DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Erratic flight and gimbal behavior

Exception

Reactions
I am experiencing some abnormalities and am not sure what is going on. I have not been able to fly for a couple of months, but before I did for the first time since I made sure that all apps and firmware were updated. I also performed a compass calibration. The issue has happened in both DJI 4 GO 4 and Litchi. What happens is the video looks like the craft is falling out of the sky, the gimbal just goes limp and from the video feed looks like it is falling out of the sky. The craft itself seems to still be stable and responsive to remote control inputs. There does not appear to be any video recorded to the SD card in the craft whenever this happens during a flight. Not all flights do this. In today’s most recent episodes it happened on the first battery a couple of times the first flight. I brought it back, landed, and took off again and it happened again. Then I swapped batteries and flew for a short time and did not notice any issues.

Attached is the Litchi flight log (renamed .txt from .csv) from today as well as a link to video clip from a previous flight that was recorded on the phone.

Attachments

• 2017-06-29_10-53-15_v2.txt
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
I am experiencing some abnormalities and am not sure what is going on. I have not been able to fly for a couple of months, but before I did for the first time since I made sure that all apps and firmware were updated. I also performed a compass calibration. The issue has happened in both DJI 4 GO 4 and Litchi. What happens is the video looks like the craft is falling out of the sky, the gimbal just goes limp and from the video feed looks like it is falling out of the sky. The craft itself seems to still be stable and responsive to remote control inputs. There does not appear to be any video recorded to the SD card in the craft whenever this happens during a flight. Not all flights do this. In today’s most recent episodes it happened on the first battery a couple of times the first flight. I brought it back, landed, and took off again and it happened again. Then I swapped batteries and flew for a short time and did not notice any issues.

Attached is the Litchi flight log (renamed .txt from .csv) from today as well as a link to video clip from a previous flight that was recorded on the phone.

Mine does the same thing with DJI go app fully updated on iPhone with .900 bird. Happens randomly, not every flight.

Reactions: Exception
Had this happening several times in last two months. Supposedly for unknown reason gimbal restart itself. I did not find any remedy. Scared the **** out of me the first time it happened 5km away :)

Well I guess good that I'm not the only one. I was scared too the first time I saw it because I thought it was falling out of the sky. Does yours still do it?

Reactions: whichwayisup
Sounding like the beginning of the gimbal motor overload nightmare scenario
How integrated is the gambal in the overall function of the camera? Because I lose all function from the camera and it even stops the recording. In my head I am just thinking the gimbal control the position and steadiness of the camera, but I guess it is all tied together.

Yes it is still happening to me. Today after update I got something even worse happening to me: terrible drift/rotation while trying to stand steady for taking photos.

And yes, recording during "gimbal restart" also stops in my case.

Yup, happened to me with .800/.900. Went back to .700, all is fine. Glad it happened to me in the sense that I rolled back to the firmware that can be fully unlocked before DJI removed it.

Same issue for me. Has been happening last 6-8 flights, recording suddenly stops, screen goes black, comes back then irrational gimbal movement, appearance that craft is drifting, then resets gimbal to last position. It's scary, but annoying.

Mine is doing the same, recording stops as well. Not sure if I should try to return it and get another one or try to revert firmware (i had downloaded the VM with 700). Mine was built 3/17/17. I don't recall getting a gimbal overload or anything and nothing like that shows up on my flight record

From the comments it seems like it is a firmware issue. I'm hopeful for a fix from DJI.

Has anyone had previous work done on the gimbal? Such as replacement of the ribbon cable or video cable?

Has anyone had previous work done on the gimbal? Such as replacement of the ribbon cable or video cable?
Yes, i replaced my ribbon cable a few weeks ago. It failed for no reason. No crash or heavy landings, it was to the eye in perfect order.

I replaced mine myself I was very careful when I did it. I'm trying to remember if I had a few glitches before I replaced it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3