DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

External Display on DJI RC Pro (USB-C)

calmar81

Reactions
Hi fellow Mavicpilots,

I bought a DELL C1422H usb-c powered 14" monitor ... mainly for the use as a second screen for my MacBook. But I thought I should try what else I could use it for. And see what happens, when I plug it in directly to the RC Pro via a USB-C 3.1 2nd gen cable:

IMG_5712.jpeg

The external screen just WORKS instantly! Without even having to give extra power to the screen via a powerbank, what is necessary for devices with less power on the USB-C port... or without having to use the HDMI-port of the RC Pro. I'm just speechless and thought I should share it with you guys. Of course, the RC battery will drain relatively fast, but you could use a powerbank for the screen as well.

Maybe somebody else was aware of that, tried it out or even posted it here... I'm sorry... but I'm just baffled by this easy solution for a second screen.

If this is posted elsewhere, please remove this topic ;-)

Have a nice weekend!

Last edited:
Hi fellow Mavicpilots,

I bought a DELL C1422H usb-c powered 14" monitor ... mainly for the use as a second screen for my MacBook. But I thought I should try what else I could use it for. And see what happens, when I plug it in directly to the RC Pro via a USB-C 3.1 2nd gen cable:

View attachment 159416

The external screen just WORKS instantly! Without even having to give extra power to the screen via a powerbank, what is necessary for devices with less power on the USB-C port... or without having to use the HDMI-port of the RC Pro. I'm just speechless and thought I should share it with you guys. Of course, the RC battery will drain relatively fast, but you could use a powerbank for the screen as well.

Maybe somebody else was aware of that, tried it out or even posted it here... I'm sorry... but I'm just baffled by this easy solution of a second screen.

Have a nice weekend!

Very cool!

The USB-C port also works to power Moverio BT-40 Smart Glasses, which are the only legal goggles for VLOS without a spotter, because you can also see through them, too!

Interesting! I wonder if there’s a way to do this with an Apple tablet?
Unfortunately, I don’t think that’s possible. As far as I know, iPads can only be used wirelessly as a „sidecar“ display with a Mac. The lighting / usb-c port of iPads are only output not input ports for video signals. Maybe with a jailbreak-iOS device… but that’s not my world.

Reactions: Spartan Drones
Hi fellow Mavicpilots,

View attachment 159416

Maybe somebody else was aware of that, tried it out or even posted it here... I'm sorry... but I'm just baffled by this easy solution for a second screen.

Have a nice weekend!
It's not just a screen to think about, but rather how bright the added screen is. If you can see it in sunlight, it is useless. Take a look at FeelWorld screens, they are the brightest out there. I have a 7 inch 2,200 NITS aux. screen on my Smart Controller and it connects through the HDMI. This is a screen that you can see in bright sunlight and the 7 inch is easily portable and clamps to the S.C. which makes it useful. Your Dell shown, is rather a large screen and I'm sure that in bright sunlight, it won't be very easy to see. Plus, how do you keep such a combination portable?

It's not just a screen to think about, but rather how bright the added screen is. If you can see it in sunlight, it is useless. Take a look at FeelWorld screens, they are the brightest out there. I have a 7 inch 2,200 NITS aux. screen on my Smart Controller and it connects through the HDMI. This is a screen that you can see in bright sunlight and the 7 inch is easily portable and clamps to the S.C. which makes it useful. Your Dell shown, is rather a large screen and I'm sure that in bright sunlight, it won't be very easy to see. Plus, how do you keep such a combination portable?
It is a 300 nit screen, but not everyone flies in direct sun. It folds flat for transport, requires no external batteries or AC power, unlike the FeelWorld, and could be mounted on a steering wheel with a lip tray, or the console while flying from inside a car or truck, for an even larger 14” display, similar to a large iPad. I ordered one last night from Amazon to see how useful it is, compared to the 7” and 10.5” FeelWorld screens with the LifThor RC Pro mount, which I also own, along with the Moverio BT-40 Smart Glasses. We'll see!

I know it’s too dark for direct sunlight. Had the same problem before my RC / RC Pro times when flying with an iPad or iPhone. Always used a sun hood for it.

I actually also thought about placing it in the shadow of my Vans Trunk (e.g. for a spectator) while standing besides it and flying.

I just want to increase the number of use cases for this nice screen :)

Hi fellow Mavicpilots,

View attachment 159416

Have a nice weekend!
Thanks for the information

I know it’s too dark for direct sunlight. Had the same problem before my RC / RC Pro times when flying with an iPad or iPhone. Always used a sun hood for it.

I actually also thought about placing it in the shadow of my Vans Trunk (e.g. for a spectator) while standing besides it and flying.

I just want to increase the number of use cases for this nice screen :)
I'll be looking for any excuse to keep it! It looks like it could have multiple applications! Thanks for sharing the find!

Reactions: TVQ and calmar81
How are you clamping it to the S.C.? Interested and thank you

How are you clamping it to the S.C.? Interested and thank you
LiftThor makes a device but it's expensive at over $100, though is excellent quality and workmanship. I bought one from a guy on ebay that makes a 3D printed hard plastic unit that cost me $44. It goes around the bottom of the SC and holds the monitor on the top of the SC yet allows the antennas to be open and free behind the screen. So I see the screen showing my camera view plus easily see my SC screen for all the flight details. The holder screws in at the base of the SC and snaps on around the top section to hold the monitor in tight and solidly.

Reactions: Jiker69
LiftThor makes a device but it's expensive at over $100, though is excellent quality and workmanship. I bought one from a guy on ebay that makes a 3D printed hard plastic unit that cost me $44. It goes around the bottom of the SC and holds the monitor on the top of the SC yet allows the antennas to be open and free behind the screen. So I see the screen showing my camera view plus easily see my SC screen for all the flight details. The holder screws in at the base of the SC and snaps on around the top section to hold the monitor in tight and solidly.
Do you have this one?

FEELWORLD LUT7 7 Inch Ultra Bright 2200nit Touch Screen Camera DSLR Field Monitor with 3D Lut Waveform Vectorscope Automatic Light Sensor 1920x1200 Video Assist 4K HDMI Input 8.4V DC Output

Do you have this one?

FEELWORLD LUT7 7 Inch Ultra Bright 2200nit Touch Screen Camera DSLR Field Monitor with 3D Lut Waveform Vectorscope Automatic Light Sensor 1920x1200 Video Assist 4K HDMI Input 8.4V DC Output

No, that is a newer version of my monitor. I have the older one, that was not touch screen and was not 4K screen. Mine is the FW 279S 2,200Nits 7 inch screen. Mine was $235 new but I got it as an open box sale on eBay for $177. The one you noted above is one of the neweror newest screens they offer. I think they even do a 10 inch display now.

No, that is a newer version of my monitor. I have the older one, that was not touch screen and was not 4K screen. Mine is the FW 279S 2,200Nits 7 inch screen. Mine was $235 new but I got it as an open box sale on eBay for $177. The one you noted above is one of the neweror newest screens they offer. I think they even do a 10 inch display now.
Yup. I have it! Great upgrade for an external monitor for the RC Pro, when you need or want an even larger screen!

Reactions: Jiker69
Yup. I have it! Great upgrade for an external monitor for the RC Pro, when you need or want an even larger screen!

LifThor is a reseller, they make the mounts, expensive but well made. You should be able to get these monitors direct from Feelworld or B&H in NYC or on eBay. They are great monitors though.

Reactions: PAW
LifThor is a reseller, they make the mounts, expensive but well made. You should be able to get these monitors direct from Feelworld or B&H in NYC or on eBay. They are great monitors though.
Indeed! I got mine shipped directly from Feelworld in China for free, with no sales tax, saving the outrageous shipping costs from Norway from LifThor (which are not really their fault, but still expensive!).

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser