DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dust and dirt takeoff and landing

Rabber

Reactions
I have been flying my Mav 2 in the desert. Dust and dirt is collecting in the arm joints as well as the gimble. Recommended way to clean?

I have been flying my Mav 2 in the desert. Dust and dirt is collecting in the arm joints as well as the gimble. Recommended way to clean?
We just use a damp wash cloth , and you might consider getting a Mavic 2 Wet Suit to keep all the Sand / stones and dirt out of the drone , because even with the cleaning your only getting the surface dust .

Landing pads can work on take off but not so much the landings, the Wet Suits are designed to handle Sand / Salt / stones and Pollen and dirt from not only getting into the drone but the prop motors. They only weigh 0.2 ounces but offer a ton of benefits.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 in the Rain.

Last edited:
I never bothered with a landing pad with my Phantom ....the props are pretty high on that...with the Mini 2 if you land in tall grass, the prop acts like a weed wacker...I'm saving up for one of those round pads with an H on it ...in the meantime I just use a piece of an old welcome mat

@Rabber i use a Air puffer ,canned Air is ok as well, if you get Bug Splatter then a wet wipe followed by kitchen towel is a good way to remove it, dont allow the dust and debris to build up in the motors even more so in the gimbal ones as you will get error messages if the gimbal motors cant move freely ,just make cleaning part of your after flight routine and if its dusty either hand launch /land if you are able ,or as others have suggested get a landing /take off pad

I agree with the landing pad, where I fly it is all sand and the pad keeps the props from stirring the sand up , I bought one of these
Works good and with the weighted outer ring it does not need stakes to keep it in place.

Reactions: tlswift58
Whenever possible I try to take off from my "H" orange folding and collapsible landing pad. I especially use it for grass, weeds, sand, or any other surface liable to to interfere with the blades. On irregular landing surfaces such as a rocky shoreline, I try to level the landing pad with objects like my unused battery or nearby stones. For landing, I try to hand catch it when the landing surface is dangerously impossible. See example in attached photo where it was impossible to find a level surface for a take off. On surfaces like these, I am forced to hand launch and land. BassHarbor.-Head-Light.jpg

I never bothered with a landing pad with my Phantom ....the props are pretty high on that...with the Mini 2 if you land in tall grass, the prop acts like a weed wacker...I'm saving up for one of those round pads with an H on it ...in the meantime I just use a piece of an old welcome mat
The round “H” pads are excellent as they curl up into a smaller size and fit in a pouch that can be placed in a backpack. If needing wider ground cover consider also adding a folded heavier weight painter’s plastic drop sheet. The props can blow dust up off quite a large area. Also, pro camera shops sell lens brushes with soft air bellows that can help to remove dust off delicate parts of the drone.

I always use a landing pad in these conditions.

Reactions: Grazuncle

This is the one I use.
How is it on a windy day?

I agree with the landing pad, where I fly it is all sand and the pad keeps the props from stirring the sand up , I bought one of these
Works good and with the weighted outer ring it does not need stakes to keep it in place.
I got a landing pad with my FlyMore package from B&H. Think it is still in the wrapper.

The landing pads are really cheap on Ebay, $12.95. I also live in the desert, and yes they do blow a lot of sand and dirt. This pad works great on all my DJI drones. With my GoPro Karma, I use a large piece of cardboard.

Whenever possible I try to take off from my "H" orange folding and collapsible landing pad. I especially use it for grass, weeds, sand, or any other surface liable to to interfere with the blades. On irregular landing surfaces such as a rocky shoreline, I try to level the landing pad with objects like my unused battery or nearby stones. For landing, I try to hand catch it when the landing surface is dangerously impossible. See example in attached photo where it was impossible to find a level surface for a take off. On surfaces like these, I am forced to hand launch and land. View attachment 129614
I think you just wanted to show off the picture you got...That is beautiful...where is that?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S