DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing Help - Mavic Pro and Premier Pro - Jumpy

luckydog125

Reactions
Hi and thanks in advance for any suggestions. I am using Premier Pro to edit footage shot from the Mavic Pro (2nd drone after moving up from Vision 2 Plus) and everything is very jumpy. I have read the posts about computers not being powerful enough or shooting in 4K but just wondering what would be the best solution. My process is to edit, fully render project, create MP4 video and then post to Vimeo. Once it is on Vimeo, it looks great but all processes up to that point and very very jumpy which is making editing extremely difficult. Again, any suggestions much appreciated!

Reactions: avanti1963
While I am not a Premier user, I do understand that there's something like a pre-render option, that you run first. This makes the editing go much smoother. Someone else will chime in here with more knowledge. But, you might hunt down that option and see if it fixes your problem.

I'm a Final Cut Pro user but they're pretty much all the same. Lets start with finding out how much RAM/Memory you have and the specs on the system you're using. I can edit 4K video on my macbook pro all day long but it was built for that purpose. Let us know we can go from there. Looking forward to seeing the video when it's done.

Thanks - Yes, I just realized this thing is a little long in the tooth. Early 2008 iMac, 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GM RAM.........so I think I know your answer, but I was able to edit my footage on the Vision 2 Plus with no issues. Is that just due to the differences in resolution I am shooting at with the Mavic?

Reactions: hookalakupua
not sure if it applies or helps with your machine but check that you have HW acceleration enabled in Premiere settings

Thanks - Yes, I just realized this thing is a little long in the tooth. Early 2008 iMac, 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GM RAM.........so I think I know your answer, but I was able to edit my footage on the Vision 2 Plus with no issues. Is that just due to the differences in resolution I am shooting at with the Mavic?
Bingo! You're spot on. Although, a great machine in its time, it unfortunately is too outdated to be dealing with 4K Video. The processing needs in order to handle 4K video are on the high end/extreme and here's a great link if interested.

4K: What you need to know

If you decide to look into a new system, be sure to look for some help from some of the guys around here. Or, you could just buy a macbook pro. :D (I used to work at apple, so I'm a bit bias.) :p

Good luck! :)

You may have a setting in your video editing software to work with low-res copy files during editing... This allows you to view without jumps. Also, try outputting in just 720 as a first draft. That will play fine and if you're happy, then re-output into 1080 or 4K for uploading to Vimeo...

+1 for proxies, convert the footage to low res copies, work with those until you're happy and then replace the footage before rendering.

Used this method in the past when i had a rig that couldn't handle the files.

Thanks for everyones help............I wondered if you would mind taking a look at the video I worked on last night. I then posted to Vimeo and even after posting, would you agree this doesnt look "smooth"? I muddled through the editing but was surprised to see the posted version not looking so great. Opinion? https://vimeo.com/222208481

SSD (solid state drive) will sort your problems easy to fit. Look for a free program called macrem reflect to transfer your old hard drive over to your new.

+1 for proxies, convert the footage to low res copies, work with those until you're happy and then replace the footage before rendering.

Used this method in the past when i had a rig that couldn't handle the files.
Just learning about this myself.

Actually, it's much slicker than that... set up the Ingest parameters, and low-res proxies are automatically made when you import media into the project. After that, the only thing you need to do is switch to the proxy media in the monitor for smooth playback when scrubbing the playhead... the full-res source is automatically used when you export to the Media encoder.

Reactions: digdat0
In the preview window of premier, what resolution are you using? i set mine to 1/8 and it helps.

Are you on windows 10?

In the preview window of premier, what resolution are you using? i set mine to 1/8 and it helps.

Are you on windows 10?
Windows 10, PPCC 2017. HP Envy media laptop, FWIW.

Can't handle scrubbing the playhead on 4K. Plays smoothly in real-time, but doesn't seek well.

Reactions: digdat0
When you queue the file it goes to media encoder if you just export it works just with ppr not media encoder
View attachment 15352
Ahhh... that's what I pretty much always do. However, it sure looks to me like it's using Media Encoder, it just starts it right away rather than waiting for you to tell it to start processing the queue.

After hitting Export, the job is there in the ME queue being processed, just as if I'd hit the Queue button then gone to the Queue window and started processing.

I'm confused, honestly.

Proxies are the way to go with newer Premiere Pro.
You won't find Ingest options even on (my) CC2015.
There are ways to workaround but a bit cumbersome.
My computer is 6 years old but mid-range by modern standards, it can edit 4K live with preview set low, rendering can take hours if there are many adjustments.
It manages much better on 2.7K which some consider best anyway, suggest trying that it will certainly help.
Sooner or later a new whizzy fast SSD computer will be the way forward.

Ahhh... that's what I pretty much always do. However, it sure looks to me like it's using Media Encoder, it just starts it right away rather than waiting for you to tell it to start processing the queue.

After hitting Export, the job is there in the ME queue being processed, just as if I'd hit the Queue button then gone to the Queue window and started processing.

I'm confused, honestly.

for some reason if you export from ppr it gives better results than media encoder. ppr has the better engine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61