DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dynamic Home Point question?

TampaGuy75

Reactions
Hello all, first time poster, but long time reader. Just got my new Mavic in the mail yesterday, charged it all up.. applied all the updates.. and all is good. Love it, and so glad I found this forum!!!!

My question has to do with the "enable dynamic home point" option. I get what it does, but why would I ever use that rather then selecting the home point setting of the MP descending down to the controller if I was in a situation where I am no longer in the spot where it took off from? Regardless if I am in active mode, or whatever mode where I am moving, wouldn't I just select the little guy icon under home point settings? I am confused what the difference is between the 2.

Also a sort of unrelated question, but still regarding home points - in my flying situations, I will always usually want my aircraft to return from where it took off from, so prior to my flights - will I always have to select that icon? Or does it return to where it took off from by default?

Thanks guys (and gals). I am so happy I found this forum.

PS - Anyone from around the Tampa FL area? I can always use a flying buddy.

DHP is set only during Active tracking, this is a good idea if say you are in a boat or canoe and are moving away from the original homepoint, the HP is updated every few metres to your location automatically so that if RTH is initaited for whatever reason the quad will land where you are.

I must stress that it needs a phone or tablet with GPS (and a good one at that) to work as it uses this to determine the location of yourself.

The 2 modes in the app are

set to aircraft location, so the HP becomes the HP of the aircraft
set to my location, the HP becomes where you are.

These 2 modes have to be done manually and are for circumstances where you may want to adjust the HP of the craft manually.

DHP is set only during Active tracking, this is a good idea if say you are in a boat or canoe and are moving away from the original homepoint, the HP is updated every few metres to your location automatically so that if RTH is initaited for whatever reason the quad will land where you are.

I guess where that's where I'm confused. If I know I am going to be on a boat or canoe using Active tracking, wouldn't I just want the Mavic to return the controller? What benefit is DHP over just returning to the controller via the RTH setting?

I guess where that's where I'm confused. If I know I am going to be on a boat or canoe using Active tracking, wouldn't I just want the Mavic to return the controller? What benefit is DHP over just returning to the controller via the RTH setting?
The answer to both your questions would be that it depends on your situation.
  • If you take off and record homepoint from an anchored boat then a normal RTH is fine.
  • If you take off and record home point from 1 location then move to another and use the RTH remains with the original take off location, thus the need for "set to my location, the HP becomes where you are."

Incorrect,
DHP uses the AC gps position at the time to log a HP. So long as its more than 15 mtrs from the last recorded HP.
RTH will be to that LAST RECORDED position.
Should your connected device have gps, then you can set the hp to YOU, and providing all conditions have been met, RTH will be to you....

I guess I am still confused lol.

Ok I am on a boat. I set my RTH via my home point settings to my controller because I'll be say a mile from my original location. I want it to return to where my controller is because that's where I am, and it returns to my in my new location. Done.

But why would I ever need to use DHP vs return to controller?? Seems they both are the same thing. Aren't they both just returning to the new location? Am I missing something?

Reactions: AbUAVdC

Just to be clear the HP is the point the quad will return to in case of an intiated RTH, such as low battery or whatever

Imagine the situation, your in a canoe, your hands are full and you cant get to the remote, you would need to manually keep setting the HP to your current location by going into the app and pressing the relevant section of the app, which you cant

Using DHP within active tracking means the HP is automatically updated every 15 m, so no need to use the app

Reactions: Simmo
And finally to clarify, DHP is only enabled in Active track mode, and is not something that will occur at any other time.

Unlike the old DJI vision app for the P2v quad which had DHP you could turn on and off as you wished

I think I am starting to understand. So basically, if you are in active track, its a good idea to use DHP if I am a good distance from my starting point. Correct?

Also, its my understanding that the controller itself doesn't have GPS, correct? So prior to the update of the addition of DHP, if one was to select return to controller, how does the Mavic know where the controller is?

I think I am starting to understand. So basically, if you are in active track, its a good idea to use DHP if I am a good distance from my starting point. Correct?

DHP will automatically kick in if you are in AT mode, I think you can turn it off but not sure, but other wise its a good idea as it keeps the HP updated to your location as you move around. great for canoes, mountain biking etc etc

Also, its my understanding that the controller itself doesn't have GPS, correct? So prior to the update of the addition of DHP, if one was to select return to controller, how does the Mavic know where the controller is?

it will give an error message and wont let you do it, hence my post about needing a good GPS on the phone/tablet

I suggest that you "play around" with each within an open area to gain a better understanding on how these setting behave.

I suggest that you "play around" with each within an open area to gain a better understanding on how these setting behave.

Isnt it better to have an understanding before playing around with them ?

Thank you all for your comments. I think I finally understand it. I'm not new to the Drone world, I've owned Drones since the original Phantom, but I was just a bit confused with the DHP setting in the update. Was a bit of a brain fart I guess :)

Would much rather have an understanding, as Exphantomflyer said, then to "play around" with a $1,200 toy and rish losing or crashing it :)

Thank you again to everyone :)

Isnt it better to have an understanding before playing around with them ?
Perhaps the term "playing around" was appropriate, but the OP did state that he has been reading for a long time and knows about the existence of the DHP feature. So why not see how it behaves within a controlled environment?

Thank you all for your comments. I think I finally understand it. I'm not new to the Drone world, I've owned Drones since the original Phantom, but I was just a bit confused with the DHP setting in the update. Was a bit of a brain fart I guess :)

Would much rather have an understanding, as Exphantomflyer said, then to "play around" with a $1,200 toy and rish losing or crashing it :)

Thank you again to everyone :)
Here's a decent video:

Reactions: TampaGuy75
This feature is NOT included in M2P.
You need to press the home point button with the person in it, it does not update automatically Correct?

This feature is NOT included in M2P.
You need to press the home point button with the person in it, it does not update automatically Correct?

i was wondering the same.. i had it on my MP1 ... and on my MP2 no way to do it ... why? did they not include that option?

i was wondering the same.. i had it on my MP1 ... and on my MP2 no way to do it ... why? did they not include that option?
The M2P does not update your location in active track mode, it is designed that way.

The question is why do some people get a “weak GPS” message when you press the home point button with the person in it. I gave the DJI Go app location permission and it still does not work. Perhaps other settings?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato