DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EGR restrictions and sub 249g drones

MickeyMoo

Reactions
Can anyone tell me what a EGR restriction is? My circumstances are in my city we have a CAT A prison. On DroneAssist the prison is obviously shown as a no fly zone. The surrounding area has a EGR radius of about 1-2 miles. What drones can fly in this area, if any?

I'm sure you did a Goggle search as I did and I couldn't find anything with "EGR" that had anything to do with drones. I can only assume it has something to do with the GEO Zones.

Reactions: GFields
I'm pretty sure EGR ( or perhaps it should be EG - Rxxx?) relates to general flight restriction areas and is generally aimed at manned aircraft, but usually includes drones.

Here's a random one as an example that relates to flight restrictions around RAF Scampton: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...sQFnoECBkQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2XOcLRE-7dMAE2KyHvEbO1
Many thanks for this. I class my self as an experienced drone user but I simply do not know about certain regs. Judging the lack of response to my query, there is a lot of of other experience drone flyers do not know. So, how the hell is a guy who buys his first drone from Amazon, Walmart etc going to know where to fly?

Many thanks for this. I class my self as an experienced drone user but I simply do not know about certain regs. Judging the lack of response to my query, there is a lot of of other experience drone flyers do not know. So, how the hell is a guy who buys his first drone from Amazon, Walmart etc going to know where to fly?
I asked CAA about one recently...turned out it was aimed at helicopters and drone flights were not excluded.

I asked CAA about one recently...turned out it was aimed at helicopters and drone flights were not excluded.
Wonder if you could share the EG-R ref number, or a link to the notice? I'd be keen to see the wording used and if it explicitly mentions manned flight or inapplicability for UAS, or just refers to altitude ranges beyond 120m.

Found some further info on "EGR" restrictions which may be helpful to others:

1677677649546.png

If there are airspace restrictions detailed in one of these EG notices that are applicable to drone flights then this "should" show as a restricted area on a reliable drone no-fly map. From my experience the DJI geozones don't always include these, but then also impose other restrictions that aren't needed (eg 60m alt restrictions beyond the no-fly zones on runway approach paths.

There doesn't seem to be a 100% reliable "no-fly zone" map for drones in the UK.

I suspect so. I noticed you were from Yorkshire as well. My query was about Wakefield which has a EGR.
Today I went on the DJI Geo fence unlocking service. I type all my details in including the Drone serial number. I then focused the map on Wakefield and EGR was not even shown only the perimeter of the prison. I launched the drone today in the EGR and there was no warning shown on the DJI flight app. I wish the restrictions were explained better and drone pilots would know exactly where they can fly without jumping through hoops.

This helps....
:D great minds think alike... I was going to post a link to that page. The map seems to show all the EG restrictions that apply to drones, and hopefully not the ones that don't apply.

Interesting to note that large areas of the Highlands are restricted (some only between certain altitudes, so not really relevant for drones). I'm sure many a drone has been flown in these areas without the proper permissions, and the pilot was unaware they needed permission!

Reactions: Hiwayman
This does not apply to drones. Vast amounts of the Yorkshire east coast are in red.
If you click on the red areas you'll get a description of the specifics of the restriction. It's a bit heavy on technospeak, but a lot of the restrictions along the Yorkshire coastline are only restrictions between certain altitudes, EG FL150 - FL660, which means 15000ft - 66000ft above sealevel in normal English. You'd be doing well to fall foul of that with a drone.

It's not very helpful having these kind of restrictions on the map, even though, in a very technical way they are applicable to Drones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hiwayman