DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dynamic Home Point Setting Doesn't Work

scjerry

Reactions
IMG_0002.PNG IMG_0003.PNG After setting RTH point to my controller, quad goes off to parts unknown upon initiation of the RTH command from my DJI Go 4 app. My suspicion is that somehow the home point was a GPS location set in the previous day's flight. As you can see, I attempted this twice (the two long rectangular trajectories were both in the same direction) and I aborted RTH by hitting the red button on the RC. Am I doing something wrong? A newbie, so something stupid?

Using iPad mini 4 wifi+cell w/o SIM card. Works great with Google Maps in real time, plotting a position every few seconds (even in my boat) , so I assume it has a built in GPS receiver that doesn't need cell tower triangulation augmentation. I wonder if the map app that DJI Go uses has a problem, probably not (Schm)oogle Maps.

When you set the home point to the controller position, did you read the notice that appears asking you to check the distance from the home point that is set when you start the drone? If you've not moved then this should be only a couple of feet. If it's more your device hasn't got a gps fix and it's using whatever it has stored.

According to a replay of my flight (see screen shots), I didn't get such a message. I attempted to reset HP well removed from my launch point.

I'm going to repeat my flight today. I think the DJI Go 4 app started up from where it left off the previous day's flight. I've had to totally shut down my iPad, then reinitiate DJI Go to clear the slate and clear all remnant artifacts. Will report back.

You are aware that setting RTH point to your controller is only valid for the moment where you do it?

GO4 does not support a dynamic homepoint!

As soon as you move away from that location the homepoint will no longer be your actual location but the old location where you have set it!

I went back today and repeated my flight. I made certain that I had a "fresh" invocation of Go 4. By dynamic (sorry for the error --- I should have said periodically manually updated --- I'm new to the vernacular), I assumed the new landing location would be the last place the HP was registered, and it worked this time. Last time, it went off to lands unknown. I assume if I'm on a boat and I periodically update my HP, it will RTH to the last HP registered. So, I'm OK there. It also works in Follow Me mode as advertised. What I verified today is that unless you make certain that a new Go 4 (not restarted from a previous flight), it will use stale data. I also verified that GPS on my iPad Mini with wi-fi + cell works fine w/o a data link through a SIM card, but will not provide a map. I now need to figure out how to preload maps in DJI Go 4.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61