DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Example of stupidity

Thomas Fields

Reactions
OK, now a drone story to illustrate my stupidity: A couple of weeks ago I was flying my Mavic with a couple of drone buddies. I looked down at my controller for a few seconds. When I looked up my drone was descending and flying backwards. I pushed the control sticks multiple times to stop it's motion, but the Mavic didn't respond to any of my controls. Just before reaching a state of panic, I realized (you guessed it) I was looking at the wrong drone. Because of all my stick movements, I couldn't find my own drone. I didn't want to use the "Return to Home" function because it might have ascended into a tree or power line. Fortunately, I was able to use the map and positioning function on the controller to safely bring my little bird home.

I wouldn't say it's stupidity, seems like an honest mistake. The important thing is that you learned from it and figured out how to correct the issue. I would recommend wrapping your drone with a unique colored skin.
Thanks. I might try that. Also, since the other guys have Mavic Pro Platinum drones and I'm flying either my Mavic 2 Pro or Mavic 2 Zoom, I'll turn on the bottom light. We all have strobes, but they don't have the landing light.

This is one reason I almost never look at my drone once it takes off, and all looks well. Or I'm landing. Everything I need is on the screen and controler. I could fly fine if it's 100 ft or 100 miles.
Visual Line Of Sight
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

(1) Know the unmanned aircraft’s location;

(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft’s attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;

(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and

(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

I fully understand the VLOS requirement and really try to abide by it. But all it takes for me to lose sight of the drone sometimes is a momentary glancing down at the controller.

The telemetry info is super important and the notifications that pop up are so easily missed if we don't keep one eye on the bird and one eye on the controller. Absent a HUD we have to keep shifting our gaze back and forth.

I hope that someday the technology will allow for true BVLOS for these consumer drones.

I fully understand the VLOS requirement and really try to abide by it. But all it takes for me to lose sight of the drone sometimes is a momentary glancing down at the controller.

The telemetry info is super important and the notifications that pop up are so easily missed if we don't keep one eye on the bird and one eye on the controller. Absent a HUD we have to keep shifting our gaze back and forth.

I hope that someday the technology will allow for true BVLOS for these consumer drones.

You can already fly them very effectively BVLOS - it just requires FAA authorization/waiver.

You can already fly them very effectively BVLOS - it just requires FAA authorization/waiver.
Yes, but I understand that it is next to impossible to get. Have you had success doing so?

Yes, but I understand that it is next to impossible to get. Have you had success doing so?

Yes - I've flown BVLOS under FAA authorization. Realistically it's only available under the SGI waiver process, and comes with your own TFR to deconflict with other traffic. Easy to set up though with a simple email and phone call to the FAA, as long as you have the right credentials. But my point was that the technology already exists - it's just the administrative and tracking framework (RemoteID) that is missing.

I wouldn't say it's stupidity, seems like an honest mistake. The important thing is that you learned from it and figured out how to correct the issue. I would recommend wrapping your drone with a unique colored skin.
I was in the situation last fall where I looked at my SC, looked back up, and I couldn't find it. Rather than panic, I let go of the sticks so it would hover and then used the SC display to find it, reorient myself and all ended well.

The key in my case was letting my M2P hover until I could plan my course of action.

Ever considered buying the Epson Moverio BT-300 HUD glasses? No need to keep glancing up & down at your RC/ phone/tablet screen, thus risking losing sight of your bird as the telemetry and image is right there in front of your eyes and you can look either through the glasses or over or under the glasses frame to keep VLOS. That's exactly why I invested in a pair. Only downside is if one flies the bird so far away BVLOS that you can't see something as small as a Mavic in any case, but it's nice to experience a cockpit view helping one to orientate oneself as to where the drone is in relation to the nearby landscape. Did this numerous times last year while flying from the jetty of an eco-resort on the coast of New Guinea many, many miles away from any airport, so didn't have the palaver of getting authorisation but did have permission from the resort's owner to fly since his private helicopter was grounded undergoing repairs when I was flying! Far better than using the all enclosing DJI goggles, no need for a spotter and since one can keep spacial awareness around you it helped me by being able to avoid falling from the 2 metre wide jetty into the drink, which would've surprised several reef sharks swimming nearby underneath the jetty!

Last edited:
Ever considered buying the Epson Moverio BT-300 HUD glasses?

I second that thought since I’ve been enjoying my Moverio glasses for a few weeks now. I’ve been posting so many Moverio-related questions lately, that I didn’t want to post first...looking like I work for Epson or something. :cool:

Clear VLOS eyes, full heart.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Another good idea is to have a co-pilot with you at all times to help with different situation that come up;
Its like driving a car, if you take your eyes off the road it only takes a split second to cause a accident.

OK, now a drone story to illustrate my stupidity: A couple of weeks ago I was flying my Mavic with a couple of drone buddies. I looked down at my controller for a few seconds. When I looked up my drone was descending and flying backwards. I pushed the control sticks multiple times to stop it's motion, but the Mavic didn't respond to any of my controls. Just before reaching a state of panic, I realized (you guessed it) I was looking at the wrong drone. Because of all my stick movements, I couldn't find my own drone. I didn't want to use the "Return to Home" function because it might have ascended into a tree or power line. Fortunately, I was able to use the map and positioning function on the controller to safely bring my little bird home.
Used to happen to me often until I put a flame thrower on it. Now it's easy to see! Doesn't everyone have one by now?

1585418202708.png

Just wondering how would this relate to LOS? I actually like seeing my drone and the space it's in to monitor other hazards like drones, birds, or helicopters. After getting familiar with your controller and monitor a quick glance should help locate your drone visually. A strobe also helps

Last edited:
Just wondering how would this relate to LOS? I actually like seeing my drone and the space it's in to monitor other hazards like drones, birds, or helicopters. After getting familiar with your controller and monitor a quick glance should help locate your drone visually. A strobe also helps
What would "relate to LOS"?

I have glanced down at my SC when the AC is within LOS, and when I looked back to the AC, darned if it used its invisibility cloak! For me I can lose the AC visually when glancing away, especially if its backdrop is a forest or similar camouflage distractions.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada