DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Emergency Fire Condition in Oregon - What do I do Now?

@Rip

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
westcoastdrones.net
Hi All!
I have been put on standby for a local fire district for High Fire Danger. Hot spots, etc. The Gig is to (if called) locate hot spots Mostly smoke. And who knows what... fires have thier on mind and create thier own weather...

Fire situations are not new to me but a helicopter is different from a drone so....

In the current situation the fire district is wanting me to respond to issues where they cant get to rapidly to see. Mostly to analyze the equipment that might be needed to be deployed, if something breaks out.

I'm prepping the Mav 2 Pro. 4 Batteries. (car charger in hand) I just don't want to forget anything. New props, etc. Winds are expected to be above 17 mph but most likely more in a area affected by fire.

I didn't have enough time to get a waiver for BVLOS. so there you go.
Just looking for thoughts, opinions etc.

This is where having the Thermal Camera could really come in handy .
But it sounds like this is a standard perimeter check form your point of view , so you might not need to break VLOS.
I would prepare for taking the drone up in intervals though out the day and night .
Maybe having a light would be a good idea.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Reactions: @Rip
High alert in my neck of the woods, and power will be shut off for at least 24hrs. After the big fire 2 years ago, losing power for a short period seems trivial to me. Good luck and be safe out there...

Cheers!

Good luck and best to everyone around there.

Don't know if this tip helps: I have a 120V outlet in my vehicle. I take a 100 w AC Wall charger/brick to plug in and recharge from when I am going to be far enough away and long enough in flight to need to recharge controller or batteries. Super-fast compared to car charger for my equipment.

Reactions: Capt KO and @Rip
It is probably too late to acquire one for you, but if your car doesn’t have a 120 V plug buy an inverter to take your 12V car battery to 120V to plug in your battery charger.

This is so scary. A few years ago we were only a few miles from a big fire in California and loaded all of our prize possessions in preparation for evacuation.

But it sounds like this is a standard perimeter check form your point of view , so you might not need to break VLOS.
I would prepare for taking the drone up in intervals though out the day and night .

Phantomrain.org
I'll mount the firehouse!

Good luck and best to everyone around there.

Don't know if this tip helps: I have a 120V outlet in my vehicle. I take a 100 w AC Wall charger/brick to plug in and recharge from when I am going to be far enough away and long enough in flight to need to recharge controller or batteries. Super-fast compared to car charger for my equipment.

I appreciate the good wishes and suggestions from all. A 120v converter is a GREAT idea.There are currently 4 good batteries in rotation, two in route, eta Monday.
I suspect that if anything ignites, I'll be up and down like a "brides nighty"!
April 2022 - Seal Rock Oregon:

Seak-Rock-Fire-April-2022.jpg
This was a hot one but it was contained in a small space.Drone elevation: 98-120 ft. A second drone will be in our future. The M2p hull got quite warm... too warm.
EXIF data has been retained in the image
I suppose I'll update the thread hopefully with, "I went the weekend with no beer at all!-- Nothing else happened" ... We'll see.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Phantomrain.org

Phantomrain.org
Would you consider designing a protective and insulating "Hot-Suit" for drones?
I know your wesuits have been used in hot situations... I'll take my questions to your website so we can stay on topic here.

Last edited:
This is going to be a scary weekend for anywhere downwind from the Columbia River Gorge. The Gorge is a tinderbox right now and the wind conditions are almost identical to what we had in 2017 when the Eagle Creek Fire hit.

scary weekend for anywhere downwind
Absolutely.. BTW Drones are all over the Eagle and Elk fires to mention only 2.. Providing good recon for the "command centers" but also GREAT PR for uAS reputation and public opinion.
FLY RIGHT - FLY SAFE

Would you consider designing a protective and insulating "Hot-Suit" for drones?
The Wet Suits are made of Closed Cell Neoprene and are non flammable. They were used by many pilots to fly there drones over the Volcanic activity that happened In Iceland last year.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Fly over the Volcanos.

Reactions: Capt KO and @Rip
Drones have replaced maned fire towers these days. Have to believe it saves forestry services plenty of expense. From 400’ expect you can see smoke during day and a glow at night from quite a distance. Good luck and stay safe..as possible anyhow, praying for rain.
Thank You for your service.

This is going to be a scary weekend for anywhere downwind from the Columbia River Gorge. The Gorge is a tinderbox right now and the wind conditions are almost identical to what we had in 2017 when the Eagle Creek Fire hit.
All up and down the west coast. Here in the Seattle area, we've "dodged the bullet" all summer with wildfires and smoke...until today. Air quality is going to "hellish" overnight along with strong, gusty easterly winds, red flag warnings all over the (formerly spared) west side of the Cascades. To the south and east, I know it's worse. Gonna be nasty here for at least the next couple of days. The winds should shift to offshore on Monday and we'll get some relief from the smoke and ash, but if we get lots of fires blowing up locally before then, it could be ugly longer.

Going to be an apocalyptic weekend. Be careful and stay safe.

All up and down the west coast. Here in the Seattle area, we've "dodged the bullet" all summer with wildfires and smoke...until today. Air quality is going to "hellish" overnight along with strong, gusty easterly winds, red flag warnings all over the (formerly spared) west side of the Cascades. To the south and east, I know it's worse. Gonna be nasty here for at least the next couple of days. The winds should shift to offshore on Monday and we'll get some relief from the smoke and ash, but if we get lots of fires blowing up locally before then, it could be ugly longer.

Going to be an apocalyptic weekend. Be careful and stay safe.
Hey Aerophile!
Fires have crossed the cascades in northern Lincoln County Oregon. Power in OTIS is shut. (Power was shut off by pacific power) I cannot confirm active fire in that area, however...
My recon has revealed breakouts east of Seal Rock - north east of Waldport.
Skies were red before sundown - 80F+ on the central Oregon Coast now. 20:45.
Air quality is less than optimal.
Standing by. Fly till it melts!
BE SAFE

Last edited:
Hey Aerophile!
Fires have crossed the cascades in northern Lincoln County Oregon. Power in OTIS is shut. (Power was shut off by pacific power) I cannot confirm active fire in that area, however...
My recon has revealed breakouts east of Seal Rock - north east of Waldport.
Skies were red before sundown - 80F+ on the central Oregon Coast now. 20:45.
Air quality is less than optimal.
Standing by. Fly till it melts!
BE SAFE
Seen similar here.
Sorry about the Trailer park boys theme song. My buddies said it would fit lol

• Sad
See if you can get access to compressed air (pressure packs or compressor). You my need it to clean all the ash etc out of the motors etc.
Extra props?
One of main issues we have found is that wind speed often precludes a launching unless you alert somebody 20 km away who can grab it as it blows past 🤣
Great kit in right place at right time and in right hands. Good luck @Rip.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803