DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Everything you may want to know about Mavic Mini

Mike0909

Reactions
DJI just released the smallest and cutest drone ever. It’s only the size of a palm and be easily folded into a bag just like its older Mavic siblings.
Most important of all, it weighs in at just 249g, thus it doesn’t require any FAA registration. That is to say, it’s about as heavy as a mobile phone.
I've summerized all the pros and cons of this drone.
First of all, following are the specifications of the DJI Mavic Mini:

1572492612080.png

Pros:
  • No need for FAA registration
I have to say that DJI product team is so smart. According to FAA regulation, drones 249g or heavier will require FAA registration. And they made a drone just as heavy as 249g. Having to register with FAA is a big concern for some people, as it basically means you have to say goodbye to your personal data and privacy.
  • Flight time
The maximum flight time of Mavic Mini is up to 30 mins. This is quite impressive for a drone of this small size. Even the all-star product of DJI — Mavic 2 Pro can only fly up to 27 mins.
  • Light and Foldable
It only weighs 249gram and it’s almost the same size of your palm. If you are a fan or a frequent buyer of DJI drones, then you’ll find that this is the lightest DJI drone ever. Even Spark is 50g heavier than Mavic Mini.

1572492751271.png
  • Price
The price of Mavic Mini is $399, the same price as DJI Spark. However, Spark is being discontinued somehow, making Mavic Mini the cheapest mini drone of DJI.

1572492791392.png

Cons:
  • Lack of sensing system
It only has a downward sensing system, which means it doesn’t have any forward or backward sensors. This will increase the risk of crash. However, as it’ll support a prop guard and this shall make it safer to fly with.
  • Not like any other Mavic models that can shoot 4k videos, mavic mini can only shoot 2.7k. And it cannot shoot in any DNG or Raw formart. DJI downgraded its camera performance of Mavic Mini, on one hand, DJI probably aims to lower the cost, on the other hand, this will stop mavic mini from cutting into the sales of its existing mini drones like Mavic air.

In a nutshell, it’s quite obvious that the Mavic Mini is meant for entry-level users. DJI released it with a purpose of expanding its user base. However, I still think it’s a decent product with such long flight time and low cost. Though this is not a product for me, It’ll still be a good choice for people who wants to start this hobby.

Attachments

• 1572492725958.png
    1572492725958.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 39
Thanks for posting that info Mike. Sure lots of members will find it helpful. Thumbswayup
:)

A Nice Beginner Drone.

Reactions: Mavic 57
Surely drone + prop guards = FAA registration. You might as well go ahead and register the thing anyway.

I already ordered because I travel a lot with dive and underwater gear. The size and weight make this something I can bring in my carry-on. Yes, all no-fly zones apply on the App according to many reviews.

yeah its kind of deal breaker ... i don't understand why didn't they put this feature ... may be update can bring this feature ...
Agreed, i am now looki
yeah its kind of deal breaker ... i don't understand why didn't they put this feature ... may be update can bring this feature ...
[/QUOTE

Yeah, most likely a deal breaker for me as well... that was my sole interest in a quad this size. Will be again looking at the Skydio 2, i was impressed with their follow function.

Frankly if you need tracking all the DJIs are a "joke" compared to what the Skydio 2 offers, so no regrets there...apart from the price maybe ;-)

Frankly if you need tracking all the DJIs are a "joke" compared to what the Skydio 2 offers, so no regrets there...apart from the price maybe ;-)
Yeah the Skydio rep/tech at the sho said they have put significant time into the tracking software

And much less than the Mavic 2, the most advanced "tracking" drone by DJI at this time ;-)

so, what i want to know - what sensors this model actually has? did they put a single lidar in its belly or did they use 2 cameras? no one did a breakdown video of it yet?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erroos