DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Experiment: Battery Drain in Flight

RayOZ

Reactions
I wanted to perform an experiment to see the rate of battery drain during flight. Obviously, I need a consistent flight profile. No user input required when experiment is started.
So, I decided to use Point of Interest mode, and let my Mavic fly in circles. Then use the flight logs to plot some trends. The flight path are 8+ perfect circles (1km circumference). Set speed was 36kph, but it was quite windy, so flight speed varied a bit (a still day would've been ideal). Basically, battery % and voltage drop is pretty much linear, between 100% and 30%. I didn't want to try 100% to 0%, cos I didn't want to reduce the battery life/health. Maybe there's a sharp drop between 10% and 0% if someone is keen to test.
I couldn't attach an excel here, so here are some pics.
Experiment Summary.png Experiment Trend.png Experiment Map.png
Battery in %, 0 decimal, so I interpolated the % between integers.
I guess the setup can be used to test efficiency for speed (10kph, 20kph, 30kph, etc), prop comparison (standard, low noise, carbon fiber, etc)

Thank you for the experiment. Was this an MP? How old and how many cycles does the battery have?

Your experiment shows that the battery drains from 100% to 30% at a rate of 3.5% per minute average, and it's great that it's so linear, due to the internal circuitry. In essence, you should be able to get 20 minutes out of a fully charged battery and land at 30% reserve.

Last edited:
This is MP (White). The battery is new (came with replaced MP last month). Only 7 times charged. Manufacture date is 25 Oct 2017, though.
Perhaps it might be a good experiment to repeat with the same battery after 50 charge cycles.

This is MP (White). The battery is new (came with replaced MP last month). Only 7 times charged. Manufacture date is 25 Oct 2017, though.
Perhaps it might be a good experiment to repeat with the same battery after 50 charge cycles.
This is great data thanks for taking the time to post!

Finally, weather has eased up and I managed to get a bit of time to do a bit more test.
Efficiency Test Summary.png
So, it seems that for max flight time, stick with P-mode with OA on. For max distance, it seems to be a toss between OA on/off.
Sport mode is only if you want to go fast, but very short flight times. Might as well get a racing drone if you want to go fast.

The strangest thing is that, for every test, across multiple batteries and test scenarios, I get this same dip in battery % around the 82% mark, and some at 74% mark. Very curious why the on-board calculation does that.
Graph 1.pngGraph 2.pngGraph 3.pngGraph 4.pngGraph 5.pngGraph 6.pngGraph 7.png

Finally, weather has eased up and I managed to get a bit of time to do a bit more test.
View attachment 35690
So, it seems that for max flight time, stick with P-mode with OA on. For max distance, it seems to be a toss between OA on/off.
Sport mode is only if you want to go fast, but very short flight times. Might as well get a racing drone if you want to go fast.

The strangest thing is that, for every test, across multiple batteries and test scenarios, I get this same dip in battery % around the 82% mark, and some at 74% mark. Very curious why the on-board calculation does that.
View attachment 35691View attachment 35692View attachment 35693View attachment 35694View attachment 35695View attachment 35696View attachment 35697

Thank you for these quality charts :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143