DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Experimental Aircraft Association Opposes FAA's NPRM

Rangerider

Reactions
Good news! The EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) has come out against the proposed Draconian RID NPRM and is publishing a 'full package' in opposition to it! This is a large and well organized group that is well respected and has been around for some time so their opposition will have an impact on the FAA's thinking on this. The EAA is primarily concerned about the negative impact the NPRM would have on the modeling community but it equally applies to UAS as well. We should be glad to see the weight of the EAA on our side on this issue opposing the Draconian FAA NPRM on RID.

To quote the EAA: " ... we are concerned that regulatory overreach in the modeling world could easily set a precedent for future action against general aviation, such as an equipment mandate for the benefit of commercial UAS integration into the airspace." Bingo EAA.
"Under “limited remote ID,” in circumstances where a model is not flown at an approved FRIA or is not compliant with the amateur-built carve-out and lacks onboard reporting equipment, a geofencing system is required. These are difficult to engineer and would severely hamper operations away from FRIAs or the use of prebuilt commercial models. " Bingo again!

The EAA's article on this along with it's preliminary list of objections to the NPRM is available here: Proposed Remote ID Rule Contains Concerning Requirements | EAA
It is worth reading. Keep the sky open!
(Edited by moderator - DM)

Last edited:
My God, I fly an experimental aircraft which is now required to have at least ADSB-out (RID equivalent?) to fly in certain controlled airspace which is not even close to the draconian restrictions proposed by the FAA for UAV's! This is outrageous. It would seem to me that my much larger experimental manned aircraft would present a much larger potential danger to airspace users than drones flying below 400 ft. I can currently takeoff, fly around over vast stretches of land outside of the restricted airspace (mostly large airports) and return to land all without an internet connection or ADSB(RID equiv)! The FAA wants me to believe that my little bitty drone is a bigger threat to the country? Right. Here is a list of currently restricted airspace which requires manned aircraft to have ADSB out: Airspace
It does not seem reasonably justifiable that drones should have a greater restriction!

If you would like to see a map of ADSB required airspace using Google Earth, go to this FAA link: https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/research/airspace/media/2020ADS-BAirspaceMap.kmz Download this file to your Google Earth app. Once downloaded and opened within Google EArth, scroll down to the new folder and open the ADSB vs Radar coverage and Legend to view the colored airspace which has ADSB restrictions. You will then be able to graphically see where much larger and faster manned aircraft currently must have ADSB on board within restricted airspace. You will then also realize how draconian the proposed restrictions on SUAV's is. You have to ask yourself a question, is the FAA's NPRM on RID reasonable or simply an attack on the recreational drone community?

If you need a little more explanation from the FAA on this link go to Airspace and scroll down to
Interactive ADS-B Airspace Map . That should explain it.

Last edited:
Reactions: GregE
Good news! The EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) has come out against the proposed Draconian RID NPRM and is publishing a 'full package' in opposition to it! This is a large and well organized group that is well respected and has been around for some time so their opposition will have an impact on the FAA's thinking on this. The EAA is primarily concerned about the negative impact the NPRM would have on the modeling community but it equally applies to UAS as well. We should be glad to see the weight of the EAA on our side on this issue opposing the Draconian FAA NPRM on RID.

To quote the EAA: " ... we are concerned that regulatory overreach in the modeling world could easily set a precedent for future action against general aviation, such as an equipment mandate for the benefit of commercial UAS integration into the airspace." Bingo EAA.
"Under “limited remote ID,” in circumstances where a model is not flown at an approved FRIA or is not compliant with the amateur-built carve-out and lacks onboard reporting equipment, a geofencing system is required. These are difficult to engineer and would severely hamper operations away from FRIAs or the use of prebuilt commercial models. " Bingo again!

The EAA's article on this along with it's preliminary list of objections to the NPRM is available here: Proposed Remote ID Rule Contains Concerning Requirements | EAA
It is worth reading. Keep the sky open!
(Edited by moderator - DM)
We couldn't be any luckier than to have a Big Voice like the EAA to respond to the NPRM. AH YES, there is a DRONE GOD.

Reactions: Rangerider
We couldn't be any luckier than to have a Big Voice like the EAA to respond to the NPRM. AH YES, there is a DRONE GOD.
I agree that the EAA is a strong ally in this battle. I also think it is time to form a national Drone Pilot's Association, DPA for short. We are up against the powers that be like the FAA, ALPA, numerous corporate drone companies, some law enforcement agencies, etc. The only way to defend our interests is to form a group of recreational and commercial drone pilots into one large organized group. I would suggest dues of $2/year with only a web site and officers which would form the group and possibly have an annual meeting and elect following year's officers. If the members are half of the total drone owners in the country, then it could have an impact. I suggest a 501 corp with tax exempt status for an educational organization. We will need large numbers to succeed.

Certain entities on the forum keep touting that most DJI drones will qualify for Limited RID if not Standard RID, but if you read the NPRM you will find that qualifying equipment requires labeling from the manufacturer that specifies that. None of DJI’s present products fill that bill. This is one of the objections of the EAA to the NPRM. The comment period needs to be lengthened.

Last edited:
I agree that the EAA is a strong ally in this battle. I also think it is time to form a national Drone Pilot's Association, DPA for short. We are up against the powers that be like the FAA, ALPA, numerous corporate drone companies, some law enforcement agencies, etc. The only way to defend our interests is to form a group of recreational and commercial drone pilots into one large organized group. I would suggest dues of $2/year with only a web site and officers which would form the group and possibly have an annual meeting and elect following year's officers. If the members are half of the total drone owners in the country, then it could have an impact. I suggest a 501 corp with tax exempt status for an educational organization. We will need large numbers to succeed.

Certain entities on the forum keep touting that most DJI drones will qualify for Limited RID if not Standard RID, but if you read the NPRM you will find that qualifying equipment requires labeling from the manufacturer that specifies that. None of DJI’s present products fill that bill. This is one of the objections of the EAA to the NPRM. The comment period needs to be lengthened.

Sounds great, let me know where to sign up. It would be a project to setup, but very needed for sure.

Reactions: Gindra
Looks like you were quoted by the EAA! Good job. The EAA is receiving overwhelming support for their opposition to the draconian NPRM from their members!!
"January 23, 2020 - EAA’s stance on the FAA’s proposed rule on Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems, and the potential negative effect on both manned and unmanned aviation, has quickly gained significant support throughout the flying community. " Positive Response to EAA Stance on Remote ID NPRM | EAA

No surprise to most that the
FAA Denies Comment Period Extension for Remote ID Rule
to most I would think. The FAA steamroller is not going to be stopped by the most controversial NPRM in EAA history! The FAA is on the warpath and it is all about National Security and you peons are not gonna stop the FAA steamroller! If anyone bothered to check statistics they would find that birds are a much larger threat to commercial traffic than drones but that doesn't matter to the FAA. Be sure to make your comment to the Feds before March 2 deadline on comments! Fight them with all you've got!

Reactions: Thomas B
No surprise to most that the
FAA Denies Comment Period Extension for Remote ID Rule
to most I would think. The FAA steamroller is not going to be stopped by the most controversial NPRM in EAA history! The FAA is on the warpath and it is all about National Security and you peons are not gonna stop the FAA steamroller! If anyone bothered to check statistics they would find that birds are a much larger threat to commercial traffic than drones but that doesn't matter to the FAA. Be sure to make your comment to the Feds before March 2 deadline on comments! Fight them with all you've got!
"Despite the lack of a comment period extension, EAA will soon submit thorough feedback regarding the NPRM and will provide members with talking points for creating their own comments as soon as possible."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27