you approach them politely; but I have also had a few instances where I was told "please don't record me".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots