DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing Software recommendations

Rainsong

Reactions
Hi there,
need some recommendations on editing software. New to drone flying and tried to make my first video in my stoneage Pinnacle Studio 15 (2011) and not working. I haven't used it in 3-4 yours and recently upgraded to windows 10. I have read it's not compatible even though I have reintalled the software. I know Adobe Premier is probably the best but I don't really want the suite and pay $20 a month or whatever it costs. Should I get the latest Pinnacle since I am used to it's interface? Or can you still buy premiere? Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated! PS- this is a hobby, don't plan on going pro!

Hi there,
need some recommendations on editing software. New to drone flying and tried to make my first video in my stoneage Pinnacle Studio 15 (2011) and not working. I haven't used it in 3-4 yours and recently upgraded to windows 10. I have read it's not compatible even though I have reintalled the software. I know Adobe Premier is probably the best but I don't really want the suite and pay $20 a month or whatever it costs. Should I get the latest Pinnacle since I am used to it's interface? Or can you still buy premiere? Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated! PS- this is a hobby, don't plan on going pro!
Then you should go for Davinci resolve ... the free version misses out very little from their "Studio" version (payed), it's very potent & doesn't cost a cent. Perhaps a bit re-learning but YouTube is full of tutorials covering nearly all aspects from the basic interface to more advanced editing. This software even works splendid on older computer equipment with the "Generate Optimized Media" functionality, making scrubbing through clips & edits like you had top notch computer specs.

You download it here --> DaVinci Resolve 16 | Blackmagic Design (scroll the whole way down & there you have it ...)

Thanks, davinci resolve was one recommended on a youtube video as one of the best free editing softwares. I assume it can handle 4k and do time lapse?

Thanks, davinci resolve was one recommended on a youtube video as one of the best free editing softwares. I assume it can handle 4k and do time lapse?
No problems at all... just download it, view a tutorial about the basics on YT to get into the user interface & try it out.

Reactions: Rainsong
If you have an extra $20, LumaFusion is an awesome option. My older computer does Photoshop and Lightroom really well. But editing any video of consequence it just stares at me and laughs. I invested in a iPad Pro, and all is well!

Hi, I'm new to drone flying as well as to video editing. I read the posts and Davinci Resolve does get a lot of recommendations. I tried it after my first flight and after watching some youtube videos I got into a right mess and ended up deleting some parts of my footage. I have an iPad, so I decided to try iMovie, as it is free, and after watching 1 youtube video I successfully edited my first video. Admittedly Steven Spielberg hasn't got any cause for concern, but for a first attempt it wasn't bad. BTW my iPad is 5th gen. As I still have Davinci Resolve on my pc, I decided to have a better go at learning the basics (if I could!) so I invested in an online course with Udemy and I've just started watching the first few chapters, and so far it makes sense. The instructor is very good and very clear. If you'd like more info, please let me know and I'd be happy to share.

Im on Filmora 9 it runs way better on my old i7 pc. i have 16gb ram nvidia 1050ti and ssd drives still resolve was painful. filmora is very fast and it just works for me plus lots of tutorials online for free. i think its about $60 or so to buy not expensive .

...I have an iPad, so I decided to try iMovie, as it is free...

iMovie is a great platform to easily learn the basics. Once you get comfortable with lanes, b-roll, transitions and titles...once you take it as far as it can go, upgrade to Final Cut Pro. It’s iMovie on steroids. Same basic technique and workflow, but FCPX is waaaay more capable. iMovie is but a tiny, tiny fraction of FCPX, but what you learn to do in iMovie directly transfers to FCPX.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
iMovie is a great platform to easily learn the basics. Once you get comfortable with lanes, b-roll, transitions and titles...once you take it as far as it can go, upgrade to Final Cut Pro. It’s iMovie on steroids. Same basic technique and workflow, but FCPX is waaaay more capable. iMovie is but a tiny, tiny fraction of FCPX, but what you learn to do in iMovie directly transfers to FCPX.
Thanks, but I'm windows 10. Although I was thinking of getting a small ipad to replace my phone to use for viewing.

Adding to the chorus of Resolve. Going “off brand” with a less well known editing tool compared to resolve/Vegas/premiere is just going to be frustrating, as you’ll have a more difficult time finding resources on it.

Being as it's free I would guess it's not as good as premiere. ?

Im on Filmora 9 it runs way better on my old i7 pc. i have 16gb ram nvidia 1050ti and ssd drives still resolve was painful. filmora is very fast and it just works for me plus lots of tutorials online for free. i think its about $60 or so to buy not expensive .
easy light and fast!

Reactions: ninja_geezer
Hi guys....... new here to the art of video editing. Recently though after doing a lot of research I went ahead and bought a copy of Movavi Video Editor Plus 2020 for the new Dell XPS i7, nvidia geforce, ssd desktop. What enamored me beyond the intuitive functionality was h265 codec compatibility and a function they call 'beat detection.' This analyzes the sound track and places markers on the timeline to aid in video transitions.

My problem though, the system hangs when i try to analyze any soundtrack and results in nothing other than high continuous cpu usage. Not what I want !! :confused: Has anyone else ran into this issue or have any suggestions. I've made sure all my drivers and os are updated, tried it with & w/o cpu & video acceleration, even reinstalled. A msg to Movavi support has yielded nada.....

Yeah, davinci is powerful but I fear my computer is not. It doesn't want to scrub through the video and many commands aren't working. I think it may be overkill for what I'm needing at this stage. All I need now is something where I can edit, have transitions, speed up for time lapse and simple color correction. I think I may try shotcut and see if it works better on my computer.

Yeah, davinci is powerful but I fear my computer is not. It doesn't want to scrub through the video and many commands aren't working. I think it may be overkill for what I'm needing at this stage. All I need now is something where I can edit, have transitions, speed up for time lapse and simple color correction. I think I may try shotcut and see if it works better on my computer.
FILMORA try it

You can try rendering proxies or using an alternate codec if you still want Da Vinci to work. I'd strongly suggest it, as it'll be the best option for the editing you'd like to do. It's not unreasonably heavy software, so I'd suspect you'll run into similar issues with other editing tools if you're using that same footage.

I'm not sure what that means, lol! My videos render okay, it's just the scrubbing has a huge lag or it's just frozen. Is there a setting to change to "proxy"?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada