DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Electrical Shielding??

Maxx Levell

Reactions
What are you guys using for possible electrical shielding for say flying power lines and transformers and such?

What are you guys using for possible electrical shielding for say flying power lines and transformers and such?
Nothing. I just keep a reasonable distance, like 20-50 feet depending on size of the conductor. An insulator than would block the radiated electromagnetic field would likely interfere with the drone’s GPS reception and related functions.

Here is the closest I've gotten to 11kV lines:DJI_0180.JPG

DJI_0175ed.jpg

DJI_0174.JPG

OSHA requires that equipment be kept at least a 10 foot distance from 0-50kV lines, farther at higher voltages.

I also noticed that when I tried to fly directly above and parallel to the lines, it was almost impossible. The aircraft kept drifting, even with 14 satellites locked. I'm blaming it on the magnetic field around the lines. Or my inability to fly straight. :)

Thanks Guys! We weren't sure if folks were trying to shield or not. Our Enterprise arrived yesterday, and one of the guys took it out this morning for it's maiden flight. Seems like it's going to be a nice addition.

Reactions: jimlips
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut