DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Extremely close encounter with a bird!

Vaideeshwar

Reactions
I would've almost lost my MA2 yesterday to a bird! It is definitely not the first time I encountered a bird, but definitely the most scariest!
I usually fly up to 100m right after takeoff to avoid any birds flying the Dallas area. My protocol when I encounter a bird is to switch the aircraft to sport mode and push the throttle to max. That usually helps me gain altitude after which I fly away from the bird. Mostly, curious birds just fly close to the drone and don't really bother it.

Yesterday, however, this bird viciously circled my drone. When I say circled, it was like a meter away from the drone. This started when I was 75m up in the air and no attempt to fly away would have worked since I was afraid of crashing it into buildings/cars/people. My only option was to lower the altitude (since the then-current position of the drone was over a grass land), which I did and this bird circled my drone down until 5 m away from the ground! I think it was a predatory bird since it rarely flapped its wings after it flew away (it wasn't large either).

This incident has me thinking about the worst- what would happen if the mavic indeed gets attacked by it? I am assuming that the bird will suffer injuries from the props, but that impact should also lower the rpm of the bird-impacted motor, causing the Mavic to tilt on one side. Would the Mavic come crashing to the ground because of the tilt (usually tilting the mavic shuts it off, right?) or would the motor regain its rpm and cause the aircraft to stabilize some point below the original altitude? If anything, I think the folding props help the drone in this case because the pro would simply fold at the time of impact, killing the flow of stress at the pivot point rather than transmitting it all the way to the center of the prop, as it would in the case of a non-folding prop.

Can anybody who has encountered a similar situation share how they dealt with it? And would anybody have any comment on the protocol I followed (lowering it) when this bird started circling my drone?

Reactions: phantomi
Birds don't really want to hit the drone, they may get close to "scare it away" but I don't think they would hit it.
That is what I thought until yesterday. This bird's trajectory was literally a helix (since I made my drone descend) with a radius of about a meter (my drone as the center). When it came close to ground, I could see that its legs were out and pointing towards the drone. It was definitely trying to grab the drone at the least.

Reactions: JimCanada
Its already happened to a user on here

...And would anybody have any comment on the protocol I followed (lowering it) when this bird started circling my drone?
Not based on personal experience, but I would think you should increase altitude instead of lowering. Birds normally attack from above and raising up would take away that option. Of course, the bird may follow you up but the attack angle would be reduced.

Springtime is nesting time and birds get more aggressive guarding their territory. I especially avoid seagulls. They are big birds that have a history of taking down drones.

After yesterday, I am keen on
Not based on personal experience, but I would think you should increase altitude instead of lowering. Birds normally attack from above and raising up would take away that option. Of course, the bird may follow you up but the attack angle would be reduced.

Springtime is nesting time and birds get more aggressive guarding their territory. I especially avoid seagulls. They are big birds that have a history of taking down drones.
Yeah, by default, I have programmed myself to elevate and fly away in sport mode. The reason I decreased altitude is
1. Lowering altitude means if the drone gets hit, it would crash from a relatively lower height
2. when I tried going up, it simply kept spiraling around the drone without losing interest. I figured the only way I could lose it is if it were to get close to the ground (which is what happened ultimately). When the aircraft was about 7m away from ground, it flew away.

I could have tried flying away horizontally, but since the bird was spiraling around the drone, I would have definitely hit it. Also, if was still going to be in pursuit, then the collision could have occured in a place that might create an incident (above people, cars, property).

Raptors come in all sizes, robin sized kestrels , crow sized merlins all the way up to the hawks, ospreys and eagles.
Kestrels have no fear. They’ve been to attack 18 wheelers and trains.

Reactions: Vaideeshwar
I have no video as the bird crashed into my drone from the side while drone was facing me for landing... but I have the log files were you can see that the drone just "falls out of the sky" with no tree around & no motor error... and yes, it was a very scary moment. I think it was a pigeon give the size and it was just above my house ... but I could be wrong. No circling around or try to intimidate the drone .. just a flash flying into the drone which felt directly out of the sky .. I kept my eyes on the drone to try to recover it but with 3 m no chance .. so I missed to see the bird flying away

• Wow
Reactions: CFWB
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoBeeshy