DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EU Drone Operator Registration - Simple & Quick

MS Coast

That's MS as in Mississippi.
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I've just completed registration as a Class 1/3 UAS operator in Ireland, which is also accepted in all 27 European Union member countries. [Edit: Four non-EU countries also honor the EASA registration: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland and Norway.] You can register in any member country; I chose English-speaking Ireland. Registration is required for all drones weighing more than 250 grams or having a camera. The EU countries use a common set of regulations, though individual countries may add additional requirements.

The process was straightforward, the registration is good for five years, and the cost was $33. After setting up an account at the Irish Aviation Authority website, there was an online training film and a 40-question exam. If you have difficulty passing the exam, you really shouldn't be using a television remote control.

The Class 1/3 registration covers drones weighing less than 500 g and 25 kg, respectively, for recreational operations. (There's an exemption from the new class identification label requirements for drones weighing less than 500 g and built before 1/1/2023.)

This page describes the registration and testing process:

MySRS IAA User Portal - Use this to register.

Summary of EU UAS regulations:

Irish Aviation Authority UAS pages:

Last edited:
A 308 page PDF that's titled "Easy Access Rules for Unmanned Aircraft Systems"!?!?!

Glad to see the EASA has a sense of humor... 🙄

I've just completed registration as a Class 1/3 UAS operator in Ireland, which is also accepted in all 27 European Union member countries. [Edit: Four non-EU countries also honor the EASA registration: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland and Norway.] You can register in any member country; I chose English-speaking Ireland. Registration is required for all drones weighing more than 250 grams or having a camera. The EU countries use a common set of regulations, though individual countries may add additional requirements.

The process was straightforward, the registration is good for five years, and the cost was $33. After setting up an account at the Irish Aviation Authority website, there was an online training film and a 40-question exam. If you have difficulty passing the exam, you really shouldn't be using a television remote control.

The Class 1/3 registration covers drones weighing less than 500 g and 25 kg, respectively, for recreational operations. (There's an exemption from the new class identification label requirements for drones weighing less than 500 g and built before 1/1/2023.)

Great information, thank you!

Reactions: Hauptmann

Will you also get A2 certification? Otherwise, it seems you have to fly pretty far away from people and buildings??

Will you also get A2 certification? Otherwise, it seems you have to fly pretty far away from people and buildings??
Not right away. My intent is to use the Mini 2 which is below the 500 gm upper weight limit for A1 operation. In A1 there are no restrictions on operation near buildings and people other than not flying over assemblies of people and prolonged flight over people.

A2 also requires an additional examination.

I did mine on line at Liechtenstein, all in English and free of charge, cheers

Len, got a link handy for the Principality?
Sorry not at home to find it at moment, but I just googled EASA and found a list of countries that did the exam in English, wonder if that what’s it thing bottom right hand will take you there, cheers Len

Attachments

• 1A35063C-5993-45C3-BCA9-7919522B9777.jpeg
    1A35063C-5993-45C3-BCA9-7919522B9777.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
Great information, thank you!

Great information, really!

One question. How long does it take to receive the confirmation e-mail? I was assuming it would be immediately but after 30 minutes nothing (including junk mail) came. I even asked to send it again.

My ID check with the Irish operators took about 2 days. Then i could register and do the test.

Great information, really!

One question. How long does it take to receive the confirmation e-mail? I was assuming it would be immediately but after 30 minutes nothing (including junk mail) came. I even asked to send it again.
As I recall, it took a day for the confirmation to arrive.

I've been looking into this as I will be in Germany November.
I was reading the guidelines on the EASA website and it says this:
Start by identifying the type of drone you own. A transitional period applies until 31 December 2023. Until that date, you do not need a special drone to operate in the ‘open’ category provided it weighs less than 25 kg.
So If I go over there with my Air 2S and Mini 3 Pro will I need to take the online class and test still?
I was actually planning to only take the Mini 3 but if I can also fly the Air 2S that would be great.
It's kicking the can down the road but if I don't have to then why spend the money?

Yes, rules still apply. Even the Mini 3 you need to register and label.

Air2S can only operate in A3 (150m from people) unless you do a full A2CoC course, then its 50m.
You need to do the operator registration and fee regardless.

Yes, rules still apply. Even the Mini 3 you need to register and label.

Air2S can only operate in A3 (150m from people) unless you do a full A2CoC course, then its 50m.
You need to do the operator registration and fee regardless.
I'm enrolled in the EASA course to get the certificate.
According to them the Air 2S will be able to operate in A2/3 just having the certificate.
That will change after the transition period starting 2024.
So what fee are you referring to? My understanding is that the certificate is all I need to fly (and insurance of course).

EU registration has to be done in theory in the first country you fly it (or more realistically, one that has the test in English).

All the countries i can think of charge a registration fee before you get the ID to label the drone.

1664735304645.png

Can see from that the Air2s is capable of A3 flight. Its only capable of A2 *IF* the operator has completed and passed an A2CoC on top of the base requirements.
This typically costs 100 euro or so and often requires an in-person flight evaluation
Transitional just means it wont be A3 only until after the expiry date. You still need an A2CoC in the meantime.

Reactions: Hauptmann and CJG
EU registration has to be done in theory in the first country you fly it (or more realistically, one that has the test in English).

All the countries i can think of charge a registration fee before you get the ID to label the drone.

View attachment 155382

Can see from that the Air2s is capable of A3 flight. Its only capable of A2 *IF* the operator has completed and passed an A2CoC on top of the base requirements.
This typically costs 100 euro or so and often requires an in-person flight evaluation
Transitional just means it wont be A3 only until after the expiry date. You still need an A2CoC in the meantime.
The test I'm taking is for a certificate and it's free.
UAS Remote Pilot Open Category - A1+A3 [UAS-OPEN-A1+A3]
I have no need to fly A2 since i can use my Mini 3 Pro.
The Air 2S is more for wide open spaces anyway.
I get my EU compliant tags from Drohnen.de.
There is only a requirement for having tag that meets specs - no stipulation on government fees or anything.

You need to register yourself as the operator (not the drone) in the first EU country its flown in (or an English website one).

That incurs a fee, then you get the IDs required for labelling the device.

Further documentation:-

1664740694866.png

You need to register yourself as the operator (not the drone) in the first EU country its flown in (or an English website one).

That incurs a fee, then you get the IDs required for labelling the device.

Further documentation:-

View attachment 155400
Got it. So after I get the certificate I need to register with Germany, pay a fee and get my tag #.
That sum it up?

In theory first EU country it;ll be used. In reality, most dont have the tests or site in English so most people use Ireland, Cyprus or similar which do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake