DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Easy schmeezy: LAANC authorization 1 mile from SeaTac runway

KeithLa

Reactions
FYI, my first time requesting controlled airspace flight authorization for my MPP went fine today, via AirMap. Flight plan up to 50ft AGL was authorized within minutes (maybe even just one), fine for the low altitude photos I wanted over Angle Lake, just one mile east of Seattle's runway.

Takeoff also required clicking through DJI Go authorized zone unlock validation, with live connection to my online DJI profile. I also received a warning about being near an NFZ, not sure why, though.

Pretty sophisticated new system, considering complex airspace around Seattle -- check out these screenshots! Under previous FAA rec flyer rules, this location mandated a call to SeaTac control tower.

Kudos to the FAA, AirMap, and DJI!
c58d2e20d1147d934dbee391dba0b99e.jpg
923bcc19dadd31ecaec7775c5bc052eb.jpg

Reactions: SIT and Chip
That's great to hear. I haven't tried LAANC yet. My bigger fear is getting a DJI unlock, or needing one and not having an internet connection.

What's your fear of a DJI unlock request? They are straightforward, and unlikely to occur in remote areas.
I'm not literally afraid. But it's my understanding the most onerous unlock requires a login and internet access, and even in a non-remote area there might not be wi-fi to do that. Or maybe I totally misunderstand the authorization zone procedure ...

Got it. Even the unlock requiring internet connection isn't very onerous, I was able to complete it in thirty seconds or less over mobile data connection.

I doubt there are very many of these zones beyond mobile data service, given they mostly coincide with large airports in populated areas, I'd think.

All that said, I would agree, receiving these warnings can be distracting and adds to the nervous adrenaline we already go through in putting our drones up. :) It will be nice if/when DJI Go can eliminate them in concert with LAANC.

While you were flying, did you observe any aircraft landing or departing from the north-south active runway that is only about a mile from your flight location?

I'm not literally afraid. But it's my understanding the most onerous unlock requires a login and internet access, and even in a non-remote area there might not be wi-fi to do that. Or maybe I totally misunderstand the authorization zone procedure ...

You can request a self-unlock ahead of time via DJI's website: Self-unlock

If you go through that process, the authorization is sent to your controller while its still connected to data/Wi-Fi, and thus you will be allowed to fly even when you have no data connection at your flying site.

Reactions: KeithLa
A heartwarming read opposing the negative press.

If you can operate this system and inform a commercial air regulation body of your flight intentions then a level of study has been assumed between commercial license and goon strafing a ship full of explosives plus the explosive mix of damaged Lipo.

I'm right on the edge of international airport so I will study and try to see how it goes. Hopefully!

Reactions: SIT
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato