DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ev constantly changing even in manual mode

weakmap

Reactions
hi,

With my mavic, I have a problem that is driving me mad!

I start the mavic, set the drone to video mode and manual settings, set the iso and shutter speed and then start filming. However, if I move the camera around, it constantly changing the ev. The image becomes darker and brighter every now and then.

I've search through all the settings, still I don't understand why this freaking thing don't just stop metering the brightness and trust me as a human that I know what I'm doing.

The ev as I understood can only be locked in automatic mode and even then the brightness is changing constantly.

What am I doing wrong here, please enlighten me.

This was brought up before, check your finger on your right hand, put some tape on the EV wheel, it's easy to bump it.

Dude.. I assume you are not joking right?

I'm not even touching the wheel on the right side. I know that it is sensitive..

This is not the problem..

This was brought up before, check your finger on your right hand, put some tape on the EV wheel, it's easy to bump it.
ude

hi,

With my mavic, I have a problem that is driving me mad!

I start the mavic, set the drone to video mode and manual settings, set the iso and shutter speed and then start filming. However, if I move the camera around, it constantly changing the ev. The image becomes darker and brighter every now and then.

I've search through all the settings, still I don't understand why this freaking thing don't just stop metering the brightness and trust me as a human that I know what I'm doing.

The ev as I understood can only be locked in automatic mode and even then the brightness is changing constantly.

What am I doing wrong here, please enlighten me.

If i read that correctly then surely its working exactly as it should. The EV readout simply tells you how over or under exposed an image is. In manual exposure the EV is going to change when you move the camera as angling the camera in different directions is going to change the brightness of the image. As exposure is locked its going to make an image brighter or darker depending where it is.

In manual mode it is trusting the human. Its not adjusting anything. You're adjusting it by pointing the camera at varying brightness scenes and not adjusting. Its simple telling you how much over or under the current scene is but it changes nothing.

Reactions: Kilrah
In my opinion, that is not true.

Here's an example. I set my panasonic gh5 to an iso / shutterspeed and move the camera around. It won't change the brightness. If I film a certain scene where my settings are good, it looks ok, but if I then point the camera to something else with different lighting situation, it will surely be over/underexposed. This is what I mean by the ezposure is not changing.

The mavic however is changing the exposure level in manual mode if I point the camera to a more darker place. But I don't want this to happen. I want it to stick to a level that I set. Nothing should happen automatically.

If i read that correctly then surely its working exactly as it should. The EV readout simply tells you how over or under exposed an image is. In manual exposure the EV is going to change when you move the camera as angling the camera in different directions is going to change the brightness of the image. As exposure is locked its going to make an image brighter or darker depending where it is.

In manual mode it is trusting the human. Its not adjusting anything. You're adjusting it by pointing the camera at varying brightness scenes and not adjusting. Its simple telling you how much over or under the current scene is but it changes nothing.

Nothing happens automatically on the mavic in manual mode (check its actually IN manual mode, physically read and verify the settings for iso and shutter on the screen to make sure they remain constant).

Set exposure for a scene say pointing at the ground. Now rotate the drone or camera to get more sky or sun in. The image will be much brighter, the EV bias will be showing a large positive value but the exposure will not have changed.

If you set a specific exposure setting and move the camera it WILL just the brightness of the scene unless you're indoors with accurately controlled, all round studio lighting.

Manual exposure on the mavic does what it says on the tin, it locks the exposure (iso and shutterspeed as aperture is fixed). Move the camera around those settings remain the same so the brightness of the scene will change as light varies and the EV readout will simply indicate how good/bad the current settings are.

Yep, just the indication telling you the scene brightness is changing, as expected if image contents change. Most cameras display exposure that way in manual mode...

There is a little lock symbol while in auto where you can lock in an exposure and nothing will change.

Reactions: trriley5
That doesn't apply to manual mode obviously since it's already locked by definition.

If you want the apparent exposure to remain the same as the camera moves you either have to set ev to automatic or you have to keep adjusting it. If you set it to manual it won’t adjust to changing light levels.

Here is my scenario.
Manual mode
Shutter 1/60
As I move drone my shutter speed is being adjusted by drone as the EV value changes.
I’m not changing anythingg

Here is my scenario.
Manual mode
Shutter 1/60
As I move drone my shutter speed is being adjusted by drone as the EV value changes.
If you are in manual mode, nothing is going to change or adjust as light levels change.
What makes you think the shutter speed is changing?

In my opinion, that is not true.

Here's an example. I set my panasonic gh5 to an iso / shutterspeed and move the camera around. It won't change the brightness. If I film a certain scene where my settings are good, it looks ok, but if I then point the camera to something else with different lighting situation, it will surely be over/underexposed. This is what I mean by the ezposure is not changing.

The mavic however is changing the exposure level in manual mode if I point the camera to a more darker place. But I don't want this to happen. I want it to stick to a level that I set. Nothing should happen automatically.
The Panasonic has another variable that it can change that the Mavic is missing. The aperture. The Panasonic is altering the aperture to control the brightness of the image.

Here is my scenario.
Manual mode
Shutter 1/60
Pretty sure that if you are in manual mode, shutter speed, iso and the ev value, are not changing. The brightness of the scene is changing as you move the camera around, this will affect the image brightness. A real camera has a variable aperture. The Mavic doesn’t. If you apply exposure compensation, +/-ev, something has to change, and that can only be iso or shutter speed.

I agree with Weakmap.
The same issue is happening to me.
The shutter speed is changing as the light changes in manual mode.

I will try to make a video.
Steve

The same issue is happening to me.
The shutter speed is changing as the light changes in manual mode.
If something is changing in response to changing light levels, you aren't in manual mode.
What makes you think the shutter speed is changing?

Reactions: JDawg
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98