DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing H265 vs H264?

RC5728

Reactions
My laptop does fine when editing footage from the original Mavic.

Is it any harder to edit footage from the Mavic 2? Since the bit rate is 100 vs 60, and H265 vs H264, etc. Does it lag compared to the original Mavic footage?

My laptop does fine when editing footage from the original Mavic.

Is it any harder to edit footage from the Mavic 2? Since the bit rate is 100 vs 60, and H265 vs H264, etc. Does it lag compared to the original Mavic footage?

Lag? It depends on your computer. H265 can be a problem for older computers.

How much harder is it to work with than the original Mavic footage?

My laptop does fine with the Mavic footage.

Well, H265 10 bit is a different animal. You can use proxies or shadow files and that will speed it up. My 2 year old iBuyPower couldn't hack it with an eight core Ryzen 8320, RX480 gpu 16g of ram using raw files. My new Alienware Aurora R7 with an eighth gen I7, Nvidia 1080, 48g DDR4 3944 ram and 256 ssd secondary hard drive can.

Reactions: BRMAVIC
My new Alienware Aurora R7 with an eighth gen I7, Nvidia 1080, 48g DDR4 3944 ram and 256 ssd secondary hard drive can.

I would add that when editing H265 your main bottleneck is the gpu, Nvidia or else?
H265 is not handled properly by other gpu manufacturer (or they just don't support it), I tested it personally on few mac and pc's and when you test 4K footage on a computer that has a recent nvidia gpu you're able to play it back and work on it, otherwise it's going to be your nightmare. to render out a 2min clip on a xeon trashcan with 32gb of ram it took 20mins (gpu amd firepro 500).
check the list: Video Encode and Decode GPU Support Matrix

That is useful info - I was under the impression that a GTX 1070 or was fine as the GPU did not play much of a role va the CPU, but looks like there may be some benefit in the RTX2080

Besides getting a fast CPU and giving it a lot of RAM, be sure your video card is fairly high end with a lot of VRAM to cache with.

That is useful info - I was under the impression that a GTX 1070 or was fine as the GPU did not play much of a role va the CPU, but looks like there may be some benefit in the RTX2080

Well, let's say that the "RTX 2080 fever" is.. something else.
That gpu can handle more than most of us can create, I would say that is a bit of a waste of money if you need it only for editing your drone footage.
On the other hand if you're a professional editor which will work on a dozen different heavy codecs and formats makes sense to invest in a future proof purchase. But let's keep in mind that you'll put that beast at work properly only in a heavy 3D workload with realtime raytracing and physics simulations. I would say that to edit mavic 2 pro footage a gtx1080ti it's VERY good. Even a GTX1060 will do the job.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser