DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Early Morning Fog

Thanks for your approval. I feel the lighting could be better but I'm just not very proficient with the photo editing suites yet.

Reactions: Prop Wash
Me neither - just starting to figure things out too.

It's rainy and windy here today, so instead of flying I'll toss out a some suggestions that are probably worth about what you paid for them. Disregard freely.

It's tough with high contrast scenes like this. You might try aiming the camera down to include more the ground and less bright sky. Then you could open the exposure to brighten things, letting the sky go a little overexposed. Most of the interest in the scene in the fog, water, and ground. Maybe concentrate more on reflections from the water instead of the sun.

Attachments

• DJI_0018.JPG
    DJI_0018.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Reactions: eckydrone200
It's rainy and windy here today, so instead of flyting I'll toss out a some suggestions that are probably worth about what you paid for them. Disregard freely.

It's tough with high contrast scenes like this. You might try aiming the camera down to include more the ground and less bright sky. Then you could open the exposure to brighten things, letting the sky go a little overexposed. Most of the interest in the scene in the fog, water, and ground. Maybe concentrate more on reflections from the water instead of the sun.
I like your thoughts on the shot. I should probably concentrate more on the content and as you say find the main point of interest and focus on that. Big learning curve ahead I think.

Couple of photos trying to show the early morning foggy patches.

View attachment 130316

View attachment 130317

Be grateful if someone with the know how could improve these and let me know what they did. I tried but nothing seemed to work for me.
Was the drone facing into the sun? the 2nd photo would suggest it may have been. I would think that if the photos were taken without compensating for this it it will result in a darker foreground. Reason; the camera looks at the brightest part of the image and the result is over exposure where the sun is brightest and dark elsewhere. I find the best is manual settings as you have greater control over the shot your taking. Also composition is important and the rule of thirds applies or the golden spiral, look them up for ideas.

Greetings! Thanks for sharing!

Couple of photos trying to show the early morning foggy patches.

View attachment 130316

View attachment 130317

Be grateful if someone with the know how could improve these and let me know what they did. I tried but nothing seemed to work for me.
1-retouched .jpg1-Un-retouched original .jpg2-un-retouched.jpg2-retouched.jpgI re-touched both images using the gradient filter and the burn and doge filters. Itopened up the dark foregrounds and intensified the skies.

Dale
Miami

Was the drone facing into the sun? the 2nd photo would suggest it may have been. I would think that if the photos were taken without compensating for this it it will result in a darker foreground. Reason; the camera looks at the brightest part of the image and the result is over exposure where the sun is brightest and dark elsewhere. I find the best is manual settings as you have greater control over the shot your taking. Also composition is important and the rule of thirds applies or the golden spiral, look them up for ideas.
Thanks for that info. I really need to put more thought in to my composition & exposure. I tend to leave it on auto rather than faff around with manual settings but I think next time I'll switch it to manual before taking off and leave it there. Played around a lot with DSLR and older SLR cameras so I should have more sense I guess. :confused:

Thanks for that info. I really need to put more thought in to my composition & exposure. I tend to leave it on auto rather than faff around with manual settings but I think next time I'll switch it to manual before taking off and leave it there. Played around a lot with DSLR and older SLR cameras so I should have more sense I guess. :confused:
Yep all the stuff you learnt using SLR (yes the35mm versions :)) and the DSLRs apply to drone cameras only difference is the viewing angle which is higher than normal..

Yep all the stuff you learnt using SLR (yes the35mm versions :)) and the DSLRs apply to drone cameras only difference is the viewing angle which is higher than normal..
After watching the images and videos in this forum for several years, the main exposure problem I see that almost everyone has to deal with is the high dynamic range between a bright sky, including sunsets, against the dark, and underexposed foreground. In DSLR images they are easily corrected with software (I mainly use the gradient filter to bring out the shadows in the foreground). In video(using Premiere Pro) , I cannot find any sort of tool like this filter. The bright sky over powers the sensor and exposes for the bright areas, and leaves the foregrounds dark or almost with no details.

After watching the images and videos in this forum for several years, the main exposure problem I see that almost everyone has to deal with is the high dynamic range between a bright sky, including sunsets, against the dark, and underexposed foreground. In DSLR images they are easily corrected with software (I mainly use the gradient filter to bring out the shadows in the foreground). In video(using Premiere Pro) , I cannot find any sort of tool like this filter. The bright sky over powers the sensor and exposes for the bright areas, and leaves the foregrounds dark or almost with no details.
you should still be able to correct for exposure if you shoot in RAW. I think the drone has a setting for that

you should still be able to correct for exposure if you shoot in RAW. I think the drone has a setting for that
I have never had the drone set for anything but RAW. Never shoot jpg. I do H.265 video and color correct in Premiere for video, and use Photoshop ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) for stills. I use gradient filter to open shadows in foregrounds. There is no way to set the lens for good exposure of a sunset/ sunrise and still retain the details in the foreground without post-processing to open shadows in foreground.

Fog is simply a cloud that forms on the ground. Two ways can fog formation occur. The first is when the air is cooled below the dew point. This causes fog droplets to form. Condensation occurs when the air temperature is equal to the dew temperature temperature. The second type of fog formation involves water vaporizing from the surface and settling in the air. This raises the dew point, until condensation occurs.

Fog can often dissolve with the dawn. This is often called the fog "burning away", but it is incorrect. The sun rises and the ground and air warm up. This causes the air temperature to rise above the dew point temperature and the fog droplets to evaporate.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji