DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones Will Be 'Huge Game Changer

I was just thinking this same thing this morning. I have 4 years till I can retire with years of service so I have been looking my next job (since I will still have to work till I am 66). We had an apartment fire just down the street from the house and I put my bird up (at a very safe distance) to run some video. I knew all the guys on the fire departments and the Fire Marshalls (as I use to work with them in a volunteer capacity) so they asked me to fly some specific spots for them and take some pictures.

They have their own P3P but only 1 certified pilot and he was on another scene and couldn't get there for an hour. The light bulb went off right then and I finally figured out what I want to do when I grow up! Be a remote pilot! LOL Oh wait, I am already a remote pilot. OK be a remote pilot and get PAID! I found out from my son the other day that the county owns 2 Inspires but they only have one pilot and he has never flown any kind of drone before. So there is definitely a need out there, we just have to look for those needs.

The main story in the USA Today yesterday was "Inmates Use Drones to Smuggle Drugs", so there is always that. You could become a drug smuggler for prisoners. Better to fly them in then carry them in up your a$$. Seriously though it doesn't matter what the technology is criminals always find a way to use it for no good. Next thing you know there will be 5 mile NFZs around prisons and jails. Then some perv will get busted talking pictures of kids on a playground or at a school, little girls on the beach and Johnny Law will have to step in and regulate and restrict those areas. My worst fear is this and I predict it will be available to the general public in the next 5-7 years.....drone disruption devices. A device that will allow the user to either bring down or severely disrupt the operation of a drone in their area. This will be marketed to allow the buyer to maintain their privacy due to fears over the growing number and use of drones to spy on thy neighbor. So let's all keep our drone use on at least the semi-legal side. If nothing else if your neighbor looks that good....share with us please!

Reactions: YorkshirePaul
I was just thinking this same thing this morning. I have 4 years till I can retire with years of service so I have been looking my next job (since I will still have to work till I am 66). We had an apartment fire just down the street from the house and I put my bird up (at a very safe distance) to run some video. I knew all the guys on the fire departments and the Fire Marshalls (as I use to work with them in a volunteer capacity) so they asked me to fly some specific spots for them and take some pictures.

They have their own P3P but only 1 certified pilot and he was on another scene and couldn't get there for an hour. The light bulb went off right then and I finally figured out what I want to do when I grow up! Be a remote pilot! LOL Oh wait, I am already a remote pilot. OK be a remote pilot and get PAID! I found out from my son the other day that the county owns 2 Inspires but they only have one pilot and he has never flown any kind of drone before. So there is definitely a need out there, we just have to look for those needs.

There are opportunities out there for you if you get your FAA Part 107 license, real estate, cinematography are just 2 of them, although with drone prices now becoming so affordable and drone technology growing so fast I think most people will just buy their own unless it was a one-time use situation. Most real estate businesses will probably just buy their own drone to shoot their properties. Why pay someone $100 to video your listing when you can own your own drone capable of doing the job for under $1000? Professional photography would also require the necessary skills to capture the shot, but from the videos I've seen and shot myself we are all quickly becoming pretty **** good ourselves. Take and pass Part 107 is your first step in what could be a nice retirement gig. Good luck to you. If you don't pass the Part 107 test there is always that drug smuggling job I previously posted about.

In 4 years there will be so many people doing that it will be worthless. Other side of the problem.
But see here is where skill level will make a difference. Sure you have 1000 new pilots but how many have the skill needed to get smooth video? How many can fly into tight places and not panic? How many can do professional editing? How many have the initiative to get out and hustle for work? It is going to be the same with any other profession where technology exploded and people were trying to get into the market. That is when you have to market your real skill level. I mean seriously I can hire just about any private pilot to fly me in and out of my regional airport but how many can I hire to fly me into the Alaskan bush? Or how about into Tenzing-Hillary airport in Nepal! Not saying that I am the best, because in present company I am probably just average, but the skill level of every remote pilot is not the same. Some are better than others.

How many fires in your town do you think it will take to earn a living?
But see your focusing on just fires and I am not talking about making a living. I would be retired already and earning a pension so I just want some extra money. I never said anything about making a living.

Sure, but most customers still take the cheapest guy who will fly for below cost becasue they don't know/care so you don't even get a chance to show how much better you are.
Those who are serious enough to know and care already have their own machine/staff/department.

Reactions: dancedance
There are opportunities out there for you if you get your FAA Part 107 license, real estate, cinematography are just 2 of them, although with drone prices now becoming so affordable and drone technology growing so fast I think most people will just buy their own unless it was a one-time use situation. Most real estate businesses will probably just buy their own drone to shoot their properties. Why pay someone $100 to video your listing when you can own your own drone capable of doing the job for under $1000? Professional photography would also require the necessary skills to capture the shot, but from the videos I've seen and shot myself we are all quickly becoming pretty **** good ourselves. Take and pass Part 107 is your first step in what could be a nice retirement gig. Good luck to you. If you don't pass the Part 107 test there is always that drug smuggling job I previously posted about.
I took the FAA written exam when I was 15 and passed, I just never got my pilot's license because flying lessons got too expensive for my parents and by the time I was out on my own, Life hit me like a ton of bricks and I gave up on the idea. As soon as I got my Mavic I started on the path to the 107 test and after taking a few dozen practice tests I am pretty confident I could pass. I just need to schedule it and fork out the dough. Not in any real rush though because right now I don't have the time for a part time job doing anything. Maybe another year from now I will though.

Most real estate businesses will probably just buy their own drone to shoot their properties. Why pay someone $100 to video your listing when you can own your own drone capable of doing the job for under $1000? Professional photography would also require the necessary skills to capture the shot, but from the videos I've seen and shot myself we are all quickly becoming pretty **** good ourselves.
Yes the opportunities are out there, (or soon will be) for certified part 107 pilots. I passed the test last fall and have been doing professional shooting since.

But don't kid yourself as to the ease of becoming a great cinematographer/videographer for professional markets. I have been a professional landscape photographer for over three decades and still struggle to produce a professional level presentation. And as time goes on the best will rise to the top, and get the jobs.

Sure, just about anyone can get acceptable shots and clips but putting them all together in a presentable package and competing with the seasoned pros is not as easy as it might seem. As for right now the market will tolerate a lower standard because the bar is just getting established.

Don't get me wrong, I don't discourage anyone from perfecting their skills and becoming better at this. But at least for now, there is no substitute for hours, weeks, and years of practice, and honing your technical and artistic skills. In fact that is the only way you will get better, and the Mavic is a great entry level tool for doing just that.

Just being realistic that it isn't as easy as it seems.

And trust me, some of the fun goes away when it becomes your day to day... Not that I'm complaining.

In Five years will we even be flying our drones or just telling them what to do?

Rob

Reactions: hookalakupua
In Five years will we even be flying our drones or just telling them what to do?

Rob

With apps like DJI GS Pro we already can just tell them what to do. In 5 years or less we may literally be able to just tell them what to do. With DJI Ground Station Pro you can completely automate a flight from take off to landing. You could set up a complex flight pattern and launch the drone and have it film and come back and land when it's done. Pretty cool stuff, it's getting to be an exciting hobby, who knows what the future holds, good or bad.
Relax and enjoy your flight.

Reactions: Robbyg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut