DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing videos

Reactions
Hey y’all!

Have a few questions on how editing videos works . I’m brand new to editing ,
I’ve put my m2p video mode to 4K HQ hoping to be able to zoom on content in while editing .

Can I edit videos through an iPad or do I need a laptop ?
What do you recommend for a editing app or software?

Thanks !
CL

I use iMovie on a iPad Pro. Fairly easy to learn and free. Handles 4K H.264, not sure about H.265.

There are many options out there. It all depends on what you're goals are. When approaching new endeavors that I think I'm going to like I've never been disappointed when I set out to equip myself with something I can grow into instead of grow out of. So I'm biased.

I am a huge fan of Davinci Resolve. Not only is it a powerful piece of editing software, but the standard full-featured version is FREE- available for both Mac and PC! They just came out with version 17 and IMO the features are simply mind blowing for free software. It has 90% of what their upgraded software has and is not dumbed down and limitations are minor compared to their $300 Studio version. You would need hardware to accomodate it. But interestingly it is optimized for the very inexpensive Mac Mini M1. You could edit Davinci Resolve on a laptop if it has the processing requirements, but us older folks need at least a 27" screen to do anything meaningful ?.

My 02¢ worth

I have used the newer version of Windows Movie Maker to do the basic stuff like cutting and splicing and adding titles

Hey y’all!

Have a few questions on how editing videos works . I’m brand new to editing ,
I’ve put my m2p video mode to 4K HQ hoping to be able to zoom on content in while editing .

Can I edit videos through an iPad or do I need a laptop ?
What do you recommend for a editing app or software?

Thanks !
CL
Your question sounds, like, "hey, I like that brain surgery. Can you show me how to do it?"

I don't know about you, but video editing took me about a year to learn the basics so I can produce a product that is acceptable. You are dealing with multiple factors. (1) Computer selection, (2) Software selection.

For decent editing, you're going to need a bigger boat. E.g.: a fairly fast computer with lots of RAM. Are you going to use a PC for MAC? MACs are more graphically design oriented.Most laptops are not equipped for video editing unless specifically ordered.

For software, your choices are many. Starting with the very excellent free versions, and progressing to the more professional versions, like Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro.

My advise: Don't do anything just yet. Spend a lot of time watching video editing You Tubes.

Dale

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Your question sounds, like, "hey, I like that brain surgery. Can you show me how to do it?"

I don't know about you, but video editing took me about a year to learn the basics so I can produce a product that is acceptable. You are dealing with multiple factors. (1) Computer selection, (2) Software selection.

For decent editing, you're going to need a bigger boat. E.g.: a fairly fast computer with lots of RAM. Are you going to use a PC for MAC? MACs are more graphically design oriented.Most laptops are not equipped for video editing unless specifically ordered.

For software, your choices are many. Starting with the very excellent free versions, and progressing to the more professional versions, like Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro.

My advise: Don't do anything just yet. Spend a lot of time watching video editing You Tubes.

Dale

Good point , I think I will take my time and study and play around with a basic one.

Thanks !
CL

Good point , I think I will take my time and study and play around with a basic one.

Thanks !
CL
Over the years I have been on this forum, most of the members swear by Da Vinci Resolve 17 free version. They say it has most everything that the pay-for version has and is not that much better. I have zero experience with Da Vinci Resolve. There are a ton of videos (YouTube) on it. I'd watch their web site video first to see if it is for you.

All of these have a learning curve. It is useless, as far as I am concerned, to fly a drone, without the pleasure of video and still photography. I spend most of my time in retirement doing it I (besides tennis) and it is really gratifying for me.

Dale
Miami

Reactions: EricJT
I would suggest you edit on a laptop rather than an ipad. And for editing, I prefer DaVinci Resolve.

I would suggest you edit on a laptop rather than an ipad. And for editing, I prefer DaVinci Resolve.
Better yet, a desktop with a large monitor or monitors with a lot or real estate and ability to blow up for detailed viewing. Ditto on Davinci Resolve. Start with a program you can grow into instead of grow out of.

I know that Resolve not the easiest software for novices in editing videos, and you shouldn't use it if it's really hard for you, so you can also try movavi editor. I used it for creating split screen videos (for showing the same video with filter (one half) and without the other half. Here is the link https://www.movavi.com/support/how-to/how-to-make-a-split-screen-video.html.

Last edited:
There are apps for iPads and some decent lightweight ones for laptops, but if you really want to get into editing, I would recommend Davinci Resolve, as several others have already mentioned. It's pretty resource-intensive and is not the easiest to learn (no pro editing software is), but it is incredibly feature-rich and powerful, even in the world of paid software. I'm actually working on creating a course to make the learning curve of editing and color grading drone footage in Davinci easier, but you can get long ways by watching YouTube videos on Davinci and editing in general.

There are apps for iPads and some decent lightweight ones for laptops, but if you really want to get into editing, I would recommend Davinci Resolve, as several others have already mentioned. It's pretty resource-intensive and is not the easiest to learn (no pro editing software is), but it is incredibly feature-rich and powerful, even in the world of paid software. I'm actually working on creating a course to make the learning curve of editing and color grading drone footage in Davinci easier, but you can get long ways by watching YouTube videos on Davinci and editing in general.
For my own personal work flow, I like to accumulate all of my "assets" for a project (I use multiple video sources), my stills, and my music into the same folder, and then sit at a desktop (iMac) and edit. I cannot eve imagine editing and sending out stuff on the fly from a phone, but then, again, I am not one of the younger generation. I do not have a Facebook account, or an active Instagram account. I try to make a professional looking film.

Reactions: vindibona1
For my own personal work flow, I like to accumulate all of my "assets" for a project (I use multiple video sources), my stills, and my music into the same folder, and then sit at a desktop (iMac) and edit. I cannot eve imagine editing and sending out stuff on the fly from a phone, but then, again, I am not one of the younger generation. I do not have a Facebook account, or an active Instagram account. I try to make a professional looking film.
Couldn't agree more! I can see doing a quick edit of some drone footage for IG on a tablet or maybe even phone, but for any serious editing, a real computer is a must! Especially when you are trying to edit a larger project, with multiple cameras, audio that needs to be synced, hundreds of clips, etc, it would be a nightmare to edit on a mobile device!

Couldn't agree more! I can see doing a quick edit of some drone footage for IG on a tablet or maybe even phone, but for any serious editing, a real computer is a must! Especially when you are trying to edit a larger project, with multiple cameras, audio that needs to be synced, hundreds of clips, etc, it would be a nightmare to edit on a mobile device!
Great minds think alike

Thank you
Was it the Smugmug website or the
Very true!! I think anyone who has done serious editing would have to agree.

P.S Just looked at your website and you have some amazing work. ?
thank you- were you referring to the Smugmug website or the Vimeo website?

Another vote for DR17. I had been using the free version for a couple of years when came with the offer of a free speed editor keyboard when you purchased the studio version. Too good to resist.

I have been editing video/movies since the days of cutting up and gluing 8mm film but initially found DV daunting but their are heaps of instructional videos on Utube. I also spent a fortnight of lockdown going through the free course DR has on their web page. Not an expert but find the questions are less, or more complex now.

Reactions: FlyingFilmmaker
Thank you
Was it the Smugmug website or the

thank you- were you referring to the Smugmug website or the Vimeo website?
The SmugMug site. Super slow internet right now so I didn't get to look at any of the videos, just the photography.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters