DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Everyone should try flying indoors

coffee-king

Reactions
.....Just once, with prop guards.....So you can get a better feeling of exactly how your surroundings affect the way the drone flies.
You'll find your both blown away from and sucked towards walls, ceilings, doors, windows etc.
I think a lot more users would be a lot more cautious flying under bridges, through tunnels etc then with a lot less damage being caused if they gave this a go at some point.

I for one wont be flying indoors again even though no damage was caused.
Just my two cents.

Flying a Mavic indoors is not a good idea. Many Mavic owners have crashed when attempting to do so.

Flying a Mavic indoors is not a good idea. Many Mavic owners have crashed when attempting to do so.
Yep I learned this the hard way sadly, I, for some weird and wonderful reason decided a few weeks ago to fly my mavic indoors.

All was well, drone lifted off and hovered but started to go back. I brought it forward but all of a sudden started flying back. I panicked and the drone crashed into my tv.

Long story short, it crashed into my £2k TV and destroyed it. Didn't have prop guard so it punched a hole in my tv screen lol.
2 props broken and a £2k tv destroyed :(

Been an expensive lesson for me, could have claimed the tv on my home insurance but that would have sent my premiums through the roof come renewal time.

So after buying the same tv, it's been a very very expensive lesson.

So no I would never ever recommend flying your drone indoors.

Yep I learned this the hard way sadly, I, for some weird and wonderful reason decided a few weeks ago to fly my mavic indoors.

All was well, drone lifted off and hovered but started to go back. I brought it forward but all of a sudden started flying back. I panicked and the drone crashed into my tv.

Long story short, it crashed into my £2k TV and destroyed it. Didn't have prop guard so it punched a hole in my tv screen lol.
2 props broken and a £2k tv destroyed :(

Been an expensive lesson for me, could have claimed the tv on my home insurance but that would have sent my premiums through the roof come renewal time.

So after buying the same tv, it's been a very very expensive lesson.

So no I would never ever recommend flying your drone indoors.

Ouch that must have hurt your pocket and Mavic too! :eek:

Big lesson learnt, don't fly indoors without prop guards. Check. Even if it is windy outside, I'm guessing it was during the high wind's we had a couple of weeks back.

I lifted it off the living room floor for two seconds and started to see the drift and quickly set it back down, it feels a bit like flying my nano Hubsan drone.

Must get prop guards and test more.

@Yas786, thank you for sharing your story. Perhaps it'll help dissuade others from attempting this (even once).

(just) my take: never did, never will - more than 150 rock solid flights otherwise without any incident.

Reactions: royalhghnss
The top comment for that video on YouTube is "natural selection". That commenter nailed it...

I've flown my Inspire indoors several times (rather large space though), but since I can put it in ATTI mode and be sure it does what I tell it to it's not a problem at all. With the Mavic the problem is never knowing what mode you'll be randomly thrown in and when you're going to lose control overall.

The top comment for that video on YouTube is "natural selection". That commenter nailed it...
Epic!

Last edited:
I flew inside the first day I had mavic, and crashed. Total pilot error as I failed to understand how rth functioned. Everything was great until I reached up to grab mavic and it used collision avoidance to quickly avoid my hand and crashed tragically into a firetruck.

Since then, I've flown inside many times without issue. I don't yet have prop guards but would highly recommend for indoor flight.

Here's my crash: it's a good thing djigo4 didn't record audio back when this occurred, language was definitely nsfw

I would agree with some of the comments above that flying indoors is a really bad idea particularly when there's no selectable ATTI mode which can cause unpredictable behaviour and it's still very easy to damage the Mavic even with prop guards on.

John

Time for this again! :D

My favorite toy "fly like the Mavic" drone is the Parrot Mambo. Has VPS, ultrasonic altitude near the ground (<20-30ft), barometer altimeter, and flies just like the Mavic, with braking and everything. Feels like flying the Mavic. The VPS is much more sensitive in low light than the Mavic. Outdoors it's a gas too -- holds position pretty well even in gusty wind, and kicks *** -- pretty fast! One neat thing is you can set it to automatically bank turns.

Then there's pea-shooter cannon and grabber attachments, which can be fun with the dogs :)

You can get a refurb direct from Parrot for about $60. Does not come with an RC (controlled from phone app), so you'll want to drop another $40 or so on a Flypad RC, well worth the money.

g333MAMBO-F.jpg

I flew indoors once and that was enough. Flight lasted all of 2 seconds. (Literally) Started it up, lifted off drifted to the wall, flipped onto its side (still running with propellers scrubbing the wall like a concrete finisher) and then it fell to the floor. I swear my heart skipped a beat. Last time I will ever try that.

But you are right, most people who have not experienced it don't know what will happen when you fly close to buildings or under bridges. First bridge I flew under and updraft almost ended my flying days. Even in my back yard there are different wind currents near trees that will cause some erratic flying.

Time for this again! :D

My favorite toy "fly like the Mavic" drone is the Parrot Mambo. Has VPS, ultrasonic altitude near the ground (<20-30ft), barometer altimeter, and flies just like the Mavic, with braking and everything. Feels like flying the Mavic. The VPS is much more sensitive in low light than the Mavic. Outdoors it's a gas too -- holds position pretty well even in gusty wind, and kicks *** -- pretty fast! One neat thing is you can set it to automatically bank turns.

Then there's pea-shooter cannon and grabber attachments, which can be fun with the dogs :)

You can get a refurb direct from Parrot for about $60. Does not come with an RC (controlled from phone app), so you'll want to drop another $40 or so on a Flypad RC, well worth the money.

g333MAMBO-F.jpg
I picked up an Airborne Night at Tesco on clearance months (and months) before my Mavic arrived. Great for learning the effect that prop wash and surroundings have on a drone. The Mavic stays outside, though I do fly in a local wood. I prefer intricate flying to open spaces. One crash when I missed seeing some old leafless ivy stem. Just a couple of damaged props that were easily changed. I went back and got the footage I wanted later.

Any of parrot mini drones are good for flying indoors. Able to fly on raining days when I want to fly the mavic but can't

Yep I flew a couple times indoors, an empty mechanic shop, 4 pits, and a 50 ft ceiling. I had a tarp laying on the filthy concrete floor, and the Mavic rolled it up and pushed it almost into a pit. Then it drifted around like a drunk hummingbird having no GPS. The second time I did it to test ATTI flight, of course it got a GPS lock so I couldn't.

Reactions: FlybyWyre
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost