DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Every Dolly Zoom is different...

I´ve been growing more fond of the "manual" dolly zoom, or reverse DZ, since I´ve found it to look cooler at least in some instances than the "Quickshot mode" auto DZ.

I´ve edited a short clip (bellow) with the two examples at the same spot to show the difference.

Check out my M2Z stuff on IG @offlimitsbr ;-)

I´ve been growing more fond of the "manual" dolly zoom, or reverse DZ, since I´ve found it to look cooler at least in some instances than the "Quickshot mode" auto DZ.

I´ve edited a short clip (bellow) with the two examples at the same spot to show the difference.

That looks great, it’s worth playing with the manual Dz and getting practice because you never know when that amazing shot might appear with no time to set up the so called “quick shot”.

Reactions: AlexSP
Interesting... Is this just a matter of coordination between the operation of the stick and the zoom wheel?

As a point of interest --Most video editing programs have the capability of reversing clips.. Here's a 15 second video I made using a Linux editor called Kdenlive (I uploaded it to DropBox this time instead of YouTube).

I did a regular dolly zoom and then added a reversed clip making an 'in and out' dolly zoom.. It's sped up x2 to make the motion more apparent. --> Dropbox - 2x-dolly-in-out.mp4

That looks great, it’s worth playing with the manual Dz and getting practice because you never know when that amazing shot might appear with no time to set up the so called “quick shot”.

Yeah I have that same opinion, can be much faster indeed!

Interesting... Is this just a matter of coordination between the operation of the stick and the zoom wheel?

As a point of interest --Most video editing programs have the capability of reversing clips.. Here's a 15 second video I made using a Linux editor called Kdenlive (I uploaded it to DropBox this time instead of YouTube).

I did a regular dolly zoom and then added a reversed clip making an 'in and out' dolly zoom.. It's sped up x2 to make the motion more apparent. --> Dropbox - 2x-dolly-in-out.mp4

I think there´s a difference in the background compression by moving backwards/zooming in VS. moving forward/zooming out. Not sure though, I´ve tried reversing both and they just look different, maybe the sky, maybe the starting distance from the object, dunno... I´m sure someone with more knowledge in photography / optics /cinematography can chime in.

Anyway, I´m all for experimenting and testing every possibility. I don´t like to be tied to existing features, it´s cool to mix and match and try new stuff using what´s at hand. So all the better if we can pull different tricks with the zoom, after all we have a moving camera and that in itself is a major bonus.

I´m glad we can have even more flexibility in post too, editing can be a godsend LOL.

Reactions: Gut Stuff
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair