DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Example of combining Pro 2 Enterprise + Pix4D for SAR Work

cory_foy

Reactions
I have both a Mavic Mini and a Mavic Pro 2 Enterprise Dual that I use for Public Safety work. I thought I'd show a neat example of how we might use it with software like Pix4D to identify potential clues in a Search and Rescue operation and then validate - without having to send crews in.

Last weekend I did a mapping run along a large river using the Smart Controller and the DJI Pilot app. It generated around 1,350 images which I then imported into Pix4d and did a rapid 3D Mapping run.

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 9.04.42 PM.png

It generated both a topical and Mosaic view which I was able to then examine closely. I got to one end of the river and came across something that stood out:

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 9.54.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 9.54.38 PM.png

From that shot it looks like it might be a container, but also might be a person. Obviously if I was still there I would have just picked up the geo coordinates and flown back out with FLIR, but instead I zoomed in to the point map:

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 9.57.02 PM.png

And then was able to find the source images which showed...

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 9.55.02 PM.png

...a bucket. Glad I didn't have to send a boat team out to that! :)

Anyway, thought you all might like to see some use of combining all of these and how it might work together.

(For those curious - the full run was about 2,500 feet out and 1,000 feet across, and I maintained unassisted VLOS the entire time by using a central bridge as the staging area. It took about 75 minutes for the run at around 160 feet, and I swapped three batteries during the run)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada