DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones used measuring weight of whales

MAvic_South_Oz

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Interesting concept.
I wonder if they use one of the mapping software packages, or just scale off photos / video and use some other software.

Scaled from photos taken at a known altitude, very simple to do.

Likely bliksem, thnkas for your input . . . the whales seem very calm, drones obviously aren't too much of a bother to them.
We have a 300m exclusion zone here in Australian waters, developed for planes and helis, but drones fall under that rule too.
Tourist boats also have rules, but very often whales will approach and come right near motor boats, kayaks etc, very curious creatures.

I believe USA regs are 100m from whales, but not 100% sure. Researches are allowed to get closer, I believe 30m. I doubt a whale would even hear a drone at 30m.
Check out the whale photos by Stacy Garlington aka DroneDiva. She is involved in whale research so she does have an unfair advantage.

Check out the whale photos by Stacy Garlington aka DroneDiva. She is involved in whale research so she does have an unfair advantage.

She's very talented, yes would be great to get closer like that and not cause any problems, beautiful photos . . .

ea1a3226-352f-453f-bf2e-c009d2c3a999.jpg@!1920

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme