DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drove almost 3 hours round trip for this short piece of steam locomotive footage. And it was well worth it.

Lapeer20m

Reactions

had lots of complaints about too many cuts in the first video....here is a slight different version:

It was one of the more technically difficult flights. train was almost 20 or 30 minutes late, and I started filming at least 1/2 mile from where i was standing, which made it difficult to have sufficient battery at exactly the right moment it was needed.
I was more excited about this footage than probably anything else I’ve captured the past 3 years.

Last edited:
Nice. Looks like he knew you were there.

Reactions: Lapeer20m
Loved it! Glad you took the time to drive there.

Reactions: Chip
I think you are this years winner for steam. Excellent

Just clicked on it and this is what I got

Video unavailable
This video is private.

It was one of the more technically difficult flights. train was almost 20 or 30 minutes late, and I started filming at least 1/2 mile from where i was standing, which made it difficult to have sufficient battery at exactly the right moment it was needed.
I was more excited about this footage than probably anything else I’ve captured the past 3 years.
Im unable to watch, saying it is set to private?
Guessing this is of the 4014? Railroad photography is the primary reason I bought a drone and would love to see your stuff!

Most good Vid.

Will you look at this classic . . . !!! Full steam ahead!

Cool footage! Glad you made the drive to capture. Thanks for posting.
Blue skies from SoCal

Im unable to watch, saying it is set to private?
Guessing this is of the 4014? Railroad photography is the primary reason I bought a drone and would love to see your stuff!
Big Boy 4014 is much bigger than that. Also, 4014 was converted to burning fuel oil so it really runs a pretty clean stack. He was coming through our town this past summer so I caught this video on my GoPro.

Reactions: bumper
That's awesome footage. Good piloting too!

it’s difficult to explain the challenges with this flight. Mostly due to endurance as mavic had to loiter quite a while waiting for this girl to round the corner.

You can hear the train easily 10 minutes before it arrives. I up launching too early.

the train was late, so I did a few practice runs. It Was too jerky in sport mode, and i was concerned it would be too slow in p mode. I turned obstacle avoidance off to gain a few more mph, and flew in cinematic mode.

I was more stoked about this footage than almost any other Ive ever shot. (My fav was after I got arrested (unlawfully) for flying a drone. after recovering my confiscated items i was excited to see that the entire interaction was filmed with mavic, including audio cached on the iPad)

Very nice I just started filming trains and now you answer how to get the sound. Thank again for the share

a magician never reveals his secrets!

I will tell you that I recently purchased an instamic, but I like to record sounds for my drone videos from multiple sources when i can.

I use one or more of the following audio capturing devices, depending on situation:

gopro, old iPhone, new iPhone, Apple Watch, and almost always “record audio with cache” onto my iPad through go4. This is definitely my most utilized audio source. I take the audio from one or more of these devices and overlay it onto the video track, sometimes i have 3-5 audio tracks overlaid on top of each other. Often, syncing perfectly is not that important. I can’t really tell if locomotive audio is off by a half-second.

Exactly when does that bell on the front of 1225 ring?

Reactions: razoraerial
Thanks for tips. I just like the added true sounds. I feel the experience is better then just some sound track.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters