DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Excellent flying in cold weather

tangy07

Reactions
just flew the mavic air in -10c with wind-chill about -18c and the mavic air flew excellent. the only problem i had was the video i took was overexposure since it was super sunny today. my hands were too cold to adjust the setting. will keep practicing, this was my first real flight.

Glad you had a successful flight. Wind chills actually do not affect non-living objects, It's a common misconception as it will not reduce the object's (drone) temperature below the ambient. Wind can reduce the amount of time it takes for the object to get to ambient temperature, but it will not drop below that. Our bodies on the other hand are a different story! I do lots of photography in cold weather and my fingers are always the first thing to fail.

Biggest thing in cold weather is just to watch your batteries, and keep them nice and warm before the flight.

I brought my Mavic Air to Svalbard (78 degrees north) last February and it performed like a champ. I was the only one whining, I made the mistake of conteolling it one day with my mittens off! Ouch! Wool liners proved ideal for me, kept enough cold away yet I maintained the tactile feel of the controller and drone.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett