DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

External storage large files

Deepwater

Reactions
I am trying to figure out how I should store and make sure I always have access to and do not lose my picture and video files I take with my Mavic 2 Pro. I use 4K and I am unable to store them all on my laptop. Will eventually need multiple TB of storage.

What are safe and secure storage options where I do not need to worry about loss of data?

1. External hard drive(s) and if so, what type and brands are known for quality?
2. Cloud storage, what options work well?

I imagine members of the community strugle with the same issue on where to store to ensure these large files are not lost because of computer or hard drive failure.

No one solution is safe. Hard drives eventually fail, forgetting to pay the cloud storage bill or eventually not being able to afford it has it become inaccessible or deleted.

Probably external hard-drives is your best option. Make copies on at least 2 drives so if one starts to or completely fails, you have the other one as a backup. Just be sure you replace the failed one before the backup eventually fails.

You can also consider cloud storage as a backup solution.

As for what brands/models of hard-drives are most reliable, I find that changes over time. At one point Seagate may be best, but then you start seeing their latest drives have problems and Western Digital reliably improves when before they had issues.

Reactions: Mrmund
I am trying to figure out how I should store and make sure I always have access to and do not lose my picture and video files I take with my Mavic 2 Pro. I use 4K and I am unable to store them all on my laptop. Will eventually need multiple TB of storage.

What are safe and secure storage options where I do not need to worry about loss of data?

1. External hard drive(s) and if so, what type and brands are known for quality?

I imagine members of the community strugle with the same issue on where to store to ensure these large files are not lost because of computer or hard drive failure.
It’s a massive issue! Solid state drives are fairly cheap these days and besides read and write speed I don’t know that one brand is that much better than another.

I have some better insight on the cloud storage.

DO NOT USE ICLOUD! It’s horrible and it’s been a nightmare trying to get my videos back from them.

Id say google drive has been the best cloud storage option I’ve tried. What’s nice about google is they will of course keep your original files but they will also encode copies automatically so you can play the video back in the cloud without having to download the video files. you can also get the google drive desktop app and “clone” your local storage drive to the cloud. This way you don’t have to manually add stuff. When you add a file to local drive you have set to be the “cloned” drive it will automatically upload that file to the cloud. If you delete a file on the local drive it will delete that file in the cloud as well.

The issue with video and cloud storage is that downloading them back to your local storage is tricky. Even if you have high speed internet you’ll only get the bandwidth they will let you have so it could take days to download them back but that’s better than losing them forever.

I can share how I do it ;)
I have a laptop with 3 SSD's so I can have all with me,
BUT I have 3 NAS (Network Attached Storage - cheap nowadays) 2 at home (different rooms ;) ) and one outside + 2 USB HDD's - and use SecondCopy to sync my media directory with all of them - A, almost forgot it - I use Veracrypt on external storages (I am not sure why might be legacy of corporate past ;) ) so all content is encrypted - the only solution for proper data protection is MULTIPLE Copies and Clear and Followed Procedures ;)
Hope it helps

I used to use Carbonite cloud backup but too many issues.Slow upload,frequent reinstalling of software.
I now use Backblaze.In 6 months of use no issues and much faster uploading on same computer.A bit cheaper too.I also use a spinning hard drive backup but will upgrade soon to an SSD.An Apple rep told me that Icloud is not intended to be a backup solution but strictly a sharing among devices method.

Most cloud storage have apps that sync between them and PC. Some are better than others in controlling what stays on your PC.

Backblaze now has an option to keep the data you delete beyond the normal 30 days

YouTube allows unlimited storage of any private or unlisted 4K videos uploaded under a free YT account. That's what I use, after editing! Easy access for everyone else with the direct URL, if you keep them unlisted.

I have a Qnap nas where store myy raw files anf final videos. These files are backed up to a futher of site NAS and that backed uo to cloud storage.

When on the road i daily copy from SD cards to a laptop and when i can get online clpy to my home NAS which is backed up as above.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Large capacity(typically 0.5/1TB) SSD drives credit card size and very light - fit in shirt pocket easily are cheap these days and a very useful extra. e.g. see here. I copy my SD onto one and plug in to TV to check them out and show/bore others with the content. Main storage is on multiple NAS's. I have numerous Google Drive accounts if I need Cloud storage.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121