DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Extending Range (Crazy idea)

robpiggott

Reactions
Hi All,
I am fairly new to DJI Drones after using Parrot ones for the past few years, but hopefully now I moved to DJI I would be able to complete an idea I had a few months ago.
I want to extend the range of my drone, I want to ideally do this by putting antennas on my chimney and connecting them via cable into my drone controller. Has anyone does anything like this before or got any comments on it? Really dont know where to start!
Thanks
Rob

welcome to the forum
sorry but your idea would not be practicable,

Reactions: Gindra
Now that’s what I call thinking outside the box. I’m sure somebody has tried it before though.

Hi All,
I am fairly new to DJI Drones after using Parrot ones for the past few years, but hopefully now I moved to DJI I would be able to complete an idea I had a few months ago.
I want to extend the range of my drone, I want to ideally do this by putting antennas on my chimney and connecting them via cable into my drone controller. Has anyone does anything like this before or got any comments on it? Really dont know where to start!
Thanks
Rob
The chimney will help if you get line-of-sight from there compared to obstructions if you are at ground level. However, since we are obliged to keep it in sight, this won’t make a difference. You do need to keep in mind the losses from the cables too. Probably better if you put a lawn chair on the chimney and operate from there. :)

The chimney will help if you get line-of-sight from there compared to obstructions if you are at ground level. However, since we are obliged to keep it in sight, this won’t make a difference. You do need to keep in mind the losses from the cables too. Probably better if you put a lawn chair on the chimney and operate from there. :)
How long could the cable be max realistically?

Now that’s what I call thinking outside the box. I’m sure somebody has tried it before though.
I think they should create an add-on where the drone has some sort of 4g simcard built in so the drone and controller connect over the 4g network rather than directly

Reactions: OregonEd
IS there any reason why not? would it "technically" work?
firstly what would be the reason for doing it ,second you would lose most of the signal from the RC it would have to be amplified and for any chance of success you would need a lot of cable from the RC to the antennas on the roof ,and finally the whole idea of a drone is so you can go to different places and take pics and videos

How long could the cable be max realistically?
The lower loss cables are fat, about the size of your little finger, and the aim is to keep it as short as possible. You need to calculate the losses in the cable and compare it to the gains you get from the extra height. Amplifiers and directional antennas are out if you want to stay legal (mostly). And remember that the controller will probably need to be modified to take external antennas. All in all, better to take a bus to where you want to fly and fly from there. Nice idea, though.

Reactions: Gindra and umanbean
Assuming you could get the signal up there, the only benefit would be would be, perhaps, a better line of sight connection to the drone, less impacted by trees or other signal destroying obstacles. If you have a clear los on the ground, it won’t make any difference.

Agree ...and signal losses from the cabling/connectors would be substantial at the higher frequency

Hi All,
Thanks
Rob
If you could extend the range WHY? With a fully charged battery the maximum distance you can fly is 11 miles, remember you need to come home. The OcuSync 2.0 has a range of 4.9 miles.

Reactions: Camino Ken
If you could extend the range WHY? With a fully charged battery the maximum distance you can fly is 11 miles, remember you need to come home. The OcuSync 2.0 has a range of 4.9 miles.

Not necessarily. Could be a one way flight.

Hi All,
Thanks
Rob
Search over on PhantomPilots. Lots of old discussions there on how to fly from inside the house using roof mounted antennas. Also, some discussions using similar setups for flying from inside a car with antennas on the roof. Both are very doable with the right equipment. Step one is modding the RC to accept external antennas. Unless you plan to also fly with external batteries, you'll still have the same stock range away of up to 5 miles with clear LOS for an M2 round trip, regardless of antenna range, limited by the internal battery, unless you only want a one way flight. That should get you started!

Ok, so you fly to whatever distance you have chosen, good luck finding it when it lands
Just because you aren't returning to your Home Point doesn't mean you can't completely control exactly where you land. You still have full FPV view through the camera, and can land anywhere you want, including into the open hands of a receiver at the remote location!

Hi All,
Thanks
Rob
The latest DJI drones will outfly the battery life in distance using just the stock controller

I think they should create an add-on where the drone has some sort of 4g simcard built in so the drone and controller connect over the 4g network rather than directly
Ouch! Fly your drone at mobile phone rates per minute! Now there's an idea o_O ... In addition, there would be latency (time delay) which is never fun when you are trying to fly in real-time.

Reactions: umanbean
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura