DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dutch police to stop hunting drones with eagles

LOL, seriously?

“Now the police say they’ve stopped using the birds because training them is more expensive and complicated than they anticipated...”

How did anyone think this was a good idea?

Dutch police will stop using drone-hunting eagles since they weren't doing what they're told

One of my closest friends, who is a retired professional falconer, was furious when he found out that the police was testing eagles to catch drones. He has started a lobby against it at various levels. As he was the personal falconer and friend of the queen and royal family, I am not surprised he probably succeeded. The police was well informed about the cost and risks involved. They even bought chicks and started to raise and train them. Pretty sure the reason for giving up has to do with the political lobby against it.

Good news.

No kidding? Wow. Yeah - I can't imagine this would be good for the birds, so that uproar and protest is not surprising.

besides would just have turned into the new arm's race.
they use eagles, we install razor sharp props for aerodynamics...
they fit the eagles with armour, we cover drone in nails
they...

kidding btw.
but yes always hit me as a bit lacking in elegance and a tad improper to use birds like this.

Would be interesting from a legal standpoint, lets say eagle grabs your drone badly and WHAM, injured/killed eagle. who would be help responsible?
would they try to make it not unlike in U.K if you assault a police horse or dog. :)

Perhaps, the drone fell on police chief's head during demo? :D Seriously, uncontrolled takedown of a drone can easily lead to some serious accident on the ground, like hitting a toddler, or falling on windshield and disorienting the driver, etc. etc.

With the electronic gadgetry now for anti drone work, there is no need for such methods, glad they came to that realisation before a serious decline in Eagle numbers.
They just lower a drone down to the ground slowly, right below where it was flying.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU