DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Exposure setting ?

Fly4grub

Reactions
Correct me if I'm wrong...for videoing purposes one can only adjust EXP if filming in auto? In manual mode it is locked out so that ISO and Shutter speed are the only adjustable variables? Or am I missing something? Still learning so pardon the novice questions. Thanks

It's not locked out in manual, you're manually adjusting the settings that would otherwise be auto adjusted to achieve the exposure you want. The exposure adjustment in auto mode is to tell the camera to expose more or less than it would otherwise want to. This is most useful in very light and very dark scenes. Auto mode tends to under expose bright scenes and over expose dark scenes.

Reactions: wcsilva
ISO is locked on what you want it to be. the shutter speed changes when you adjust the exposure

Correct me if I'm wrong...for videoing purposes one can only adjust EXP if filming in auto? In manual mode it is locked out so that ISO and Shutter speed are the only adjustable variables? Or am I missing something? Still learning so pardon the novice questions. Thanks

Yes, you have two choices to adjust exposure in manual, ISO or shutter speed. Everyone bangs on and on about the holy grail of having the shutter speed at double your frame rate, but I find that, assuming you've got for an example an nd16 filter on, that having the shutter speed slightly more than double the frame rate gives great results. I keep my ISO at 100 in almost all cases. Ideal for me shooting in 30fps is shutter speed of c80 or even higher if required. That way you get the best of both worlds - a bit of motion blur, but no muddy textures.

Ok. That's what I thought. My issue was a bit of overexposure w ISO 100 shutter speed 60 ( 2x frame rate) and nd16.... so I guess my remedy would be to step up filter to nd32?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots