DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Eclipse Photos

Are they really eclipse photos? I didn't think a DSLR would pick up solar Flares?
Or is that just light bleeding through a filter or something

I used a Nikon D500 with 200-500 AF- S Nikkor Lens and TC-14E III teleconverter. For the corona shots, I did not use a filter. When the sun was exposed, I used a Lee 100x100 mm Eclipse Filter in a Lee Holder. The pictures of the shadow moving across the sun are kinda of boring. But, honestly, as I looked through the viewfinder at first totality, my breath was literally taken away. I think these photos probably rank as my all time favorite at this time. I've been shooting for 32 years, and I felt like a little kid when I saw these. The shots I posted are absolute plain shots with very, very little post.

My flares were not as clear. Shot on a Nikon d5600 with the kit 70-300 af-p lense at 300mm. Im still very pleased with the pics I got. I would have loved to have thrown the drone up in the air to catch the shodow moving across the ground but to many people.
DSC_0100.jpg by gmartell69, on Flickr
DSC_0105.jpg by gmartell69, on Flickr
DSC_0149.jpg by gmartell69, on Flickr

woaw.. guys congratulations they are amazing pictures!! is there any chance to have a less compressed image to download? I'd love it! thank you and good job really!

Mavric1008 - that is sweet! Your photos are the first I've seen showing solar flares. You got the same ones that I did. Duhh, I get it that everyone saw the same thing, but, it is still very cool in my opinion. I will add some higher resolution photos when I get home from the office.

Gah. Got to see about 65%, then a rain cloud came over the backside of the mountain I was perched on and cut loose.

Drove down and found another sunny spot at around the 90% mark, so I threw the Mavic up and parked it facing west at 500m. That's when the clouds from the isolated rainmaker caught up again. Missed the shadow, missed viewing totality, everything. All I got to experience was seeing it get night time dark for a couple minutes. :( Mavic caught a "gradual" roll to darkness, then back to light...almost like a timelapse sunrise. Not impressed.

Gah. Got to see about 65%, then a rain cloud came over the backside of the mountain I was perched on and cut loose.

Drove down and found another sunny spot at around the 90% mark, so I threw the Mavic up and parked it facing west at 500m. That's when the clouds from the isolated rainmaker caught up again. Missed the shadow, missed viewing totality, everything. All I got to experience was seeing it get night time dark for a couple minutes. :( Mavic caught a "gradual" roll to darkness, then back to light...almost like a timelapse sunrise. Not impressed.
Sorry to hear that, we drove 10 hours up to SC to see it. I was getting stressed out cause there were some big clouds moving in but cleared out just in time.

Sorry to hear that, we drove 10 hours up to SC to see it. I was getting stressed out cause there were some big clouds moving in but cleared out just in time.
I only did 7hrs to SC, but yeah. Was originally perched up on a south facing ridge near Caesars Head State Park.

Family says they still enjoyed it, being how none of them had seen legitimate mountains before. So it wasn't all bad. :)

I only did 7hrs to SC, but yeah. Was originally perched up on a south facing ridge near Caesars Head State Park.

Family says they still enjoyed it, being how none of them had seen legitimate mountains before. So it wasn't all bad. :)
WOW! We were watching not far from there in Greenville. We visited Caesars Head on Saturday
DSC_0971.jpg by gmartell69, on Flickr

Reactions: RavenTBK
I have a D5500. Came with a 18- 55 and a 70-300 Lens.
I don't presume it to be anything special. But it was a lot to spend on a camera for what
I use it for.

If someone can recommend a value for money, ideally compact Telescope to use with this camera,
let me know, link it up
Thx

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest