DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dumb Question Poll

Cosmo0g

Quirky Bird
Premium Pilot
Reactions
You have to be careful buying used drones these days, especially with the newer ones because if it's linked to the previous owners account, there's no way to unlink it or the remote controller. So, if the controller goes out, you have a paperweight.

So, to save money, would you buy a used drone if you knew it was locked to another account? And, would you expect a big box store to sell one in that condition as open box?

You have to be careful buying used drones these days, especially with the newer ones because if it's linked to the previous owners account, there's no way to unlink it or the remote controller. So, if the controller goes out, you have a paperweight.

So, to save money, would you buy a used drone if you knew it was locked to another account? And, would you expect a big box store to sell one in that condition as open box?
I'm sure that DJI could fix an issue like this. I sold my old Mini 1 to someone and had no complaints, assuming he had no issues. As far as newer drones, it might be different, but I don't see it as a permanent issue and probably not any more annoying than trying to get your drone un-bricked in a geofenced zone.

Reactions: TheRock and Cosmo0g
It's quite simple to "unlink" a drone from an account - the seller has to do that (bit like selling a mobile phone).

Not sure where you are but in the UK I can just get in touch with "[email protected]" and they will tell me whether a drone is already linked to an account.

When I sold my SE I removed it from my account and then checked with DJI and they confirmed that it was not linked and that the new owner would have no problems.

I'm sure that DJI could fix an issue like this. I sold my old Mini 1 to someone and had no complaints, assuming he had no issues. As far as newer drones, it might be different, but I don't see it as a permanent issue and probably not any more annoying than trying to get your drone un-bricked in a geofenced zone.
When they started the fly away protection, they added an anti theft feature. You can no longer factory reset the drone. I know this is the case for the Air 2S and the Mavic 3, and maybe the Mini 2. It's a permanent issue.

It's quite simple to "unlink" a drone from an account - the seller has to do that (bit like selling a mobile phone).

Not sure where you are but in the UK I can just get in touch with "[email protected]" and they will tell me whether a drone is already linked to an account.

When I sold my SE I removed it from my account and then checked with DJI and they confirmed that it was not linked and that the new owner would have no problems.
You're right. It should be simple, but unfortunately some people don't think to do that. I have 2 right now that I bought open box (one was even quoted as unused) from a big company, and both are locked to the previous owner. They both fly, but if the controller goes out, there's no way to link it to another one. So, my point is buyer beware when buying the newer used drones.

Reactions: AVLJMA
When they started the fly away protection, they added an anti theft feature. You can no longer factory reset the drone. I know this is the case for the Air 2S and the Mavic 3, and maybe the Mini 2. It's a permanent issue.
One has to believe that DJI has the power to fix that, but may require some written proof of transfer of ownership.

So let's say the bound controller has a possible dead battery. Would you be able to send it to DJI to fix? If it turns out to be more than a battery issue and unfixable then what? This is off course beforehand letting them know that it is permanently bound and locked to another account that you cannot access.

So let's say the bound controller has a possible dead battery. Would you be able to send it to DJI to fix? If it turns out to be more than a battery issue and unfixable then what? This is off course beforehand letting them know that it is permanently bound and locked to another account that you cannot access.
I sent an email to DJI a few days ago attaching my store receipts and asking them for help. I haven't heard back, but will post their answer. But, as of now, in your scenario, you would have a paperweight as the drone can't be connected to another controller. I know this because I'm trying to bind a RC Pro to a Mavic 3 that is already bound to someone else's account, and it's not happening.

I sent an email to DJI a few days ago attaching my store receipts and asking them for help. I haven't heard back, but will post their answer. But, as of now, in your scenario, you would have a paperweight as the drone can't be connected to another controller. I know this because I'm trying to bind a RC Pro to a Mavic 3 that is already bound to someone else's account, and it's not happening.
Yes, please update with DJI's response.

You're right. It should be simple, but unfortunately some people don't think to do that. I have 2 right now that I bought open box (one was even quoted as unused) from a big company, and both are locked to the previous owner. They both fly, but if the controller goes out, there's no way to link it to another one. So, my point is buyer beware when buying the newer used drones.
As I said, it's like buying a used smartphone.
Ask the seller if the drone is linked to his account. HE can go into his account un remove it. DJI can confirm that it has been removed as it's all "on line" with them.

Ask the seller if the drone is linked to his account. HE can go into his account un remove it. DJI can confirm that it has been removed as it's all "on line" with them.
Can this be done if the drone is no longer in his possession? Let's say he sold it 5 states away before unbinding it. Can the unbinding be done online without the drone and controller?

Can this be done if the drone is no longer in his possession? Let's say he sold it 5 states away before unbinding it. Can the unbinding be done online without the drone and controller?
I don't know. I was able to track down the account it was bound to. It's a drone repair shop, and he flat refused to try.

Dji chat was no real help. They don't know the difference between binding a controller and binding an account.
If I have an earlier firmware 02.04.2040
can I factory reset the drone so I can use my account? It currently still has valid refresh on it. If I am successful and able to bind it to my account would the refresh still be valid? Supposedly it tied to the serial # of the drone and not the account.

You simply link a new controller to the old drone. There are a ton of videos on YT to show you how. I've done it numerous times for various reasons, even to drones I don't own. It's very simple to do. But it is drone specific.
It doesn't matter if it links to another account. Even if you have Refresh. While I've never bought a used drone, I have sold quite a few. Even with Refresh.

A guy I recently sold one of my drones to that had refresh crashed it. DJI replaced it under Refresh, no problem.

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but that isn't an issue.

HERE IS THE ANSWER DIRECT FRO DJI... [ @Cosmo0g ]

"Regarding your inquiry, if you want to sell your drone with the remote controller or give it to a relative who would want to fly under his/her own account, you can unbind your DJI Account in the DJI Fly APP. And then, the next owner or the relative can bind his/her own DJI Account after connecting with the drone and remote controller. "

If you want to buy a used drone you must make sure the seller "unbinds" the drone from his account. If you sell your drone you must do the same. It seems like DJI did a good thing as it would prevent theft as whoever steals a drone that is bound to an account would be stealing a brick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmo0g
I purchased both of my M1P's used. One on Ebay and one from a local pawn shop. When I open my DJI GO4 app and click on flight records it has 3 users listed, me and the user names for the previous owners. If i look at the individual flight info under the other names (total distance, total flights, flying time etc) and then look at the same info under my name, mine is the total of the other 2. All the flight info is mine as i just checked the dates. I just wish i knew how to change the names on the other two accounts to Orange Julious and Lime Ricky

Reactions: Cosmo0g
I purchased both of my M1P's used. One on Ebay and one from a local pawn shop. When I open my DJI GO4 app and click on flight records it has 3 users listed, me and the user names for the previous owners. If i look at the individual flight info under the other names (total distance, total flights, flying time etc) and then look at the same info under my name, mine is the total of the other 2. All the flight info is mine as i just checked the dates. I just wish i knew how to change the names on the other two accounts to Orange Julious and Lime Ricky
On the M1P, you can connect it to your computer, open DJI Asst 2. and factory reset the drone. I think that would do it. On the Mavic 3, Air 2S, and I think the Mini 2 that is no longer an option.

But, only HE can do it. And, the HE in my case refused to try.

You simply link a new controller to the old drone. There are a ton of videos on YT to show you how. I've done it numerous times for various reasons, even to drones I don't own. It's very simple to do. But it is drone specific.

It doesn't matter if it links to another account. Even if you have Refresh. While I've never bought a used drone, I have sold quite a few. Even with Refresh.

A guy I recently sold one of my drones to that had refresh crashed it. DJI replaced it under Refresh, no problem.

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but that isn't an issue.
I tried to connect a RC Pro to my Mavic 3. It did let me connect, but gave me a warning window that I could only fly 7 times with that remote, and that I must unbind the regular controller for it to keep working past the 7 flights. When I try to do this, it says the regular controller is locked to the previous account, so it won't let me proceed.

I tried to connect a RC Pro to my Mavic 3. It did let me connect, but gave me a warning window that I could only fly 7 times with that remote, and that I must unbind the regular controller for it to keep working past the 7 flights. When I try to do this, it says the regular controller is locked to the previous account, so it won't let me proceed.
Who are you dealing with at DJI?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54