DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Emergency motor shutdown by accident?

Facious

Reactions
There's one thing that scares me when I'm flying my Mavic 2 Pro...
What if I move both sticks to the position that lauches the mid-flight motor shutdown, by accident, doing normal flying manoeuvres?

Does the controller give any warning before that happens?
How long do you need to hold the sticks in this position to stop the motors?

It doesn't apper the is any warning in Mavic 1 - I've seen a video of someone shut motors down mid-air intentionally and restated them before crashing.

Can you disable this function permanently in Mavic 2?

Dont disable it- there are situations where you may need it- such as during a auto RTH due to controller issues where the drone hovers beyond reach and wont auto land, or during an emergency where you have to use it as a last option override it to prevent it from hurting someone.

It would be hard to accidentally put your sticks in that position while doing normal flying maneuvers for the three seconds required to activate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Van Shteffy
I don't think you can disable CSC. You can only enable it to work any time rather than when flight controller detects a condition that could warrant CSC.

For most of us, the flight control that would come near CSC would be unlikely.
It would start with flying backwards full speed while descending full speed joined with rolling left full and yawing right full or vice versa.

What if I move both sticks to the position that lauches the mid-flight motor shutdown, by accident, doing normal flying manoeuvres?
You can't CSC by accident, doing normal flying.
To get your joysticks anywhere close to CSC is not at all normal.
Think about what you would be trying to do.
Your drone would be descending at full speed while spinning anti-clockwise while flying backwards and sideways at full speed.
Does that sound like a normal flying manoeuvre?
If you normally fly like that, you won't have the drone very long.

Someone made a point in a past thread that if they are flying backwards, then coordinated turns would have the yaw and bank in opposition. So even if very unusual and not something most of us would do, it is a plausible flight maneuver, particularly if you started really high up.

I don't I've ever heard of anyone accidental engaging CSC stop when engaging such a maneuver though.

Reactions: Papa72
There's one thing that scares me when I'm flying my Mavic 2 Pro...

Does the controller give any warning before that happens?
How long do you need to hold the sticks in this position to stop the motors?

It doesn't apper the is any warning in Mavic 1 - I've seen a video of someone shut motors down mid-air intentionally and restated them before crashing.

Can you disable this function permanently in Mavic 2?
CSC during flight is disabled by default. You have to intentionally turn this setting on so you can shut off the motors in flight, otherwise you cannot turn off the motors while in flight.

Unless you change the mode in the advanced tab of the main controller settings from “in case of emergency only” to “CSC Maneuver” it’s impossible to turn off the motors in flight. Fly in the simulator if you don’t believe me or want to test it. Doing a CSC in flight will cause you to fly is a downward spiral unless you intentionally set it to “CSC Maneuver.”

An emergency is, for example there is a motor obstruction detected. In almost all of these “emergencies” the rotorsturn off automatically anyway.

Even when you have this setting enabled to cut the motors in flight you have to hold it like that for a couple seconds and really do it with intention. The “verify time” to cut the motors in flight is longer than the verify time to start the motors.

In conclusion, you having nothing to worry about.

You can't CSC by accident, doing normal flying.
To get your joysticks anywhere close to CSC is not at all normal.
Think about what you would be trying to do.
I use my Mavic 2 Pro mainly as a flying photo camera, and when I'm framing the picture quite often I fly backwards with added roll at the same time. And that's where my concern is coming from, cuz on top of that I can be changing altitude, going up or down. And if I add a yaw there... Obviously unlikely that all the commands would be at 100% each, but not impossible especially in tripod mode...

It would be hard to accidentally put your sticks in that position while doing normal flying maneuvers for the three seconds required to activate it.
I didn't know how long the sticks need be held like that for, if it's 3 seconds and not just instantaneous then I'm less concerned now.

Btw. Why the forum adds a link to DJI Store onto every "Mavic 2 Pro" when I'm viewing it as not logged in? I thought it was not owned by DJI :p

Last edited:
I use my Mavic 2 Pro mainly as a flying photo camera, and when I'm framing the picture quite often I fly backwards with added roll at the same time. And that's where my concern is coming from, cuz on top of that I can be changing altitude, going up or down. And if I add a yaw there... Obviously unlikely that all the commands would be at 100% each, but not impossible especially in tripod mode...

I didn't know how long the sticks need be held like that for, if it's 3 seconds and not just instantaneous then I'm less concerned now.

Btw. Why the forum adds a link to DJI Store onto every "Mavic 2 Pro" when I'm viewing it as not logged in? I thought it was not owned by DJI :p
Unless you change your settings it doesn’t matter how long you hold it, it won’t cut the motors.

And like you said, you wouldn't be doing such a compound maneuver at 100%. That's a really complex maneuver. I'd add, not even in tripod mode would you be near 100%.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair