DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Emergency Motor Shutdown?

Nonprophet

Reactions
Brand new owner here. Was reading through the manual, and was fairly shocked to find out that if you moved the joysticks in a certain way while the mini is in flight, that it will shut down the motors causing the mini to crash!? Does this happen often by mistake? If you send that command by mistake, is there a "confirm motor shutdown" pop-up on the screen, or does the mini just drop from the sky?? While I certainly understand why this emergency safeguard would be available, it seems like: 1. It should be stated clearly that this could happen without being buried in the manual, and 2. that there would be a confirm command feature for something so catastrophic....

Last edited:
With the springs pulling the joysticks towards the center, it’s rather difficult to push the sticks into extreme positions. Neven seen any danger here. Happy flying, mini is great and really predictable when compared to other drones of his class.

1. You have to hold the sticks in the shut down position for a few seconds before anything happens.
  2. The stick combinations are not what you would normally hold while flying.
  3. I do not recall a post where someone crashed due to this. Not saying it hasn't happened, just do not recall reading about it.

Reactions: Nonprophet
You can disable this in the Fly app if you're worried about it - go to Settings->Safety->Advanced Settings->Emergency Propeller Stop and set it to Emergency Stop Only. That will disable the stick gesture so you can't stop the motors in mid flight using the sticks (the firmware will still stop them in the event of a crash or other out-of-control situation). Page 32 in the manual

But, as others have said, I've never heard of anyone hitting this by accident.

I've never hit this by accident, though 2 drones too. I think it's good to have in case SHTF and you got to go down or hit an airplane. I have seen a video once where someone was able to restart and recover before impact.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I've never hit this by accident, though 2 drones too. I think it's good to have in case SHTF and you got to go down or hit an airplane. I have seen a video once where someone was able to restart and recover before impact.

Yes, that was a question/thought I had too--if you accidentally send the CSC to kill the motors, would you be able to re-start the motors before you crashed assuming a high enough altitude and quick enough response time? Anyone want to test this for me? ;) ;)

• Haha
Reactions: MAVE (Little bird)
Yes, that was a question/thought I had too--if you accidentally send the CSC to kill the motors, would you be able to re-start the motors before you crashed assuming a high enough altitude and quick enough response time? Anyone want to test this for me? ;) ;)
got to love youtube

Yes - you can kill them and then restart them in mid-air.

You'll find this functionality in many makes and models of drone. It's important to have in case you see the drone heading for a collision with something that it's be better not to have sharp plastic blades whizzing round at 15,000rpm or so.

1. You have to hold the sticks in the shut down position for a few seconds before anything happens.
  3. I do not recall a post where someone crashed due to this. Not saying it hasn't happened, just do not recall reading about it.
Actually I was hoping that would be the case indeed because that sound be logical. However, I was flying normally with normal use of the stick combination while all of the sudden my DJI Mini 2 fell out of the sky. The logs reveal that I had the stick combination CSC pressed for only 1,2seconds. DJI is not investigating this because I never wanted to active the emergency stop. I was just flying normal. (see video)

Attachments

• 1636155585086.png
    1636155585086.png
    144 KB · Views: 13
It happened to me yesterday with Mini 2.

Flying backward and down (quite common situation) and you are already in a red zone. To move sticks further toward middle is easy and will result in a crashed drone.

It is easy to make this combo happen during the flight, you need to change this option in menu, I didn’t, and I don’t have drone anymore.

As someone mentioned, this really should be bind to like home button + right stick down, or some other, hard to press by accident combo. And not buried somewhere in the middle of the manual but bolded in red letters on “flying your drone” page.

I simply could not belive you can shut off your drone during the flight just like that.

Yes, emergency shut down must be there, but user needs to able to control it, and I surely was not in control of my actions. Pulling both sticks down in certain position while looking above where your drone goes is easy. This drone could have landed somewhere else, and cause something way more serious. If I want to crash my drone due to certain reasons, I need to able to do that with 100% certainty and knowing what I am doing.

There is quite amount of people who crashed their drone cause of this, I can guess this number is way higher since many just don’t care and they don’t report it. Nothing you can do really, but you can warn others like this, at least to be careful.

Large user base is something every product need, their experience change how things works, but it takes time.

I am quite sure this combo will change over time, you just need enough "accidents" to make it happen.

Happy flying :)

Flying backward and down (quite common situation) and you are already in a red zone. To move sticks further toward middle is easy and will result in a crashed drone.

It is easy to make this combo happen during the flight,
The CSC joystick position isn't just slightly different from flying backwards and down.
It's descending at full speed, while flying backwards at full speed while also rotating the drone at full speed and flying left or right at full speed.
DJI chose that combination because it's something you'll never do in normal flying.
There is quite amount of people who crashed their drone cause of this, I can guess this number is way higher since many just don’t care and they don’t report it.
Reports of people accidentally doing this is are very, very rare.
I haven't seen any for a few years and less than five in 8 years.

The question is, will you be able to restart the motors on Mini 2, altitude permitting? From the video, it falls relatively flat. If it will start spinning along horizontal axis, it's over.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu