DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

[ERROR] Max Motor Speed Reached (DAT attached)

monxster

Reactions
Hi guys,

Yesterday I was flying my drone towards an inland cliff in somewhat windy conditions and I received a Max Motor Speed Reached Error a few times throughout the flight. I have read the forums and it seems this error is due to a faulty prop yet mine are stock and in perfect condition, with no bends, scratches, dents, etc. I have attached my DAT file in the hopes someone can let me know what could have happened?

Mavic Pro DAT

Thanks,
Monx

Hi guys,

Yesterday I was flying my drone towards an inland cliff in somewhat windy conditions and I received a Max Motor Speed Reached Error a few times throughout the flight. I have read the forums and it seems this error is due to a faulty prop yet mine are stock and in perfect condition, with no bends, scratches, dents, etc. I have attached my DAT file in the hopes someone can let me know what could have happened?

Mavic Pro DAT

Thanks,
Monx

I don’t need the dat cause I already know what’s happening but I can take a look at it tomorrow to confirm. It’s because you are using full throttle up on the left stick and full pitch forward on the right stick for too long in Sport mode.

Your batteries will thank you for either using full throttle up (only if that’s really necessary) OR full pitch forward but not simultaneously. Up and forward is a demanding maneuver because they are counter active. Full pitch forward means the motors are in the worst possible attitude position to increase the height of the aircraft because the motors are pointing 35 degrees to the ground instead of 90.

In DJI Go 4 you can turn the mini map into the attitude radar thingy and in sport mode it will show you a power gauge that shows how much of full power you are using. Try to avoid spending prolonged periods of time in the blue. The aircraft can handle it its just you are putting the batteries through the ringer.

I don’t need the dat cause I already know what’s happening but I can take a look at it tomorrow to confirm. It’s because you are using full throttle up on the left stick and full pitch forward on the right stick for too long in Sport mode.

Your batteries will thank you for either using full throttle up (only if that’s really necessary) OR full pitch forward but not simultaneously. Up and forward is a demanding maneuver because they are counter active. Full pitch forward means the motors are in the worst possible attitude position to increase the height of the aircraft because the motors are pointing 35 degrees to the ground instead of 90.

In DJI Go 4 you can turn the mini map into the attitude radar thingy and in sport mode it will show you a power gauge that shows how much of full power you are using. Try to avoid spending prolonged periods of time in the blue. The aircraft can handle it its just you are putting the batteries through the ringer.

It would be awesome if you could take a look mate! With regards to some of your suppositions, I did not fly in sport mode. I have yet to try that out as still trying to get myself fully acquainted with all the controls flying in P-Mode. I did however, operate the Mavic with both the throttle up and pitch forward at maximums at some points during the flight but I cannot recollect if when the errors occurred I was doing this. It would be great if you could confirm so I can avoid such incidents in future as I understand they could lead to either an unexpected landing or lost drone.

Cheers bud.

It would be awesome if you could take a look mate! With regards to some of your suppositions, I did not fly in sport mode. I have yet to try that out as still trying to get myself fully acquainted with all the controls flying in P-Mode. I did however, operate the Mavic with both the throttle up and pitch forward at maximums at some points during the flight but I cannot recollect if when the errors occurred I was doing this. It would be great if you could confirm so I can avoid such incidents in future as I understand they could lead to either an unexpected landing or lost drone.

Cheers bud.

I'll have to look at it further but what sticks out is your motor speeds. They are way high. I was correct in that you get the error when you full up both sticks but your motor speeds are elevated as soon as you take off. Are you using propeller cage or something? 69901
This light green is your back left motor which I am using because your other motors are similar and it just makes the graph clearer only having the one motor plotted. You are at 11,000 rpms in places which is higher than the tachometer on the remote will even read. In car terms you are past red lining. I start to get uncomfortable when my motor speeds reach 8,000.

The other important line is the dark green which is your current draw which is off the charts. I was just yesterday testing my bird's current draw and with high wind I didnt get over 15 amps ever you are at over 24 amps in places.

Before I spend more time looking at this what props are you using and do you have something attached to your drone? Your heading speed and pitch angle do not match your motor speed or wind compensation. There must be something that is physically preventing the amount of thrust needed at normal motor speeds to keep the drone afloat.

Reactions: Texas Mavic
I'll have to look at it further but what sticks out is your motor speeds. They are way high. I was correct in that you get the error when you full up both sticks but your motor speeds are elevated as soon as you take off. Are you using propeller cage or something? View attachment 69901
This light green is your back left motor which I am using because your other motors are similar and it just makes the graph clearer only having the one motor plotted. You are at 11,000 rpms in places which is higher than the tachometer on the remote will even read. In car terms you are past red lining. I start to get uncomfortable when my motor speeds reach 8,000.

The other important line is the dark green which is your current draw which is off the charts. I was just yesterday testing my bird's current draw and with high wind I didnt get over 15 amps ever you are at over 24 amps in places.

Before I spend more time looking at this what props are you using and do you have something attached to your drone? Your heading speed and pitch angle do not match your motor speed or wind compensation. There must be something that is physically preventing the amount of thrust needed at normal motor speeds to keep the drone afloat.

Thanks a ton for the help mate. In answer to your questions:

1. Props: I am using stock props with no modifications and no damage.
2. Cage or Guards: I am not using any cage or guards.
3. Attachments: I do not have any attachments on the drone at all.

Some info about where I am flying might help. I am travelling in Colombia and the place I was flying at is called Sutatausa which is a cliff ridge with a base altitude of 2,650 metres (8,964 feet) above sea level. I took off from this height and then ascended 450 metres (1,476 feet) to a total flight altitude of 3,100 metres (10,170 feet) above sea level. There were some medium gusts near the cliff face but no high wind warnings were received from the craft.

This is a brand new drone with only 5 hours of flight time logged.

Hope that helps!

Thanks a ton for the help mate. In answer to your questions:

1. Props: I am using stock props with no modifications and no damage.
2. Cage or Guards: I am not using any cage or guards.
3. Attachments: I do not have any attachments on the drone at all.

Some info about where I am flying might help. I am travelling in Colombia and the place I was flying at is called Sutatausa which is a cliff ridge with a base altitude of 2,650 metres (8,964 feet) above sea level. I took off from this height and then ascended 450 metres (1,476 feet) to a total flight altitude of 3,100 metres (10,170 feet) above sea level. There were some medium gusts near the cliff face but no high wind warnings were received from the craft.

This is a brand new drone with only 5 hours of flight time logged.

Hope that helps!

Hmm...When I was doing my current tests yesterday I was at about that elevation. I do have different props to account for the air density but I wouldn’t think it would make that much difference.

Maybe it would with the wind and aggressively pushing both sticks all the way up idk. I don’t even think I could get my Mavic Pro to output that high of motor speeds. Did it seem to be flying ok?

If you are at a high elevation I recommend getting either the Mavic Pro Platinum props or the Master Airscrew Stealth props. They both offer more lift per revolution so they don’t need to spin as fast to provide the same amount of thrust

Maybe it would with the wind and aggressively pushing both sticks all the way up idk. I don’t even think I could get my Mavic Pro to output that high of motor speeds. Did it seem to be flying ok?

If you are at a high elevation I recommend getting either the Mavic Pro Platinum props or the Master Airscrew Stealth props. They both offer more lift per revolution so they don’t need to spin as fast to provide the same amount of thrust

It was flying normally and responding to stick input fine. I will look into the props you mentioned thanks mate! I am going to fly again tomorrow at those altitudes but simply hover and will upload the dat file. I will also do another flight with less aggressive stick inputs and will also upload.

I am worried it might be a faulty drone? Hopefully a one off due to pilot error.

Cheers bud.

Hey bud.

Flew out over the weekend in somewhat less windy weather and did not receive that max motor speed reached error anymore. Also the prop revolutions all stayed relatively stable with an average of about ~7000rpm. However I did see some rpm and current spikes going pretty high. That being said if I am to understand that CsView's X-axis represents seconds then they lasted for a few milliseconds or a second at a time. Not sure if this is normal or OK. What do you reckon? Here are 2 screen grabs of two separate flights on the same day. In both cases the current spiked to quite high levels but the average for the flight was still about ~8.3 amps and same goes for rpm with around 7k being the average. I also noticed that out of the 3 flights one had particularly high ampere peaks and then I read that the batteries need to be updated via DJI assistant. So I placed them in the drone and did a firmware refresh for every battery. Not sure if this is necessary or will have any effect moving forward.

I had this issue when I flew with two multistar 3.0 lihvs and Mas props. I fixed the issue by bumping up my speeds in Assistant for P mode.

I had this issue when I flew with two multistar 3.0 lihvs and Mas props. I fixed the issue by bumping up my speeds in Assistant for P mode.

The thing is I am not using any props other than stock. Also how do you change things in Assistant? All the options I have are for seeing info, upgrading firmware, or downloading logs. That is about it.

The thing is I am not using any props other than stock. Also how do you change things in Assistant? All the options I have are for seeing info, upgrading firmware, or downloading logs. That is about it.
You have to download an older version of Assistant, then You can go into a certain file and alter it slightly main.js I believe it is. And you delete the “//“ that is before the word “main”. However you have to change and save it in Notepad++...Then you can go into what they call debug mode, and alter all kinds of parameters. Search debug mode and older version of Assistant on this forum. I’m off to bed, I’m happy to help tomorrow if you are still having trouble.

I don't see anything highly out of the ordinary other than those couple of spots for a very short period of time. If you look at all the motors are they doing the same thing?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7