DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Eilean Donan Castle, Dornie, Scotland

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Eilean Donan Castle drone flight from a very windy and changeable Monday - it has taken 10 hrs for the cottage wifi to upload, but worth every second....

We are away in Drumnadrochit with friends, and enjoying the changeable Highand Weather, exploring amazing places, sharing fun times and good food with great folks - don't think we have laughed so much for a very long time... Oh, and the drone now has a name, courtesy of a friend, 'Mighty Midge' is his preferred monicker ;)

Lots of fun, lots of footage and now lots to process when we get home, although I think perhaps this is the most beautiful thing I have yet created - a veritable love letter to the picture perfect Eilean Donan Castle...

Thanks... BTW - you have an awesome profile pic...
you probably know who it is but for those who dont, its Dr. Strangelove himself from the movie, Dr. Strangelove. one of my fav movies of all times!

Reactions: AlbionDrones
you probably know who it is but for those who dont, its Dr. Strangelove himself from the movie, Dr. Strangelove. one of my fav movies of all times!
Yup, a brilliant movie, and Peter Sellers was a genius, he was brilliant in the multiple roles in Dr Strangelove...

• Love
Reactions: Jug's Life
Eilean Donan Castle drone flight from a very windy and changeable Monday - it has taken 10 hrs for the cottage wifi to upload, but worth every second....

We are away in Drumnadrochit with friends, and enjoying the changeable Highand Weather, exploring amazing places, sharing fun times and good food with great folks - don't think we have laughed so much for a very long time... Oh, and the drone now has a name, courtesy of a friend, 'Mighty Midge' is his preferred monicker ;)

Lots of fun, lots of footage and now lots to process when we get home, although I think perhaps this is the most beautiful thing I have yet created - a veritable love letter to the picture perfect Eilean Donan Castle...

Beautiful. Many memories of our pre COVID trip. I hope mighty midge isn't as irritating as the midges in Scotland 😁

Beautifully flown. Perhaps a tad long @ 4:39. I would drop your opening scene as the castle is too dark. Generally 2.5 - 3 minutes max is best to aim for. Not easy I know. Any of your other clips could be an opener. Nice soundtrack as well. 👍🏻

Beautifully flown. Perhaps a tad long @ 4:39. I would drop your opening scene as the castle is too dark. Generally 2.5 - 3 minutes max is best to aim for. Not easy I know. Any of your other clips could be an opener. Nice soundtrack as well. 👍🏻
I agree. I tend to also go for between 2.5 to 3 minutes or just a little longer if the footage warrants it. I posted a video of just over 4 minutes a few days ago and felt this was a tad long but the footage made it hard to curtail it.

I agree. I tend to also go for between 2.5 to 3 minutes or just a little longer if the footage warrants it. I posted a video of just over 4 minutes a few days ago and felt this was a tad long but the footage made it hard to curtail it.
Have to say I dont think either of you is incorrect, but given the beauty of the shots and the wonderful music I let the music dictate the length of the video rather than cut it short on this one... I think it works, but whether anyone else will watch it all is open to debate :)

Have to say I dont think either of you is incorrect, but given the beauty of the shots and the wonderful music I let the music dictate the length of the video rather than cut it short on this one... I think it works, but whether anyone else will watch it all is open to debate :)
The thing is, and I'm not saying this is the case of your video, that generally speaking, there is only so much you can show in drone videos before it gets repetitive especially if you stay within VLOS. That's the main reason that I say that a video length of around 3 minutes is optimum, sometimes maybe a little more if your source footage can support it without falling into that repetition trap, sometimes less. There is also the issue of retaining your audience engagement: People get bored too quickly and often don't stick around to the end of the video if it's not one that they've produced.

When I edit a video I try to avoid repetition then I choose the music to fit the video rather than edit the video to fit the music, so to speak. I always start with a 9 or 10 second indent at the beginning then the body of the video and then choose the music to fit the body. I seldom make a video more than 4 minutes often averaging around 3 minutes. In my early days I regularly edited videos of maybe 5 or 6 minutes and even 10 minutes at times but I quickly realised that few people actually watched them to the end, or didn't actually watch them at all when they saw the length.

Don't see this as a bad criticism of your video. It's good, there's no question about that. I'm just passing on my experience.
Flush.

The thing is, and I'm not saying this is the case of your video, that generally speaking, there is only so much you can show in drone videos before it gets repetitive especially if you stay within VLOS. That's the main reason that I say that a video length of around 3 minutes is optimum, sometimes maybe a little more if your source footage can support it without falling into that repetition trap, sometimes less. There is also the issue of retaining your audience engagement: People get bored too quickly and often don't stick around to the end of the video if it's not one that they've produced.

When I edit a video I try to avoid repetition then I choose the music to fit the video rather than edit the video to fit the music, so to speak. I always start with a 9 or 10 second indent at the beginning then the body of the video and then choose the music to fit the body. I seldom make a video more than 4 minutes often averaging around 3 minutes. In my early days I regularly edited videos of maybe 5 or 6 minutes and even 10 minutes at times but I quickly realised that few people actually watched them to the end, or didn't actually watch them at all when they saw the length.

Don't see this as a bad criticism of your video. It's good, there's no question about that. I'm just passing on my experience.
Flush.
Totally appreciate the time taken to comment and the sentiments, and thanks for sharing your own experience, I have only been lfying and editing since August, so still a long way from mastering drone videography and do take on board your comments... I am using free music atm - hubby is from Yorkshire and doesnt like to spend money if at all possible, so finding suitable music is proving to be a limiting factor, hence why I am editing to the length of music rather than the other way around, but I do get your point of view and how it works - as time goes on I wil learn more and probably limit the footage to 2 to 3 minutes in orderr to keep audience engagement...

Reactions: FlushVision
Totally appreciate the time taken to comment and the sentiments, and thanks for sharing your own experience, I have only been lfying and editing since August, so still a long way from mastering drone videography and do take on board your comments... I am using free music atm - hubby is from Yorkshire and doesnt like to spend money if at all possible, so finding suitable music is proving to be a limiting factor, hence why I am editing to the length of music rather than the other way around, but I do get your point of view and how it works - as time goes on I wil learn more and probably limit the footage to 2 to 3 minutes in orderr to keep audience engagement...
I understand your hubby's view on spending money. I come from an area on the edge of West Yorkshire (albeit on the Lancashire side of that invisible line), but most of the flights I conduct are actually in West Yorkshire. By the way, I've been flying drones since January 2015....over 8 years starting out with a Phantom 2 Vision.

Try using the YouTube music library for free music. Some of that stuff you need to include some info on that music in the video's description, but that's a small thing to do if you want free music, but there's a good choice of music to be had from there that you don't need to include anything about it in the description.
Flush.

Enjoyed it very much. I also found it a little too long - perhaps one or two less circuits of the castle would have helped keep interest. Loved the last section with the different angles. It certainly is great scenery and you've captured it beautifully - visually and musically.

Just watched this video, how good was that, well done you! I was there a couple of days ago, `i flew my drone and got some footage, not as expertly as you though. It however has given me food for thought on how to capture good footage. `i am still at the stage of just flying and hope for the best!! I need to plan more.
I have enjoyed your other videos as well. We are coming to an end of a 3 week road trip in our motorhome. Been to Mull, Skye and `lewis/Harris and now at Loch Lomond to then go home to Portsmouth on Saturday. `it has been a wonderful trip and so glad i had my drone.
I will try and put a movie together of all the best bits when i get home.
happy flying and keep up the great filming

• Love
Just watched this video, how good was that, well done you! I was there a couple of days ago, `i flew my drone and got some footage, not as expertly as you though. It however has given me food for thought on how to capture good footage. `i am still at the stage of just flying and hope for the best!! I need to plan more.
I have enjoyed your other videos as well. We are coming to an end of a 3 week road trip in our motorhome. Been to Mull, Skye and `lewis/Harris and now at Loch Lomond to then go home to Portsmouth on Saturday. `it has been a wonderful trip and so glad i had my drone.
I will try and put a movie together of all the best bits when i get home.
happy flying and keep up the great filming
Thanks Johnny, I only started flying in August last year myself, so still learning and improving, each flight gives an opportunity to try something new and to miprove what has been done before..
Sounds like an epic trip, been to all those places in the past 8 year, but not with the Drone - off to Orkney in late June, and then Skye and Lewis / Harris in October, so hopefully I shall get some footage then - assuming wind and weather play ball!
Hope you enjoyed the trip and I will look forwards to your own movie when its edited..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas