DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Even NASA is getting in on the drone bashing!

I'm not getting the feeling NASA does not "like" drones. . .Just doing a study. To me the "odd thing" is why is NASA spending our $$ on a drone noise study. . . .

Reactions: dewster
Highly unlikely that is real news, considering the time Nasa has put into drones themselves.

Exploring Drone Aerodynamics with Computers
Media Invited to Demonstrations of NASA Drone Traffic Management
NASA Conducts ‘Out of Sight’ Drone Tests in Nevada
NASA Testing Technologies to Increase Drone Uses
Extreme Access Flyer to Take Planetary Exploration Airborne

Notice every single link I provided is from NASA directly. You can also see they seem to prefer modifying DJI drones to building their own at the moment.

And this was not a complete list. They have published a huge number of articles related to their work with drones.

And yet Endgadget and The Verge are the only two agencies running an article claiming drone noise annoys people. Didn't find that one on NASAs website.

Reactions: BigEegit
NASA spends money on lot of noise research. Recently supersonic boom reduction and engine shielding for example.
Thats what the "aeronautics" part of their name is for....

Its a real study with verifiable data. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean its fake.

Ask yourself what does engadget have to gain by publishing fake news. That's right, subscribers. Even if they're of the dim-witted sort. I can't speak about larger drones, but I can barely hear my Mavic when it's more than a hundred feet away. I actually find the buzzing soothing knowing my bird is back after another adventure.

NASA didnt mention the the study was conducted over Afghanistan tribal areas.
No cars for miles but an armada of US drones circling around and bombing the shOOt out of anything that moves.

ha ha...good point. I guess noise is relative. And if it's tied to something that's about to obliterate you, I guess you wouldn't be fond of it either.

Engadget was cool 10 years ago...nowadays it's anything to get a page view

Rather than proper tinfoil hat paranoia, why not read the actual study?

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20170005870.pdf

Tests conducted in San Diego, Virginia and "Oliver Farms" using 3 commercially available drone.

The methodology is thorough.

Why are people surprised an aeronautics research body is studying noise and noise abatement from aircraft ? Surely this is exactly what its SUPPOSED to be doing with its funding.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
I like drones, I use drones, I own a drone, .........................still doesn't change the fact that they do have an annoying sound to them. Thank god the Mavic doesn't record sound. One of my pet peeves is hearing drone videos on youtube with the sound AC audio on.

I don't see the problem here. I don't want drones flying over my house and annoying me while I'm trying to relax anymore than I want airplanes flying over my house. They keep flight paths away from houses to reduce noise pollution and it shouldn't be any different for commercial drones making deliveries. In fact it will be easier to implement minimum altitudes and recommended flight paths because we are starting from scratch.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair